Why my Right Leg is tired after riding?

tmho

1 kW
I ride ebike just for fun. Yesterday, I rode for around 25km which was the longest one I have ever ridden. Originally, I thought that if I use electric power all the time, then I should not feel tired. But I found that my right leg is tired. May be this is because of my leg/foot position during riding. My right foot usually stays at 90 or 180 degrees when not peddling. Is this the cause of my tiredness? Is there something like foot rest which can be installed onto the bike so that the legs will not be tired?

Well, you could just keep changing the position of your feet on the pedals, if you're not pedalling. Move one up, the ohter down, then vice-versa, etc. ;) That's what I do when my knees/etc hurt to much to even ghost-pedal.

But if that's more movement than you want to (or can) make, and you are not going to use the pedals at all, then you could replace your pedals with those hollow tube footpegs found on some BMX bikes' axle-mount points.

Or just replace the whole BB with a nice long bolt or threaded rod, with washers and nuts to clamp it to the BB shell. Then you can either bolt platforms for your feet onto it, or just rest them directly onto it. If you use the right diameter rod, you can take the bearings and shafts out of the pedals themselves, and bolt those onto the rod.

If you keep your body tensed in one position for long the muscles will complain. The solution is to PEDAL. Pedaling along even with light pressure will get your blood flowing and make you feel better. Riding a bike long distances without pedaling can be tedious. Pedaling gets your mind and body engaged in the ride so you'll enjoy it more.

-R

BTW, if you don't have your bike set up for a proper riding position it will hurt. The biggest mistake I see is folks with the seat too low. If you don't know how to adjust your bike properly do some research or find someone to help you. Sometimes however it just takes a bit of trial and error to get the fit dialed in. For me it can come down to a degree on the seat angle, or a fraction of an inch on seat height, fore/aft position or handlebar height to make a 30-50 mile ride an enjoyable one or torture.

-R

What I have found is that when I'm not pedaling I end up supporting a lot of my weight using my feet on the pedals. I'm almost always with the right foot down position, meaning a lot of my weight is on my right foot.

I'm not positive, but I think part of the reason I do this might be due to saddle discomfort. If I had a nicer saddle, perhaps I wouldn't subconsciously be moving more of my weight off it.

I also think it helps with handling. Weight supported on the pedals means a lower center of gravity than weight supported on the saddle. Perhaps my body is feeling this difference and my brain subconsciously tells me to put more weight on the pedals because it likes the handling improvements.

Either way, I don't really know why I do it, but that's what happens and its a similar symptom to what you're describing.

I just have to pedal some when on the longest rides. Even with a well fitted bike, not pedaling leads to a numb ass at least.

I can't pedal the whole ride on a 60-80 mile day, so I pedal 10 min, rest 5, pedal 10 more. Pedaling takes weight off your ass unless it's a pedal forward bike. Mostly you stand the pedals, and put little weight on the saddle. But if you stand on just one leg, one leg tires.

Thank you everybody for your comments and suggestions. They are all reasonable and I will look into them. Let's enjoy our rides.

Back