Curios about this 35mm 1500W motor

diggler

1 kW
Hi I've tried to bring this motor up a couple of times.
http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/gearless-20-24-26-700c-28-inch/newest-48v-1500w-rear-spoke-hub-motor-electric-bike-motor-998.html
I seen it said 90.5% efficiency, 731 rpm and 35mm magnets. So my main question is this a new 9c 35mm stator motor?
Most motors say somewhere in the 80's for efficiency and 600 rpm, so I'm wondering if this means this motor has thinner laminations of the magnets? It also sais it has maximum copper fill. Would this motor give the crystalyte 35 series a run for there money?

Is this the same motor?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/KRT01-2015-New-Style-Black-48V-1500W-Brushless-Gearless-Thread-in-Hub-Motor-for-Rear-Wheel/32250865361.html

I've been actually talking with leafbikes through email tonight. This is what I've been able to get outta them.

bottom to top..
Today at 2:17 AM

Yes,we can make a temp sensor inside motor.

* about max 600rpm,500rpm,400rpm,300rpm,200rpm..We also can make it.

----- Original Message -----

To: Leaf Bike

Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 4:11 PM

Subject: Re: 1500w rear DD hub motor

Can you make with a temp sensor?

Can you give me a list of winds?

 Hide message history

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 1:36 AM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

Yes,we have 1500w front.The price is the same to rear.

Yes,we have 26" * 4"rim 12g spokes.

* Yes,we can make different windings.

Magnat: 46pcs 35mm height.

To: sales@leafbike.com

Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 3:17 PM

Subject: 1500w rear DD hub motor

Do you also make a front one?

I plan on using for a fat tire bike 26"x4".

Can you mount on 26"x4" rim 12g spokes?

Do you have different windings available?

What is the thickness of the magnet laminations?

thanks

shaun
Haha I love there way of telling me what wind these motors are.
Well I guess that answers the question of why this one has 731 rpm when the rest seem to be at 600. It just has a lower turn count. That's probably the only thing that makes it "NEW".

I'm starting to ask some of the harder questions.

bottom to top
Today at 3:17 AM

Yes okay 48volt with 500rpm motor and 29"OD tire is about 55kmh?

Does 500rpm motor have same copper fill and 90.5% efficiency?

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:09 AM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

500rpm motor.About 55kmh on flat road.

Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 4:54 PM

Which one do you recommend for 29" OD tire?

more bottom to top

Today at 3:40 AM

Okay how much for one front 500rpm with temp sensor in 26"x4" wheel 12g spokes? And one rear 500rpm with temp sensor and 7 speed in 26"x4" wheel 12g spokes?

Can you upgrade phase wires if requested?

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 3:28 AM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

Yes,it has.

Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2015 5:17 PM

Yes okay 48volt with 500rpm motor and 29"OD tire is about 55kmh?

Does 500rpm motor have same copper fill and 90.5% efficiency?

more updates

Today at 4:17 AM

how much to upgrade phase wires and shipping to saint paul, mn 55106 USA?

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 4:08 AM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

The price for 1 pcs of 26 * 4" 12g spokes 48V 1500W front hub motor is $250USD (Just wheel,without tire,No controller,LCD,throttle..)

The price for 1 pcs of 26 * 4" 12g spokes 48V 1500W rear hub motor is $250USD (with 7 speed,just wheel,withou tire,No controller,LCD,throttle)

** Not include shipping cost.

** We can upgrade phase wires if possible.

final email

Today at 1:14 PM

Yes I understand about the axle.

I need time to think.

You have been very helpful!

Thank you!

Shaun

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:16 AM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

If possbile,we can upgrade phase wires.

Sometimes,upgrade wires,need to modify axle,also modify bearing,cover..

The shipping cost for these two 26 inch parcels is $280USD

okay really the last email now
reading of email still go's bottom to top.
Very nice of them to upgrade axle and wires for free.
Still 140 for shipping per motor/wheel :shock:
I really think these are better motors but for $350 (just motor) total for front and rear from Aliexpress I think the difference is not that drastic. I bet the ali dealer might even work with me too. Although I've never had much luck with sellers on there. If there was no shipping cost from leaf it would be worth it.

Anybody have any input???

Still $250USD per hub motor with 26*4 rim.

Total price: $780USD

We will not charge you other fee for customize.

Not modify axle,we can ship parcels in 2 days.

* If modify axle,it takes about 7-10 days,then we can ship it.Because axle factory is busy,not would like to make two sample axle.

Don't worry.We can get this axle and customize this motor.

Best Regards

Peter

Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2015 2:07 PM

4mm is good.

spacing is okay.

Peter

Thanks for all your help. You've been very informative and accommodating.

How much would the modifications cost per motor?

The next time I contact you I will be ready to make a purchase. I just need to think about it for a while.

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 11:51 PM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

731 rpm is okay.

10AWG is okay if possible.Need to customize 10AWG spokes. ( I don't get this part, a little miscommunication)

* Phase wire is 2.0mm.Because no enough room to put thicker wires.

* If possible,we also can make wire to be 4mm.Need to modify axle.If we modify axle,we also need to use other cover to make it.(the bearing is bigger).But the spacing of front motor will more than 120mm,the rear hub motor will be about 155mm.

Best Regards

Peter

Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2015 1:33 PM

If I did want to upgrade wires I'd probably get the 731 rpm motor.

Then I would like 10 AWG if possible, but 12 AWG would be okay.

What are the phase wires now? 2.5mm?

On Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:58 PM, Leaf Bike <sales@leafbike.com> wrote:

Modify axle is also okay.We could use other 2000w hub motor's cover for this motor.

Could you tell us what wire you want to upgarde?

Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2015 3:14 AM

Yes I understand about the axle.

I need time to think.

I think you are doing great! Good job with the negotiations, i learned a couple of things here by reading how you negotiated with the vendor.
4mm phase wires will make a good improvement to the hub motor.

One thing you can ask him is: What is the brand of the motor? There are hundreds of hub motor manufacturers in china so be prepared for some crazy name.
You can also ask if he can ship SAL. That will lower the shipping price to about 110 usd. For me SAL would be awesome cuzz it flies under the radar of the Customs Authorities here in Sweden.
So are you satisfied with his answers? Are you going to order his hub motor soon?

diggler said:
okay really the last email now
reading of email still go's bottom to top.
Very nice of them to upgrade axle and wires for free.
Still 140 for shipping per motor/wheel :shock:
I really think these are better motors but for $350 (just motor) total for front and rear from Aliexpress I think the difference is not that drastic. I bet the ali dealer might even work with me too. Although I've never had much luck with sellers on there. If there was no shipping cost from leaf it would be worth it.

Anybody have any input???

I've seen so far that an upgrade in the phase wires in those 9c motors are a common request. What is the "thing"? For a common build with a 48V 20A max battery, phase wires get to hot? to much electric resistance? Thank You in advance

Ask for the motor test report for the 1500W motor. The one with the 90.5% peak efficiency is the 1000W motor according to the headings on the report itself. It's good to see that someone is making a 3 turn motor as their standard. There's really no need for another winding, since 2 turn motors get more difficult on controllers. See if you can get to tooth/slot count for the stator. One manufacturer was talking about a reduced tooth count stator to go with higher quality thinner steel lams.

Wow great to see some interest in this thread.

Racer_x

You can also ask if he can ship SAL. That will lower the shipping price to about 110 usd. For me SAL would be awesome cuzz it flies under the radar of the Customs Authorities here in Sweden.
So are you satisfied with his answers? Are you going to order his hub motor soon?

Thanks for the suggestion on lowering the shipping. 250 for this motor in any wheel you want with upgraded axle/4mm phase wires and temp sensor make it a great deal. The only thing that makes it not worth it is the shipping.
Is that SAL shipping ~110 usd for both motor/wheels or for one?
And I'm not sure if I am actually going to buy them. I would like to, but I just gotta mxus V1 3000w 4t and a 18fet Infineon to go with it.
I'm going to try the mxus on this build first. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65638
And if the gasser has too hard of a time moving this giant hubbie :) , I'll prob go with these motors.
I was originally going to go with this 1500w motor but I though I should do the 3000w cause of the big dropouts and the big&heavy bike. I know with that logic I should have got a crow but money money money.
Just waiting on spokes, washers, and rim to get the mxus on the bike.
O and a new transmission for the gasser since I broke the last one :cry:

Nubuo
I've seen so far that an upgrade in the phase wires in those 9c motors are a common request. What is the "thing"? For a common build with a 48V 20A max battery, phase wires get to hot? to much electric resistance? Thank You in advance

Yes, stock phase wires are a bottle neck for the guy trying to "hot rod" or push there hub to it's max instantaneous watt limit. It matters more for a lower turn count motor since they have thicker/lower restistance windings. With a higher wind/more turn's motor, it is not as important to have thicker phase wires because as you increase the number of turns the thickness of the windings go's down and the resistance go's up. With the really high turn count motors, probably having a higher resistance in the motor winds than in the stock phase wires. (I think) If your running a 48v 20A controller (not battery), you really don't need to worry about the phase wires. (unless you've modified your controller to push higher phase amps) It's more for if your trying to take that 9c (i'm assuming 1000w) and upgrading your controller to 45amp and higher voltages. Those 9c from what I understand can handle momentary burst over 3kw and 1200-1500w continuous.

John in CR

Always much appreciated to have someone with your extensive experience drop some knowledge/opinions my way.
Ask for the motor test report for the 1500W motor. The one with the 90.5% peak efficiency is the 1000W motor according to the headings on the report itself.
I seen that too, in the header. I just assumed it was for the 1500w motor also, since most of the time they are just too lazy to take separate pictures and list separate specs for there different products if they only differ in one way. But in the email he reiterated that this one had the better quality laminations. That plus higher copper fill is what makes it higher efficiency right? I will try to get the report though.

It's good to see that someone is making a 3 turn motor as their standard.
Yes so you derived the same interpretation to the 731 rpm option as I did. So the 731 is 3 turn. The 600 rpm would be 4 turn right? Is 500 rpm 5 or 6 turn? Is the 400 rpm 6 or 8 turn. 300 rpm, well I don't care after 400 rpm I guess. :lol:

See if you can get to tooth/slot count for the stator.

me:
Do you have different windings available?

What is the thickness of the magnet laminations?

leaf bike:
* Yes,we can make different windings.

Magnat: 46pcs 35mm height.

Does this answer your question?

One manufacturer was talking about a reduced tooth count stator to go with higher quality thinner steel lams.

Really? Is 46 a reduced tooth count? I thought that was pretty standard. But I really don't know. I'm still new to a lot of this stuff.
I didn't see much info at all on the Alibabba sight. I just began to email them last night so we'll see what I can get outta them. Haven't checked back yet, but will keep ya'll posted.

So John I thought you might of liked when I asked for there recommendation for the big o fat 29" OD tire, and they said the higher turn count/slower wind/high torque (MITH) motor. After reading many of your post about how all motors are capable of the same torque and playing with the simulator a lot I totally agree with you. But... :lol:
I am never going to go with smaller OD tire for this build period. (except for maybe a 21" moto rim some day)
I already have a china controller I bought last summer collecting dust and I want to get some use outta.
It's 72V 40A, with 100V caps and 15 4410 fets. So It'll do 96V ~45A right? They said this controller has regen, 3speed and a automatic cruise function. (said once you hold throttle for 8 seconds it will automatically set cruise)
Here are some pics...
20141231_143942.jpg
20141231_143951.jpg
I'm hoping I can get some info on this controller.
Like what wires do what? And if this controller is programmable?
Of course I know what the hall, phase and battery wires are.
And I'm pretty sure:
The 3 wire plug black, red and blue is the 3 speed switch.
The 3 wire plug red, white and black is the throttle switch.
The 1 peach wire is the on/off switch.
I'm less sure about the rest.
Are the 2 white wires connected together the regen enable wires or are they a way of enabling auto cruise?
Are the 2 green wire for auto cruise or regen or for high brake and low brake?
Then that just leaves the 2 wire black and white?
The 1 wire green with yellow stipe?
And finally the 2 white wires that go to the blue plug with a screw in it. Is this a fuse or switch or a way to program?

So my question to you John is, since I am going to be happy with 45mph, (more is always better but with no suspension yet, this is plenty fast) I will be running 29" OD tires, and the amp limit on this controller, Isn't a higher turn count more appropriate for this specific build/application?
Or what is your recommendations for me. Please don't tell me to go to a smaller wheel. I completely understand why this is the golden ticket for all hub motors and I have plans for a future build that will heed these recommendations. But taking into account the big tire, the controller and most of the time I cruise at about 22.5mph, Do you still recommend a lower turn count motor or which one do you recommend? I was thinking because this controller is more amp limited than voltage limited I would used a higher turn motor at 72V then if I wanted more speed, find out how to set the LVC higher so I can still regen and run 84 or 96V. wesnewell sais he's been running the same controller for 2 years at 96V.

Any and all input is much appreciated.
Sorry for the massive post, but in this stage of the game I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous. :twisted:
I can't afford to not be thorough :!:

diggles

I asked them your questions.
Hope I'm not bugging them now. :lol:

That's great news about the upgrades!

My friends have much interest in your motor.

My friends have questions.

Is there any way to lower shipping cost. For me this is the main hindrance.

One of my friend in Sweden asked to ship SAL.

He ask what brand name of motor.

Another friend ask for 1500w motor test report because the one on website sais 1000w motor on it.

We'll see how it go's.

Here was there reply. I'm not going to ask anymore about shipping. If you actually want to buy this from them then you can work that out with them at that time. Seems like run around to me anyway. They already know all my information and what the item number is so I'm not going to play that game. If I do decide to buy these I will try and get shipping down for myself.
As far as brand go's they seem to say it is leaf bike's motor. And good news on the 1500w spec sheet. We'll see.

Today at 9:01 PM

Hello Shaun

Differnet Item,different country has different shipping cost.Ship battery is more expensive than other Items,Also the vol.of parcel is larger,the shipping fee cost more.

* If possible,please tell use Item Number and country.We will check the shipping cost with our shipping company again so that can find a lower shipping cost.

* Motor is our company made.So we can customize as your actual need.

* We have 1500 test report,but didn't upload it to our site.We will upload it in 2 days.

Best Regards

Peter

Some more emailing.
They said they'd have motor test report up in two days, but just put a new package with the same 1000w report.
I waited a while and asked them again for the report...

Jan 4

Okay

Thank you for your time.

Look forward to see the test report

Today at 5:05 PM

I saw a new package up on your web site, but still has same 1000w test report.

Can you show your test report for the 1500w motor?

Okay they replied.
Here it is..

Today at 6:03 PM

We put 1500w test report on our site on Jan 5th.

Could you check 1500w kits page?

Thanks.

me

Today at 6:17 PM

Ok great! Thanks!

I was just looking at the motor not the kit.
Here is the report.
http://www.leafbike.com/u_file/images/15_01_05/0a32577ead.jpg

Wow! wow! i am genuinely impressed. To interpolate the test results a little, i'd guess that at 2000w continuous, you'd be seeing a 250w heat loss, which could probably be sustained for a decent period of time. I would guess that this is actually a 1750w or higher continuous motor, if the spec sheet is correct.

On a 26" wheel, this motor should be able to handle a nice continuous 35mph with bursts of 40mph lasting maybe 1-5 miles without worries of overheating on 48v. You'll just need a controller that can dish out a shit-ton of amps at low voltage, IE a 12FET with 3077 FETs or 18FET with 3077/4110 FETs.

That's it I'm pretty much sold on these motors for my Sikk gas electric build. Still going to mount the MXUS 3000w in it just cause I already got everything to do it, but now will start looking for the next bike for the MXUS. :lol:

Nice I hope these motors test well with you and you can give teslanv ur recommendation.

Back