Repairing an IGO FS AL frame

ddk

100 kW
...because this:igo1.jpgView attachment 2igo3.jpgigo funni.jpg
The owner had to do an extreme braking maneuver, causing him to fly above the handlebars at a place where I also had to dump my trike once.
The damage to the bike is fairly extensive as noted in the pics.
LOL-he tried to fix the frame damage with JB Weld (not adept at repair, apparently)
The bike is full suspension, using mid-tier components.

Not really that cognizant with AL-famed bikes, I'm wondering if the frame is worth repairing.
The frame broke at the motor-mount/seat tube attachment thingy as shown.
Apparently one needs to replace the complete gear housing ($340) for the crank shaft fix.

note- These bikes are currently selling new for $1k, according to their website.

Is it a secret as to what band the bike is?
Alum. bike frames are not all created equal.

oops

igo bike

It's one of the first semi-inexpensive bike to feature a mid-motor driving the pedal crank.
The other one was made by the same factory...

The owner now knows to stop when approaching any vehicle attempting to enter a street.
My personal experience sez "they don't see you" "ever"

At that place, it is easy to repair. I wouldn't recommend doing it if it was at the head tube or rear triangle but this kind of repair is not likely to distort the frame geometry. Add some sheet AL if you need to to make it stronger, weld generously and spray paint. This frame is sh*t, you won't make it any worse anyway. Make it solid and the owner can ride.

per usual
Thanks everyone for answering my query! :)

MadRhino said:
At that place, it is easy to repair. I wouldn't recommend doing it if it was at the head tube or rear triangle but this kind of repair is not likely to distort the frame geometry. Add some sheet AL if you need to to make it stronger, weld generously and spray paint. This frame is sh*t, you won't make it any worse anyway. Make it solid and the owner can ride.

If the frame was steel I'd have no issues with this. I've done all sorts of wacky things to my bikes (trikes) frames.

The IGO repair guys contacted the owner today.
According to them this was a common problem with this frame and is safe to repair as MadRhino suggested*

Also, they sell the crank separately for $20.

* red=Mad+they don't offer this frame for sale anymore
"a good thang"

the saga continues:
[youtube]aLYkfqgKQMo[/youtube]

as has been mentioned many times, the igo and tonaro are the same bike, from the same factory and use the (obviously) same parts.

No wonder the crank shaft broke where it did, as the crank retaining bolts were TORQUED ON using at least a 300# impact wrench (set to 300# or whatever the equivalent metric newtons are).
Dis-assembly was... difficult.
Actually, most the bolts were over torqued at the factory.
Currently at a stopping point trying to remove the prawl (second to the last step)

Interesting fax:
Controller is rated for 5A continuous, 7A peak.
The gearbox is a single stage reduction.
The bike climbs hills just fine (in low gear)

The owner just got frustrated enuff to take his ball and go home... bye bye.

not like I was charging him for anything lol. But I've been less than helpful these last few days.

As far as I'm concerned the IGO is not a BSO,... it just suffered from a poor frame design and exuberant assembly done by King Kong at the factory.
The 'bike' components are all mid-tier.

Back