EBike repair/work stand

melodious

100 kW
Do you folks use a repair/work stand for your heavy EBike :?: If so, what stand do you use? I'm on the lookout for a reliable bicycle workstand at home without the need to turn the bike upside down.

Here's a list of popular bike stands from a reviewer. He gave the Feedback Sports Pro Elite the highest rating. Even the others on this list aren't a pushover by any means.

http://bike-repair-stand.org/

My Ebike probably weighs at least 25 kg (50+ lbs) roundabout.

I have 3 means to avoid a work stand, according to what I need to do:

1- I flip it upside down
2- I lay it on the side
3- I hang it to the ceiling

:wink:

For $30 more there other stand is rated for 85lbs, 20 more than the top rated value. $179 delivered.

Feedback Sports Pro Ultralight Bicycle Repair Stand

I'm leaning towards the Park Tool Deluxe Bench Mount Repair Stand - PRS-4 OS. Pricy but versatile. Sadly I'm not experienced enough to know if it's over kill. How important is it to be able to spin a bike for repairs? I did find that my $800 sport bike Kendon lift saved me time, money and strain working on my scooter and I recovered 80% of my investment when I sold the quality lift. I tend to think about resale value of tools. I recovered 75% of my investment when I bought top of the line scooter tools. That and saved even more doing all my own work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 10.34.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 10.34.16 AM.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 3,624
My main rides couldn't be held up by any of the normal bike workstands, either becuase of shape or weight. ;) I work on them at ground level now (though I used to have a very-well-built all-steel 6' rackmount cabinet on it's side that was a good workbench before it was stolen); someday I'll build another workbench for them so I don't have to sit, lay, and/or crawl on the ground to do everything.

But for those that would fit on one, I'd probably build one of my own, based on the many designs out there, from LadyAda to Instructables, etc.

https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-welded-bike-stand

I personally use a combination of stands. I have an old Park stand that I picked up for a steal on craigslist. That is great for working on light bike (even heavy sometimes).

But if I can get away with it, I have a bicycle stand that holds the bike by the chain stays. It's good for most things besides mounting a rear motor, which I do with the bike leaning against something most times anyway. It is a bit flimsy sometimes, so I am going to be getting a motorcycle stand from Harbor Freight. They can be had for about $35 and will definitely handle an ebike. User evolutiongts turned me onto one of those, but I haven't picked one up yet.

Is this the style of stand your referring to? $30 price point, not too shabby 8)

Here's Harbor Freight's link to MC stands if you can guide me to it. Guess I'll PM "Evolutiongts" for clarification too.

I know Harbor Fright is popular especially given the price point. I have been burned to many times by their crap and tool failures.
I'd rather pinch pennies and get something I can turn turn back into cash if I upgrade or if my needs change. I've owned to many boat anchors already.

melodious said:
Is this the style of stand your referring to? $30 price point, not too shabby 8)

Here's Harbor Freight's link to MC stands if you can guide me to it. Guess I'll PM "Evolutiongts" for clarification too.

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to.

tomjasz said:
I know Harbor Fright is popular especially given the price point. I have been burned to many times by their crap and tool failures.
I'd rather pinch pennies and get something I can turn turn back into cash if I upgrade or if my needs change. I've owned to many boat anchors already.

I can understand your hesitance. Most of their stuff is very cheap (ie crappy). But a good deal of their items work 'well enough'. I think this stand would fall into that category, especially for bike duty since it was designed for motorcycles. Might suck on actual motorcycles. :wink:

I definitely don't by hand tools that I expect extended use from HF. But for heavy metal type things, I'll go there. I bought a nice cherry picker there for real cheap. It worked well for pulling and installing a couple car motors so far. And my hydraulic crimper works well even though it's super heavy.

Most of the work I do on my ebikes, I use the double leg kickstand on the bike to elevate the back wheel off the ground. Main weight is the hub motor in my case. After each ride, I remove the batteries from the bike anyway. I use a couple sets of batteries for all 7 ebikes, since you could only ride one at a time, once I had 2 ebikes out, one for me and one for a friend.
If i need it higher, I have a Park bike stand that I can use, since most of my ebikes are small wheels(16" and 20"), they are not that heavy. My mountain bike(26" wheel) with a 9c clone is heavy, and I use mainly the kickstand for it, there is really not that much maintainence to do.

If you have room in your garage, those cheap $8 HF bicycle hoist work great. I'm even using one on my Motoped, but with tie downs instead of the supplied hooks due to the weight of the engine. The ability to change the work height makes it very useful. Just change out the supplied rope with a real one.

I'm currently looking for a strong workstand as well for indoor use and travel. Keep the post coming on what has worked for you for a portable ebike work stand. The lightweight ones concern me due to Ebikes generally weight in above 75lbs.

I found one on sale on Pushys in Aus. It may also be available overseas. Anyway I'm leaning towards this one because it has 4 support legs whereas many others have 2 or 3. Looks like you could easily sandbag it for added stability.

http://www.pushys.com.au/vulcan-repair-stand.html

44lbs Max load, trying to find something stronger. Let us know how you like it, since several Mfgr use a similiar design.

eMax said:
I found one on sale on Pushys in Aus. It may also be available overseas. Anyway I'm leaning towards this one because it has 4 support legs whereas many others have 2 or 3. Looks like you could easily sandbag it for added stability.

http://www.pushys.com.au/vulcan-repair-stand.html

Sorry to check in late to this thread.

My observation is that most bicycle work stand solutions are marginal even for heavier pedal bikes and normal maintenance procedures. Most of the better shop stands I've used have been largely custom-made. For instance, the main work stand at my shop has a sturdy thick-walled steel column welded to a heavy floor flange that's attached to the floorboards with bolts and nuts. It had sockets for two Park Tool heads, one on each side, but it's been retrofitted with EVT Right Arm clamps. That's a good example of a work stand that is both very expensive and required custom fabrication.

If I were to set up a stand for my own shop, I'd use an EVT Right Arm (it costs over $350 and is, in fact, worth at least what it costs) mounted to a large diameter steel column-- at least 4" in diameter and preferably bigger-- bolted with anchors to a concrete floor. I know that doesn't help most folks who aren't in business to service bikes, but that's what I'd do.

For servicing a heavy e-bike at home, I'd consider a hoist rather than a stand.

As you've found, there are lots of DIY solutions which may suit your needs however, you asked about repair stands so I will comment on the 2 I use daily: Park PCS-10 and Bike Hand YC-100BH (produced under many names).

Both their jobs well, the Park easily takes my roughly 100lbs bike while the Bike Hand does well with the 45-55lbs bikes. My preference is the Park as it is a much better stand, my only complaint would be the clamp is quite big and would prefer to have the micro clamp like on their PRS-25 to get into the small place on some bikes. But I do see a fair variety of bike/ebike designs w/ various racks and gadgets installed by manufacturers/customers alike and some are not very conducive to the use of a bike stand clamp.

Only other thing to be aware of with these stands is depending on weight and clamping position they may fall over (sideways) so sand bags/weights over the legs would be helpful (though i still dont do this). This is much more noticeable the the Bike Hand stand where the Park has only been an issue when I have my DH ebike (w/ front mounted batteries) clamped to or by the seat post and so it is completely horizontal. Otherwise, i found both stands are usable and stable.

newb, I like the link on the pcs-10, it says it's rated to 100lbs. After seeing the video, it looks very well built and portable. I normally use a hoist, but this is setup in the garage. During winter months I need a temporary work area in the house, as well as a travel one for road trips I plan to do in the summer.

kfong, I did a fair bit of research before buying the Park; I too wanted a portable, stable, high weight capacity and cost effective stand. At the time of purchase it had virtually all positive reviews, the highest published weight rating of all the portable stands and was the most cost effective choice that seemed to tick all my boxes. Since then it has met all my needs, except for the occasional need for a smaller the clamp size, so I can confidently recommend the PCS-10 to those on ES who are in the market for a high weight capacity portable stand.

As a side not, I also purchased the Feedback Pro Elite (at almost 2x the price) as a backup but the Park did the job so well that I sold the FBPE w/o even opening and trying it.

And as a 2nd side note, I use the Feedback FLOP STOP (Handlebar Holder) and imho it's the best I've seen/used.

Hi everyone...
I would like to know what work stands you use with your E-Bikes. I have a Surly Pugsley that is relatively heavy to begin with, but now that I am installing an electric hub and a battery, I am afraid that most regular stand won't support the weight. Also, most stands clamp to the seat tube, and I am a little concerned about that too....again because of the weight. I would like a stand that would allow me to spin the pedals in order to work on brakes, ect.

Any suggetsions?

EF

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64379&p=966149&hilit=work+stand#p966149

Back