Seatpost Skewer anti theft ideas

dogman dan

1 PW
Find the seatpost height you can live with forever, then a tiny weld will hold both seat to post, and post to bike. The bike and post look like steel to me.

But a much less drastic measure would be just replacing the qr post bolt with a regular bolt. Then rather than weld, use some epoxy to make both the nut on the post, and the nuts on the seat itself harder to loosen.

[
[
[
or you could try this on the seat

918qFDH6bUL__SL1500_.jpg

couldn't resist. my apologies.

Seriously, probably a pain to try to lock down the skewer.

Just replacing the skewer with a fastener with a security head would keep the honest honest, and allow adjustment. and removal with special bit. Fastenal or similar prob has something.

Originally I thought of placing a locked post directly thru the downtube and stem, but wouldn't be adjustable and who wants to drill thru their bike.

To make that bolt extra secure, you could solder a small ball (BB) in the hex head hole. When you want to take it out, you'll have to heat it up and desolder it. Less permanent than a weld and enough that someone couldn't easily pluck it.

This seat-tube clamp shown has been re-purposed as a locking battery pack attachment, however, I am posting to show that locking seat-post clamps do exist, if that might interest you.

file.php

Like that bolt, few casual thieves will be carrying an allen wrench. Better than a regular bolt.

Love that solder idea too! The pro thief of course, can never really be stopped. But he'll get the whole bike more likely.

I find doing the shopping early in the morning a good approach, if work schedule allows. Those drug addicts all crash at dawn, and sleep till noon. So morning can be safer to park your bike at stores.

A seatpost skewer itself sounds like great antitheft protection, or at least some justice if the bike is stolen.

Unless you cable the seat to the bike I don't think there's going to be a satisfying attachment. It'll be 6 of one.

[youtube]xcztgMsbHjI[/youtube]

Back