I think I might have something worthy of contribution here, no idea what the margin of error might be with the Turnigy Power & Watt Meter, but yesterday I hauled a kiddy trailer behind the bike using a Amped Bikes 9 x 7 DD rear hub motor to go 30 miles with an average speed of about 13 MPH according to the trail tech, I was shooting for about 18MPH most of the time just my eye-ball, lots of hills, some up to 10% grade, most closer to 4-5% and I had about 50lbs of gear + the kiddy trailer to haul my newly built nuvinci wheel.
I went really conservative since I had no idea what my range would be with this set-up, and pedaling was about as much as I can on a long trip with this kind of weight (amazing how much difference that trailer makes, with this same weight on my back it wasn't half as difficult!
) so I tried my best to keep the draw around 200 - 250W most of the time, and for the hills I had a peak of 1000W, but most of the time just 400-700W was enough to go up the hills, but I was beat after this trip, not so much hard pedaling, as marathon moderate pedaling.
Here are the basics:
1. Efficiency: 13 Watts/Mile
2. Speed average 14 MPH on the computer (my normal cruising speed was about 18MPH, pedal starts only, no power used until up to 10+ MPH)
3. Gradient 4 - 10% with lots of small hills in-between with a coulple 2 - 3 mile long moderate hills, and the big momma, about 2 miles of 5 - 12% at the end.
4. Pedaling Strenuous, moderate pedaling, but for 35 miles
5. Bike Type: Tidal Force frame with Rigid Big Dummy Forks, Schwalbe Big Apple Tires, 18Speed standard gearing with an extra low gear (28T) up front.
6. Amped Bikes 9 x 7 DD Rear hub motor (Very Early 2007 model, still has the "9C" logo on the controller)
7. Standard 9C 20A controller that came with the kit circa 2007
8. Battery: 12s (45V Nominal) Turnigy Nano Tech 25 - 50C 12AH size. Used just 7 almost 8 AH's of the 12AH pack for this trip.
P.S. this is with a 170lb rider, 80lbs of cargo (30lb trailer and 50lbs cargo on it, and the drag added by the trailer .. HATE trailers ...
) and 63lb bike.