New electric bike with big quick release battery

cwah

100 MW
Hello,

Conhismotor is now selling this high capacity electric bike:
big-2014-11-23_12-38-5.JPG

http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=466

It's a proper high speed with decent size battery in the market.

Its an evolution from the previous design:
big-2014-8-3_3-32-57.jpg

http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=447

Under bumps, the rear could hit the battery. Not anymore with the new one.

Interesting as it has a longer wheelbase so it allow to put more things in a cargo setting. Too bad the battery isn't a little bit bigger as I'd like to fill 1500wh or more battery in it. It's a great design I think and I haven't found better to date. Bigger bike such as raptor, greyborg and other can't have battery removed and are annoying as it needs to be brought home to charge and I live in a small flat!

$1500 plus shipping. Not horrible...(group buy?)

I think this is a good development, and that model is definitely an improvement over the previous. Thanks for posting...

Just checked it out, having 48V was a surprise, plus the 18-Ah size was a shock...the "Samsung" cells are not likely to be high-current, but with a 2C draw, you could get 36A peaks from this pack.

I think this has to be marketed as an off-road bike to get around the silly power restrictions in many nations, but...the slightly longer wheelbase is perfect for a street commuter. My first change would be new rims and 3-inch street tires (if they would fit, which is likely).

The Chinese excel at noticing trends, and then finding (or making) parts that mimic high-quality/high-performance items. The dual-crown fork looks like a very upscale item, but even factoring in that they are likely a mid-grade at best...they are likely to be much more than adequate for a 30-MPH street commuter.

I would have preferred for them to raise the front of the rear shock so it wasn't pressing on the middle of the downtube. I would have added a gusset in the front crotch of the downtube/top-tube joint...just behind the head-tube...and mount it there...which would also allow an even longer shock to be swapped-in.

Oil-cooling the hub (or even just ventilation holes) with a high current 40A pack (like em3ev.com) would really wake this bike up. The hub looks like a generic yescomusa clone. 28mm wide stator/200-ish mm. I'd also put on BMX handlebars to raise the posture a little...

I always try to be positive and make constructive comments but these things are downright ugly. Just a mutation gone very badly. I'm like the new crop of ground up designs a lot. :)

windtrader said:
I always try to be positive and make constructive comments but these things are downright ugly. Just a mutation gone very badly. I'm like the new crop of ground up designs a lot. :)

Yes, constructive feedback are always welcome. So if this is ugly, do you have equivalent example (fast and big capacity with quick release) you can provide that is better than this bike?

Because I can't see any ;)

That is my old bike with new forks and power upgrade. It's not an evolution of the Y frame.
Mine was £650 delivered from china. Found on ebay.
36v 10ah 250w = 27kg!
Soon got shot of that beast. The weight was not in the triangle. It sounded as thin as anything I have ever tapped upon. The frame twist was unreal. I could stand beside the bike, foot on the pedal, and push it out of shape easily. The frame giving about as much as the 30psi tyres. Think about that. The lateral stiffness of the tyres at 30psi was comparable to that of the frame. The BB would move actual inch's from side to side in relationship to the wheel when pedaling.

It's a lemon. Looks sweet, but don't take a bite.

Goofy design though.. kind of a shame.

The 18ah 48v battery is real nice, however. Especially being mounted where it is. This extends the wheelbase and gives a nice stable ride too.

cwah said:
windtrader said:

Yes, constructive feedback are always welcome. So if this is ugly, do you have equivalent example (fast and big capacity with quick release) you can provide that is better than this bike?

Because I can't see any ;)
Well, the newest integrated design are far more sleek and good looking. Many have integrated removable battery packs that use quick release mechanisms. Fast has to be defined as what can be had from 750 watts in California, I think 1000 in Oregon, and 250watts for many parts of Europe.

1500w is pretty good power. I'd call that fast.. at 1500w continuous, you're going about 35mph on most motors. Just quick enough to start having the water streak away from your eyeballs. :)

friendly1uk said:
That is my old bike with new forks and power upgrade. It's not an evolution of the Y frame.
Mine was £650 delivered from china. Found on ebay.
36v 10ah 250w = 27kg!
Soon got shot of that beast. The weight was not in the triangle. It sounded as thin as anything I have ever tapped upon. The frame twist was unreal. I could stand beside the bike, foot on the pedal, and push it out of shape easily. The frame giving about as much as the 30psi tyres. Think about that. The lateral stiffness of the tyres at 30psi was comparable to that of the frame. The BB would move actual inch's from side to side in relationship to the wheel when pedaling.

It's a lemon. Looks sweet, but don't take a bite.

Do you have a picture or a link?

I looked pal, but nothing.
I will try again, but I didn't buy new and it took months to find it online after purchase. I was quite surprised by the £650 ticket, but thankfully I paid £200 used. Sold it for £300 to a mate that sold it for £350.

edit: Nope. Just nothing to search with. No branding or model number. Nothing in history or on the site it came from (gumtree small adds)

Edit2: Still nothing, but it's sat in a shed in Manchester doing nothing. It was on google images as a saracen electric bike, as that is how it was sold on gumtree. As some saracen bits were screwed to it. Maybe your search will do better.

looks nice but wonder how accurate the top speed claims are ? also is that the controller mounted under the battery ? looks vunerable if doing off-roading. would like to see ebr do a review on this. :D

Yes, a 6 fet under the battery in mine. Same as other post mount bikes.

Looks like a pretty nice commuter to me. Surely the frame is stiffer than a Y frame with too thin frame tubing.

Does anyone think this would be good for commuting 36 miles round trip ? Would buy 2nd charger for charging at work. Just concerned about quality of frame as i have been riding surly big dummy which so far has been a workhorse. Curious if anyone has ridden one. :?:

It should be fine for an 18 mile one way commute, charge, ride home. The battery plenty big to go 25mph or more for 18 miles. Street tires for it of course.

Better commuter than off road bike Id think, but shocks and forks could be upgraded for riding trails more difficult than a farm road.

thanks dogman. how realistic do you believe the top speed claims to be ? On my 3 year old E-bike kit hub motor at 48 volts i went about 28 mph. am i wrong to assume it is a fast wind motor with low torque ? not real famillar with this brand of bike and hub motor. just wish i could find more info on this and will keep researching.Thanks for the info. :D

Its rare for the top speed to be fudged, but the range is often exaggerated. Like Dogman said, also charge at work. Every E-biker should have two chargers anyways. They are a frequent source of system failure. It's bad enough when you have to pay to buy another charger, but often you have to wait a week or two before it arrives. Terribly inconvenient if you depend on the E-bike as a commuter (instead of it being just a week-end fun bike)

When I first saw the picture I assumed absolute entry level everything but then I saw the heavy duty triple crown fork and the 1500w 65km/h spec motor, hydraulic disc brake and now see it has a pretty good value buy.

I guess its the color design that made me assume it was just another entry level ebike. The green dash looks kind of cheesy despite their efforts, maybe they should go with less contrasting colors like a black with a modest burgundy redpurple flame or stripe or whatever..

Cool to see innovation with a bit of heavy duty components going on out there from the grey market.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-48V-1500W-Super-Mustang-Mountain-Ebike-48V18Ah-Li-ion-Battery-Electric-Bike-/191435163837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c926cc8bd
Found it listed on ebay, knew I could, cos I g0t l33t s3archin skillz.

wonder why its priced so high on ebay and much lower on manufacturers website ? does ebay mark things up that much or are they counting on peoples stupidity ? just wondering. good day all and looking forward to some warm riding weather here. thanks. :D

Looks quite dangerous to me. Look at all that unsprung weight on the rear! And why so much battery? Your arse will be well and truly sore on that shit seat well before you flatten that battery. :?

dogman dan said:
Looks like a pretty nice commuter to me. Surely the frame is stiffer than a Y frame with too thin frame tubing.

I doubt it. The Y frame pictured has the chain stay/trailing arm coming straight off the BB, so the relationship between them is difficult to change.
Their new offering doesn't have this direct relationship. The bits are not in a line. The trailing arm forms an acute triangle. It twists easily. If I stood on a pedal, the BB moved about 20mm to the side. Equating to 40mm of frame flex just transferring my weight pedal to pedal, and I'm not fat. This is ridiculous.

The Drop-out width is 170mm so I couldn't find a suitable motor to make amends. It had to be a motorcycle, which I don't want.

Should have read the entire thread better before I spoke. A big battery combined with a weak frame does suck. The tail wags the dog.

But the battery weight does not ride the swingarm like the Y frame one. That's what I thought looked better.

On a bike I had with similar frame design, the location of the swing arm pivot did tend to increase the flex of the arm itself. Longer swing arm I guess. But the frame itself twisted less.

In any case, completely unsuitable for real trail riding would be my guess. Might be ok as a street bike that's never cranked hard into corners.

slacker said:
wonder why its priced so high on ebay and much lower on manufacturers website ? does ebay mark things up that much or are they counting on peoples stupidity ? just wondering. good day all and looking forward to some warm riding weather here. thanks. :D
Its because shipping is included on the ebay site, on the conhismotor site it only comes up during check out.

Here they got the same bike but cheaper components like its missing thr heavy duty triple crown forks.
http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-latest-super-mustang-mountain-e-bike-48v-1000w-electric-bike-with-48v-20ah-li-ion-bottom-discharge-battery-shima-hydraulic-disc-brakes-electric-bicycle.html

I also noticed on this affiliate site frame triangle battery packs and frame bags, similar to evm3s.
http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-51-8v-20ah-customized-triangle-down-tube-frame-oem-cell-li-ion-battery-bms-5a-charger.html

triangle_bag_neo_img_1_1_1.jpg

Interesting to see all this stuff out there.

beastie, are you saying shipping is almost 900$ as that is approx the price difference ? just wondering. I still think it would make a fun commuter. Just would like to hear from someone who has ridden said bike. thanks. :)

With some upgraded bits id ride it... i kinda like the lines.but not offroad thats for sure,im guessing this is for city riding.

Back