Beach Riding

Simonism

100 mW
I electrified my bike to ride on the beach.

My local beach is mostly relatively easy riding on hard sand, with occasional interruptions of soft sand, rocks or seaweed (actually seagrass, I think). On my ~20km round trip this afternoon, I had to carry my bike on a couple of occasions (including over two creeks) and "paddle" along a few times (mostly on rocky sections). But it was fantastic fun! It was a bit windy, so there was almost no one on the beach - almost deserted. Maybe also because the school summer holidays have just finished.

I plan to use thus thus thread to post the occasional description of my rides, and maybe even a photo or two or a video.

If anyone wants to describe their beach riding experiences, that would be great too. I'd be very interested.

Simonism

Not a beach, but some stretches of the canal path are relatively hard sand over dirt/gravel.

With my heavy CrazyBike2, 2WD, I can only use the rear motor for any added power or acceleration, or I lose traction/steering in front. Once up to speed, I can gently use the front.

Have to also take care in braking, using both (mostly rear), or else lose traction / steering, and also try to brake only in straight lines not in turns.

Simonism said:
I electrified my bike to ride on the beach.

My local beach is mostly relatively easy riding on hard sand, with occasional interruptions of soft sand, rocks or seaweed (actually seagrass, I think). On my ~20km round trip this afternoon, I had to carry my bike on a couple of occasions (including over two creeks) and "paddle" along a few times (mostly on rocky sections). But it was fantastic fun! It was a bit windy, so there was almost no one on the beach - almost deserted. Maybe also because the school summer holidays have just finished.

I plan to use thus thus thread to post the occasional description of my rides, and maybe even a photo or two or a video.

If anyone wants to describe their beach riding experiences, that would be great too. I'd be very interested.

Simonism
There is a lot of salt in the sand, you should clean your bike well after every ride.

Very pleasant afternoon ride at Mushroom Reef, Flinders.

Simon

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 5,039
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5,039
skeetab5780 said:
Nice bike I always like those Rockhopper frames, used to ride one back in the day!

My Rockhopper is still serving me well after nearly 20 years.

There are advantages to a quiet motor like the BBS02 ...

Simonism

Attachments

• Bushrangers Bay 18%.jpg
    Bushrangers Bay 18%.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 5,207
Short test ride today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5,165
"Not too bad", says Fraser. "But can you please get rid of that slight eccentricity in the right wheel?"

Attachments

• Fraser.jpg
    Fraser.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 5,038
Test ride proves to be successful!

Attachments

• 1423963048130.jpg
    1423963048130.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 5,148
Gday Simonism,
we havent had a group ride in Melbourne for awhile, but hopefully soon!
Cheers from over west,
Sam.

Simonism said:
Test ride proves to be successful!

Good to find the thread and photos Simon, hopefully will see the Norco soon :)

Thanks Ewan!

The Norco Bigfoot 6.3 with BBS01 and your extended Bottom Bracket is Almost Ready to Ride!

Here's a teaser ...

Simon

Just a couple more wires and black cable ties to go, as well as a bit more blacking out of silver parts ....

Simon

Attachments

• Bigfoot1 smaller.jpg
    Bigfoot1 smaller.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 5,041
Samd said:
Gday Simonism,
we havent had a group ride in Melbourne for awhile, but hopefully soon!
Cheers from over west,
Sam.

Cheers Sam - I'll keep my eyes peeled!

Simon

Rider's View:

Attachments

• Bigfoot3 smaller.jpg
    Bigfoot3 smaller.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 5,051
That bike is looking Awesome so far.

I like to ride down in Pensacola, on a beach known for it's sugar sand. Sand so soft you easily sink to your ankles when walking on it, and bikes sink far enough to become hard to push. But a fat bike, that can easily float across the surface. steering is an interesting problem, and takes some practice, but having a fat bike has let me get to places people don't normally go.

[youtube]Cy5Fi3qSB-Q[/youtube]

Funtastic video Drunkskunk! Thanks for sharing. That area looks like a great place to ride. And what a bike!

Anyways, you've enthused me to make my own fat-bike-on-the-beach video - just give me a little more time ...

Simonism

Friday afternoon autumnal ride. Just georgeous!

This is what the 100mm BB version of the Bafang BBS01 is just perfect for!

Simonism

Attachments

• 6 March 3 crop.jpg
    6 March 3 crop.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 4,870
  • 6 March 2 small .jpg
    6 March 2 small .jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 4,870
Well on my way to a pot of gold with this little fat bike. Loving it!

Simonism

The beaches I frequent have a very gradual slope and a fairly large tidal range. Riding on the hardpack as the tide is going out just above the wet stuff gives me a dead smooth 50 meter wide lane to ride between the softer dry sand and wet sand of highest reaching wave, and cruising leisurely along at a speed with just enough wind to stay cool is without a doubt the most relaxing activity I've ever had. If it wasn't for looking out 100m ahead for occasional debris I'd surely zone out and fall asleep while riding. On one 10km stretch I can go kilometers without seeing another soul, so it's just me cruising along with only the sound of the wind and waves. Not even sailing can compete with the constant noise of the sails and rigging. It's my favorite ebike thing to do, and even surpasses the time I beat a Porshe Caiman on a highway hill climb with my street ebike.

I ride my X-treme XB-300li down miami beach quite frequently. With a good set of mountain bike tires and avoiding the really soft spots it almost never looses traction and as long as you can keep ur balance the electric motor pulls ya through some sticky situations. The only thing u gatta look out for is tourists throwing footballs :)

Riding and RC flying at the same time ...

Simonism

[youtube]nVCNy8K2HG4[/youtube]

Photo - really riding this time!

Attachments

• riding.jpg
    riding.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 4,621
Back