Vector-Adaptto-Multistar

Dirtech

1 W
So i'm currently in the process of rounding up parts for my very first e-bike build.
So lets get to it:
Here's what I have got so far:
Vector frame (Thanks to Artur for sorting this! Great price and the frame looks great)
6 x 4s 16Ah Multistar lipo (could double this to make 24s 32Ah)
Adaptto Max-E with 28s BMS and 70A charging coil (Thank you Artur again, strongly recommend)
Fork, rear shock, handlebar etc. from my existing DH bike

Still to buy:
Power supply (Probably Eaton)
Motor (Probably Cromotor, as cant use Crown)
Rear wheel (rim, spokes etc.)
Throttle
Brakes

Unfortunately the build will be put on hold due to my exams during May and June but anyways hopefully I should have all the parts by the time I finish them.
I'll post pictures of my frame and DH bike shortly for you all but please do comment with advice/questions and thanks for helping a newbie!

I know it has been awhile but I have had so much on lately :roll:
Still waiting on delivery of my Max-E and totally undecided on what motor to buy, I want very high torque and acceleration so maybe one with more windings. I thought the cromotor would give me this but so many people are switching to the MXUS. I just wasn't sure if the MXUS could handle as much power as the cromotor.

So here are some pictures:
Picture1.png
Picture2.png
Picture3.png
Picture4.png
Picture5.png

For the battery, 24s lipo is not good with the adaptto because above 92v the adaptto will start limiting the power. For max power it's recommended 20/21s max and 22s is the limit with lipo.

If you still want to use the multistars you should use 22s at max (that's what i'm using and i never charge above 4.1v per cell).

striker54 said:
If you want a Eaton alternative http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...79&p=1027649&hilit=eaton+alternative#p1017535
IMO it's better and more cheaper.

For the motor, what will give you torque and acceleration is a smaller rim and also it will stress the motor less. 16" or 17" moto rim is the ideal.

Thanks for the info! That looks like a much better psu, I reckon I will definitely pick one up especially as it is a UK seller! I think by having a smaller rim I could buy the MXUS rather than the cromotor, I think the unsprung weight saving would make this worth it.

striker54 said:
For the battery, 24s lipo is not good with the adaptto because above 92v the adaptto will start limiting the power. For max power it's recommended 20/21s max and 22s is the limit with lipo.

If you still want to use the multistars you should use 22s at max (that's what i'm using and i never charge above 4.1v per cell).

Yes, I realised this after my first post! I think I will use 20s just so it is easier to use the adaptto bms. I think I will add more batteries to make 20s 32Ah and up the amperage.

Dirtech said:
I think by having a smaller rim I could buy the MXUS rather than the cromotor, I think the unsprung weight saving would make this worth it.

Yes, but remember that you will need to upgrade the phase wires of the MXUS. See here: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66625&hilit=mxus
The cromotor is heavier but don't need any upgrade (is almost bulletproof :twisted: ).

If you really want a MXUS and if ride really hard you should try the water cooled MXUS that linukas sells http://www.4motus.com/
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65954&hilit=water+cooled+mxus

Just a quick update!
Since my last post I have bought a QS 3kW 205 50H motor, 24*5T (9.03kV), which is due to arrive Monday, I also finished soldering my psu the the mains and an xt90 plug for the adaptto charging coil. If this psu works as has been reported by others and as advertised, then I will be very impressed! :D I will wait until I receive my max-e to test but photos are below and it cost me £65 to make, all parts included and about 30 minutes to solder. It seems very similar to the Eaton APR48-3G psu most seem to use with adaptto but that would have cost over double! :shock:
Only a few more pieces to buy (rear rim, spokes, tyre and tube and throttle), and still patiently waiting for my max-e.
Swamped in exams at the moment so may not finish until the end of June but we'll see :)
DSC00159.JPG
DSC00160.JPG
DSC00161.JPG
DSC00162.JPG

Everything is on its way! (I hope)
So since my previous post my hub arrived and just today my Max-E did too. :D I got excited and stripped down my downhill bike to transfer parts over to the Vector but couldn't remove the headset cups, I tried everything (WD 40) :wink: but no luck so I bought a new headset from chain reaction cycles which will take a couple of days to turn up
I had a little fiddle with the Max-E, checked the BMS but don't want to solder anything until I finish my rear wheel. My Max-E has PAS integrated and ON/OFF switch so will probably install a key switch at some point but I'll get the bike going first.

Here is what I have ordered since my last post
-Holmes 19" moped rim and spokes (+2.75" mx tyre and inner tube)
-Magura throttle
-Wuxing thumb throttle for variable regen
-New DT swiss air shock (my old one was, well old)
-FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro Headset

I am also a little confused about how Magura throttle fits onto the handlebar and whether I will need to buy a new grip for it as it must surely have a larger diameter than the handlebars.
Here are the grips I have:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/token-double-lock-on-grips/rp-prod38633
I bought these grips especially for the throttle as my previous grips were not lock on so I hope I will not have to buy another pair :roll:
I would love to hear from anybody who has or has used the magura throttle about whether they had to change their grips.

Will post pictures after I install the new headset and hopefully the shock will also have arrived by then :)

Hi mate, just to give you the heads up, just in case you didn't know.. I think the multistars are back in stock before long. They are showing in transit at euro & GB depots. I've paid up for ten to run 20s2p with my new maxE to swap out from 18fet/24s with my raptor. The packs have been back out of stock for about a month now.

Jonboy said:
Hi mate, just to give you the heads up, just in case you didn't know.. I think the multistars are back in stock before long. They are showing in transit at euro & GB depots. I've paid up for ten to run 20s2p with my new maxE to swap out from 18fet/24s with my raptor. The packs have been back out of stock for about a month now.
Thanks! I had actually spotted that they were "in transit" but do not have enough spare cash to buy more. :cry: I had to decide between buying the stuff to get the bike rolling of buy the amount of batteries I will want eventually.
I will have more cash in around a months time so hopefully they will still be in stock then but otherwise I will just run up to 70A max battery current until more arrive. Cheers for the heads up though! :D

From my experience, when HK says "in transit" they really mean it. I ordered my Multistars from the US eastern warehouse and the chat guy said "It's OK to order because they are almost here". I wasn't sure but ordered 2x16000 ones and they arrived at my door in about 4 days. Great batteries so far (2 months use).
otherDoc

Just waiting for bits for the rear wheel now and throttle (both from holmes hobbies). Anybody know how long it usually takes for shipping from them? (to Europe)
Either way new headset arrived and installed and also new DT swiss air shock arrived. Need to buy a pump for it as me sitting on the bike causes about 50% sag which is a little high for me but it feels very smooth and has a lockout feature which pretty much turns the bike into a hardtail.
Also bought some heavy duty velcro to mount everything inside the frame but when I tried to remove the max-e from the top of the frame the adhesive side came off the metal so may need to try something else. Any suggestions on how to mount batteries and controller etc inside the frame securely.
Pics below:-
View attachment 12
DSC00170.JPG
DSC00171.JPG
DSC00172.JPG
DSC00173.JPG
DSC00174.JPG
DSC00175.JPG
DSC00176.JPG
DSC00177.JPG
DSC00178.JPG
DSC00179.JPG
View attachment 1
DSC00181.JPG

Hi dirttech

Nice build I'm going to use a Promoter and adaptto max on my next build, so keen to see how you go.

I have mounted a 18 FET controller in the top with use of a cross member check my post

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69605

Cheers Kiwiev

kiwiev said:
Hi dirttech

Nice build I'm going to use a Promoter and adaptto max on my next build, so keen to see how you go.

I have mounted a 18 FET controller in the top with use of a cross member check my post

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69605

Cheers Kiwiev

Promotor?

Can't post pictures until after exams but my rim and spokes came for my rear wheel and I have laced my motor into it. Just need to solder in the halls connections/throttle/phase wires but don't have time to finish at the moment. I have purchased a slightly longer chain as my old one was tight, causing a lot of friction in the freewheel and a larger rotor for the rear wheel because my brake calliper would not fit between the motor and rotor. This will be clearer once I post pics.
Getting very excited for summer now as I only have 4 exams left before 3 months off to ride and enjoy my youth :D
As I suspected my downhill grips no not fit over the magura throttle so not sure where to get a new grip for that :(
P.s. If Routybouty sees this I would be interested to know what diameter rear rotor you are using or if you are using spacers for the rear brake as I know you are using the same motor and frame for your build.

I got my first experience of an ebike today and it was awesome! :D The bike has so much torque and the acceleration is incredible, my rear shock is perfect for riding fast and it is so quiet. I got my first compliment on it as I was rolling it out of my gate to ride for the first time before even leaving my house!
This being said there is still a lot to do and the bike is far from finished. For some of these issues am am at a loss and could really use some imput! Here is a list of what needs to be sorted-
-I bought a new larger rotor for the rear, but the brake calliper does not fit properly between the rotor and motor. Also, the brake pads do not line up with rotor. Both of these issues I think would be solved by a spacer between the hub and the rotor but this would bring the rotor dangerously close to the cables exiting the motor.
-I am sure I have wired my wuxing throttle correctly for variable regen but when I push it at speed noting happens. Also, when I release the throttle I get a tiny amount of regen (about 0.3-0.4A). I'm not sure if I haven't set up my regen settings correctly but this is especially important for the time until I get brakes running on the rear.
-Also, under braking I notice that my forks wobble in the headtube. This also happens when just rolling the bike underneath me, it feels like it is loose.
-Finally, I stiil need to find a better way to mount my controller as my industrial velcro really doesn't work. :(

Any input is appreciated as I try to iron out these issues.

Looks great mate, I have my max e zip tied flat against the top of my battery compartment, does your frame have any holes you could use to secure it?
Mine is sturdy as and looks clean

I made a small metal strap and then used self drilling screws to frame.

Then drilled and tapped one end into metal strap to fix controller and drilled and tapped other end into frame see below, But its not a Adaptto controller

cheers Kiwi

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 3,735
kiwiev said:
I made a small metal strap and then used self drilling screws to frame.

Then drilled and tapped one end into metal strap to fix controller and drilled and tapped other end into frame see below, But its not a Adaptto controller

cheers Kiwi
Thanks for the idea! One thing that could be improved to the vector frame is the mouting points, it is hard to mount the controller without drilling into the frame :( I need to do something though because I dont feel comfortable riding hard with the controller not tight inside the frame.

Back