Hand made electric bicycle - cruiser type

Custo

1 µW
Hi Everyone!

I am interested in making electric bicycles from scratch. I hope to learn alot from the people on this forum. Nice to meet you all. Here is some pics of an electric bicycle that I made. Here's the first designs that I made.

design.jpg
model.jpg
carbon.jpg

After making the designs, the next step was printing it out to full scale on a plotter:

DSC03833.JPG

DSC03832 (1).JPG

The next step was to make a jig to hold the pieces together during welding:

View attachment 10
DSC03837.JPG

Then came putting it all together:

DSC03848.JPG
DSC03849.JPG

DSC03847.JPG
DSC03886.JPG

It turned out to be a really nice bike. 72 volt 20 AH battery and a 4 kW Crystalite 5th series motor. It weighs about 50 kilos, so it's a bit closer to an electric moped, but accelerates like a motorcycle, hitting the maximum speed of 88 kph (55mph) in just 6 seconds.

Attachments

• IMG_20140318_235050.jpg
    IMG_20140318_235050.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,825
Beautiful. Crying shame there isn't a motorized bicycle race happening anymore. That thing would be a blast on a go kart track.

Simply beautiful work!
otherDoc

I hope to learn alot from the people on this forum.
WOW! Pretty amazing for a first ebike. I think you can help a lot of us here. I love this rear triangle suspension design. So clean in placing shock. How does it work? Any comment on how it takes bumpy roads?

Simply excellent. 8) nice lines- great battery placement.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the really great comments! It's quite encouraging to hear such words!
So this bike was my first e-bike, but not my first bicycle. I've been making custom bikes/custom frames for a while now. There was a whole process involved with learning the electronics mods and secrets. Once when the battery block fell over on a metal work table, now that was some fireworks to see!
The suspension turned out to be pretty hard, but that's what I was aiming at since the motor wheel hub weighs alot and it would be pretty dangerous to drive it with a soft suspension. Everything works great and despite my worries, I've never hit the shock absorber on anything. I even tried to see if I could by going over high curbs, deep low spots and steps.
It sure does excelerate fast, you have to hold on tight or it will leave without you!

Took some more hard looking to catch on to what you did. Cool design of the rear suspension. 8)

dogman dan said:
Beautiful. Crying shame there isn't a motorized bicycle race happening anymore.
probably are some in russia, just not here in the southwest usa. :(

i wish there were some, too, cuz i've finally actually got something that might nto fall apart on a track and can actually accelerate halfway decent. ;)

i'd probably still crash though

Back