wide 20 inch wheels - Australia (review)

Sean9002

1 kW
Hey guys,

this one is more for the aussies, but there may be international shipping, im not sure.
I purchased a set of wide 20 inch BMX wheels from cyclingdeal.com.au. Same site I purchased my DNM forks from.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/bmx-bike-wheels-wheelset-wide-rim/ZJS800

Got the wheel set delivered for $120 ($9.95 via Fastway to Geelong)
They seem reasonably robust but time will tell as its going on my Oset 24 for trials tires.
From a quick check they seem to fit a Pirelli scorpion MX tire (16 90/100) pretty well, but will take some work with tyre levers to get it on and I haven't had a chance to test.
http://www.motorcycletyresplus.com.au/motorcycle-tyres/pirelli-scorpion-mx-extra-j-rear/

I have the black set with red rim tape. Looks very nice, but again, not sure of the quality so I will replace it with a higher quality tape.
There should be just enough room to get a rim lock in there. It comes with a 9 tooth BMX freewheel on the rear hub.

And some pics...

This shot doesn't really measure accurately. Its actually 42.5mm internal width.

Overall not bad bang for the buck. The wheels are true and weigh in at just under 3kg (2.8kg)
Time will tell how strong they are, but I intend to find out. :twisted:

Fitted the Pirelli tyre.
Was very worried about the side walls of the rim. Its a heavy side walled tyre and I was using motorbike tyre levers. The Rim held up fine, there are a few marks on the paint from the levers. but otherwise fine.

No tube fitted so the rim will have a snug fit.

The wheel loosely slung on a stock Oset 20 frame. For comparison, the front is a Halo SAS 24inch dirt jump wheel with a Duro Leopard 3 inch tyre.
The Pirelli ended up with an overall diameter of 23.5 inches, the front being closer to 26.

Yes, you are doing right with at wheel combo. I only have 24s up font and back but I like what you're doing there I think with so much torgue and marginal control the rear tire grab is key.

I still have my GM sitting on the shelf. mad at myself. I've been using the pack I bought for it on my LR bb. About to put it on a Glory. tough decisions.

Way to go Seano. Do you still need that 20" rim at my place? I might have a use.

Oh and did I mention, think i found a trials frame. Look out brother!
Do the hubs on those wheels have a disc attachment?

Back