Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 05 2015 11:26pm

I am contemplating a new build. This time for a touring bike/trike. I was wondering if there are any others who have went down this path and would like to offer their wisdom on this matter.

First off the requirements:
1) 200 miles per day
2) 8 hours max riding time per day
3) 25mph average per day meaning most of the time I will be going 30mph+ to make up for the hills and stops
4) Top speed on flat should be at least 50mph, though I would be OK with 45mph just for those dangerous sections where I would need to go fast
5) Pedal assist, though I would like to keep human assist to a minimal
6) I am touring so I need to carry my clothes, tent, sleeping bag, etc.
7) Ability to charge at any AC outlet

To help me with this endeavor, here is how I should go about it:

A) Full suspension recumbent trike/bike to reduce wind resistance at 30mph+
B) 9C 3004 motor in a 20 inch wheel. (I could do cromotor, but it's way to heavy for this requirement. Also most trike are 135mm dropout anyways, so those big and bad motors are out of the question)
C) Adappto Mini-E with 70A charging coil, BMS, and PAS sensor
D) Carry around 4KWh of battery (22s50Ah or 79V50Ah). I think tesla cells will give me this ability in a relatively light package (45lbs)


So far, I know A), B), C) and D) will help me achieve, 1), 2), 3), 7) and maybe even 4) according to the ebike simulator without burning out if I ride on level surfaces most of the ride.
5) is easy to satisfy because that is on me.

My only reservation right now is doing D) and still able to satisfy 6). 22s50Ah battery pack even from tesla cells is not a light package. I estimate it will weigh 45lbs+. Given this, I am also carrying another 40lbs of camping and survival gear. I would be carrying another 5-10lbs of power supplies for charging. Finally I would probably be carrying another 10lbs of bike backup items like backup controller, bike patch kit, etc. All in all, we are looking at 100lbs-120lbs of extra gear. I am around 150lbs right now so we are looking at 300lbs load on the recumbent trike. This is usually the limit of the trike/bike. Not to mention the load on the rear hub motor wheel. Do you guys think it's safe and worth carrying that much battery or should I just carry less battery and charge in-between. Keep in mind, I would like to stick to the 200 miles a day requirement. This is the only way I can get to my destination in a timely manner. Furthermore, reducing my pack to 22s25ah will probably just cut the weight by 20-25 lbs only. But the price I pay is I would need to stop for a few hours to charge full for the next leg of the ride.

Also is there other gotchas I should be aware of if I plan to multiple continuous days of bike touring across the USA.

Thanks!

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35113
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by dogman dan » Apr 06 2015 7:12am

Get ready to Grind. For sure the guy to talk to is Grindz. No doubt you did see this http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=61893

IMO, the big thing he learned on his trip was to not push so hard for miles per day, allow more time for a trip that long. Watching all his you tube vids, you see an epic ride, but not really a guy enjoying it to the max. His goal was miles, for a good reason, but it turned it into a grind.

IMO, the goal should be riding a distance per day you enjoy, to a stop most nights where you can like being there. I would definitely say a motel stop every 4 days or so should be part of the plan. Catch up on real sleep more than once a week. Stopping at a friendly ES types place for several days to recuperate as often as the opportunity arises.

Re the battery, for a batt that big, I'd want several satiators.

If you do the I-10 route, let me know.

User avatar
ecross   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 322
Joined: Jun 11 2011 2:09pm
Location: Munich

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by ecross » Apr 06 2015 9:29am

Hi mvly,

in the season 2014 I drove a looklike setup like you plan for your 200 miles ride a day.

I use a HPvelotechnik and a Stein-WO Trike.
Attached you will find some pics from the Trikes. Whitch Trike models will do you use for your trip?
For this, HP and Stein I can give you a lot of tips for your Trip.
Attachments
SD531280.JPG
SD531280.JPG (89.71 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
SD531311.JPG
SD531311.JPG (90.28 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
NC 2805 mod.
H4080 mod.
4504 mod.
4503 mod. with watercooling
LiIon 24S16P from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic
Siemens 2000W travel charger

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 06 2015 1:11pm

dogman dan wrote:Get ready to Grind. For sure the guy to talk to is Grindz. No doubt you did see this http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=61893

IMO, the big thing he learned on his trip was to not push so hard for miles per day, allow more time for a trip that long. Watching all his you tube vids, you see an epic ride, but not really a guy enjoying it to the max. His goal was miles, for a good reason, but it turned it into a grind.

IMO, the goal should be riding a distance per day you enjoy, to a stop most nights where you can like being there. I would definitely say a motel stop every 4 days or so should be part of the plan. Catch up on real sleep more than once a week. Stopping at a friendly ES types place for several days to recuperate as often as the opportunity arises.

Re the battery, for a batt that big, I'd want several satiators.

If you do the I-10 route, let me know.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely take my time to read. I am still in the planning process and probably about a year out before any real trip. I plan to take it in strides, i.e. go for much shorter touring trip, i.e. < 200 miles and work my way up to the big one at 2000+ miles.

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 06 2015 1:15pm

ecross wrote:Hi mvly,

in the season 2014 I drove a looklike setup like you plan for your 200 miles ride a day.

I use a HPvelotechnik and a Stein-WO Trike.
Attached you will find some pics from the Trikes. Whitch Trike models will do you use for your trip?
For this, HP and Stein I can give you a lot of tips for your Trip.
I am definitely looking at those exact trikes you are listing. I was thinking of the Mungo from Stientrike or the Scorpion FS 20 from HP. But recently I was thinking of a recumbent bike (HP grasshopper or street machine) just so I can reduce rolling drag and maybe save a bit of weight. It will be more compact and probably harder to control, but it might be worth it.

Are those trike electrified? If so what are the specs and how comfortable are they after a few hours of riding?

User avatar
IdleMind   100 W

100 W
Posts: 100
Joined: Dec 02 2013 6:17pm
Location: SE Wisconsin

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by IdleMind » Apr 06 2015 2:50pm

I have trikes and recumbent bikes. I love a trike for going slow and not thinking about balance. Once you add a motor to a recumbent bike you can get up to speed in a hurry and it becomes much nicer to ride. I would not ride a loaded trike over 25 mph, if your load moved the center of gravity to far up or back they can be flipped. I feel safer going fast on a bike compared to a trike.

User avatar
Jonathan in Hiram   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 446
Joined: Oct 06 2009 9:27pm

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Apr 06 2015 7:15pm

You are going to be at the weight of two people on a bike and a good bit of bulky gear, why not go with a tandem bent in the first place?

For one thing a longer bike has less need of suspension and is more stable at speed, I ride a long wheelbase e-bent without suspension but with Big Apple balloon tires on 26" rear and 20" front wheels and don't feel the need for suspension, 30 plus is common and I can cruise at 27 on the flat with very decent efficiency numbers, within a few percent of what the Grin simulator tells me the numbers should be, all on 12s and a 9C 2808 in a 26" rear.

Something like this with the rear seat area turned into a cargo platform and straddling battery boxes on either side of the frame behind the rear chainring would do the trick I think..

http://www.azub.eu/recumbent-tandem-bike-azub-twin/

Image

This is another tandem bent that might work.

Image
"Any sufficiently developed magic is indistinguishable from technology" -Agatha Heterodyne
"Sometimes I get tired just smilin' " -The Checkered Demon
My recumbent "Grocery Getter" https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=57678

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 06 2015 11:48pm

Jonathan in Hiram wrote:You are going to be at the weight of two people on a bike and a good bit of bulky gear, why not go with a tandem bent in the first place?

For one thing a longer bike has less need of suspension and is more stable at speed, I ride a long wheelbase e-bent without suspension but with Big Apple balloon tires on 26" rear and 20" front wheels and don't feel the need for suspension, 30 plus is common and I can cruise at 27 on the flat with very decent efficiency numbers, within a few percent of what the Grin simulator tells me the numbers should be, all on 12s and a 9C 2808 in a 26" rear.

Something like this with the rear seat area turned into a cargo platform and straddling battery boxes on either side of the frame behind the rear chainring would do the trick I think..

http://www.azub.eu/recumbent-tandem-bike-azub-twin/

Image

This is another tandem bent that might work.

Image
Thanks for the link. Actually the tandem recumbent looks like a better option now. I will have plenty of space to carry everything I need as well as all the battery i can carry. Now i wonder if it has a 150mm dropout so i can put a cromotor on it. The tandem recumbent will definitely weigh more and with the weight i am putting on it, i will definitely need a more powerful motor to drive that thing.

User avatar
ecross   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 322
Joined: Jun 11 2011 2:09pm
Location: Munich

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by ecross » Apr 09 2015 8:45am

mvly wrote:
ecross wrote:Hi mvly,

in the season 2014 I drove a looklike setup like you plan for your 200 miles ride a day.

I use a HPvelotechnik and a Stein-WO Trike.
Attached you will find some pics from the Trikes. Whitch Trike models will do you use for your trip?
For this, HP and Stein I can give you a lot of tips for your Trip.
I am definitely looking at those exact trikes you are listing. I was thinking of the Mungo from Stientrike or the Scorpion FS 20 from HP. But recently I was thinking of a recumbent bike (HP grasshopper or street machine) just so I can reduce rolling drag and maybe save a bit of weight. It will be more compact and probably harder to control, but it might be worth it.

Are those trike electrified? If so what are the specs and how comfortable are they after a few hours of riding?
Hi mvly,

please make a (long!) test drive with a recumbent bike and Trike like HP-FS-26 or Stein-Trike OW-20+26, and then send me your thinking what's it is better for a +200km trip. I had a lot of test drives with both and so I change to Trikes.
Certainly all my Trikes are with motor, because the issue about hills. For some more camping stuff, please have a look to bike trailer. I use also bike trailer for up to 30kg and they are easy to drive. Do you have a time table for the DIY Bike/Trike?

My max driving distance was +220km and this is the big plus for a recumbent Trike with fully suspension, you have no problems with your arms, legs and with the back. So a +10h trip was very easy but normally I drive only 4 -6h with my Trikes and only 100km to 160km for a day. I think 200 miles are really too much for easy driving, but possible.
NC 2805 mod.
H4080 mod.
4504 mod.
4503 mod. with watercooling
LiIon 24S16P from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic
Siemens 2000W travel charger

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 09 2015 11:58pm

ecross wrote:
mvly wrote:
ecross wrote:Hi mvly,

in the season 2014 I drove a looklike setup like you plan for your 200 miles ride a day.

I use a HPvelotechnik and a Stein-WO Trike.
Attached you will find some pics from the Trikes. Whitch Trike models will do you use for your trip?
For this, HP and Stein I can give you a lot of tips for your Trip.
I am definitely looking at those exact trikes you are listing. I was thinking of the Mungo from Stientrike or the Scorpion FS 20 from HP. But recently I was thinking of a recumbent bike (HP grasshopper or street machine) just so I can reduce rolling drag and maybe save a bit of weight. It will be more compact and probably harder to control, but it might be worth it.

Are those trike electrified? If so what are the specs and how comfortable are they after a few hours of riding?
Hi mvly,

please make a (long!) test drive with a recumbent bike and Trike like HP-FS-26 or Stein-Trike OW-20+26, and then send me your thinking what's it is better for a +200km trip. I had a lot of test drives with both and so I change to Trikes.
Certainly all my Trikes are with motor, because the issue about hills. For some more camping stuff, please have a look to bike trailer. I use also bike trailer for up to 30kg and they are easy to drive. Do you have a time table for the DIY Bike/Trike?

My max driving distance was +220km and this is the big plus for a recumbent Trike with fully suspension, you have no problems with your arms, legs and with the back. So a +10h trip was very easy but normally I drive only 4 -6h with my Trikes and only 100km to 160km for a day. I think 200 miles are really too much for easy driving, but possible.
Thanks for the advice. I have riden a trike and briefly the recumbent bike. The recumbent bike is definitely harder to handle. Maybe it is just my lack of experience. But i can see what you are getting at when you asked me to try out both. As for comfort after 6+ hours, i dont have experience on either. I have done it on a bike and i can say i dont want to do 6+ hours daily for multiple days on a regular bike.

I am getting the sense 200 miles a day might be a tad too much. But i figured hence why i chose the recumbent tadpole trike instead of a regular bike. Still this means 10+ hours of riding pretty fast. Hey i figured if i need the extra time, ill do the trip closer to summer to get more daylight time.

Finally to answer your question about a time line, at the moment i dont have one. It is tenatively set for next year and tons of other things to get done before then. But i am gaining more experience with ebikes in general. I.e. things to watch out for and how to deal with problems on the road when your are thousands of miles away from home.

Also i am still thinking about the trip. It will cost a lot of money and time. Both the trip and the build. I am weighing the option of spending that kind of money on something like this or just stay at home and invest the money and time into something with a higher return. Hahah

Between the stein and scorpion, which do you recommend to electrify? I was thinking the stein because it might better at handling the extra weight and better at cornering?

User avatar
ecross   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 322
Joined: Jun 11 2011 2:09pm
Location: Munich

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by ecross » Apr 10 2015 5:01am

Hi mvly,

please send more infos to your trip, this is very interesting for me because my e-Trike is ready for +200km with my setup.

-attached you will find a pic. from my e-Stein Trike Wild-One with 2x black outdoor cases for 2 x 12S8P Sony setup and my new outdoor cases are ready for 2 x 12S16P.
-in the rear bags are also 2 x 12S8P and a lot of place for other stuff.
-for long travel I use also a big bag over the rear Tire like the great Topeak bags.
-the Topeak bag is good for my Siemens +2000W charger so my 4x 50,40V/16,80Ah, 67,20Ah are in 1h to 1,5h ready for the next trip
-the difference from Stein to HP Trikes are little, you can find a good setup, because you can play with this great stuff to find your "right" setup
Attachments
SD531349.JPG
SD531349.JPG (92.27 KiB) Viewed 5810 times
NC 2805 mod.
H4080 mod.
4504 mod.
4503 mod. with watercooling
LiIon 24S16P from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic
Siemens 2000W travel charger

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35113
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by dogman dan » Apr 10 2015 6:53am

Best advice I can give is slow down and enjoy the view. Enjoy the 10 hours, vs trying to meet some arbitrary mileage goal. Some kind of mileage goal is inevitable though, in my area, 70 miles required between towns to reach a plug, water, etc. Definitely build for 100 mile range.

Doing the long rides at 15-18 mph allows you to look around, vs just scanning for the next broken bottle and seeing only the road stripe. 100 mile range at 20 mph would only be 5 hours riding too. But including piss stops, etc, 4-5 hours gets you 70 miles or so easy, at an 18 mph pace. Build to go faster when it's good to do so, so you can zoom a bit when your daily goal requires it. Maybe you have a destination that day only 50 miles, get to a friends house early that day, or need to beat some weather, whatever.

Test towing a trailer behind your trike. Not too loaded, but perhaps 25 pounds on a bob trailer. Towing is not so fun on a bike, but maybe it's ok with a tadpole. You can get a cheapo version of a bob trailer for 80 bucks to test it.

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 10 2015 11:15am

ecross wrote:Hi mvly,

please send more infos to your trip, this is very interesting for me because my e-Trike is ready for +200km with my setup.

-attached you will find a pic. from my e-Stein Trike Wild-One with 2x black outdoor cases for 2 x 12S8P Sony setup and my new outdoor cases are ready for 2 x 12S16P.
-in the rear bags are also 2 x 12S8P and a lot of place for other stuff.
-for long travel I use also a big bag over the rear Tire like the great Topeak bags.
-the Topeak bag is good for my Siemens +2000W charger so my 4x 50,40V/16,80Ah, 67,20Ah are in 1h to 1,5h ready for the next trip
-the difference from Stein to HP Trikes are little, you can find a good setup, because you can play with this great stuff to find your "right" setup
Good looking trike. So in your opinion which will be better for long range touring as well as occasionally high speed runs? Also why did you go with the Bodylink on both your trikes instead of the EgoMesh? I would think the EgoMesh, having more surface area, will be much more comfortable on long rides at the price of a bit of wind drag at higher speed. Am I wrong?

Here is more information about my trip I plan to make a year from now:

1) The trip will on the west coast. From southern border of California and Mexico to border of Washington and Canada. If I can complete that feat of a journey, then I will try for the horizontal version of USA from west coast to east coast.

2) I will start out with small touring trips I can do in less than 3 days. Once I get comfortable with those, I will shoot for the the vertical border to border trip.

3) I will map out ALL my potential daily stops ahead of time and set to a day by day calendar. I know I will not stick to the plan because things do come up, but it sets a framework for me to work towards.

4) On a daily basis, before the trip that day, I will map out the next end of day stop and maybe 2 more backup stops just incase something comes up and prevents me from sticking to the original stop.

5) I have access to a machinist who will build me a flat pack case to houses the battery all on the bottom center of the trike ideally. If need be, I will put a few in the front and rear like you did on your HP Scorpion FS 20.

6) Base on the feedbacks I am getting, it looks like I will shoot for 20-25mph average eliminating the need for fairing.

7) I will do something like Justin at ebikes.ca where I will setup a USB connected GoPro to periodically take snapshots throughout my whole trip (I am thinking once every 5 seconds). I plan to combine it into a movie later on. Moreover, I plan to have another go pro on my helmet mount wireless connect to a trigger to take video of "interesting" events with a press of a button. I was thinking of another time lapse go pro of maybe the side view, but I am not sure if they will be interesting. Any thoughts?

8 ) As usual, I will do daily updates on my trip as I go probably on this forum and my website/blog when I get that setup.

9) Base on the feedback of others on the forum, I think I will have attach a trailer, if needed, and keep my belongings there. This way, I can load up on battery, charger, and ebike only related stuff on the trike. This will also reduce the weight load on the rear motor.

User avatar
Jonathan in Hiram   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 446
Joined: Oct 06 2009 9:27pm

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Apr 10 2015 10:56pm

In my experience electrifying a bent makes a huge difference in riding ease, the low speed wobblies while taking off and climbing steeper hills become a non-issue, it is also no longer necessary to shift many gears down at every stop, creeping in traffic is a simple matter of letting your feet slide and cracking the throttle just a touch.

I ride often enough with a two wheeled trailer behind me to appreciate the difference between a single track vehicle and one with three tracks, keeping three different tire tracks out of potholes, road debris and so forth is more difficult and requires considerably more attention to your path control, it also forces you further out into the road. On the other hand I can't tell from a handling standpoint that my two wheel trailer with a 40 plus pound load of groceries and dog food is even back there, it tracks perfectly all the way up to 30+ mph.

I'm with dogman as far as speed goes, anything over 20 mph requires quite a bit of attention to the road and at 30 you are focused on little beyond exactly where your wheels will go next. My longest continuous ride without dismounting is just a little shy of 50 miles at 25 mph average and by then I'm ready mentally to get off and take a break, it's difficult to maintain the sort of concentration needed to keep a margin of safety at higher speeds for hours at a time. Having a decent top speed though is a good thing, being able to comfortably take your lane where it's necessary to do so and not having drivers behind getting super antsy to pass you is a positive safety aspect of a faster ebike.

One advantage to an unusual looking machine like a bent or a trike that no one has yet mentioned is that drivers tend to stay a lot further away from you, I get a surprising amount more respect on the road on my bent than I ever did on a standard diamond frame or mountain bike, almost everyone pulls all the way into the other lane to pass as if they were passing a car, on a standard bike I used to get brushed by regularly.
"Any sufficiently developed magic is indistinguishable from technology" -Agatha Heterodyne
"Sometimes I get tired just smilin' " -The Checkered Demon
My recumbent "Grocery Getter" https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=57678

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 11 2015 12:48am

Jonathan in Hiram wrote:In my experience electrifying a bent makes a huge difference in riding ease, the low speed wobblies while taking off and climbing steeper hills become a non-issue, it is also no longer necessary to shift many gears down at every stop, creeping in traffic is a simple matter of letting your feet slide and cracking the throttle just a touch.

I ride often enough with a two wheeled trailer behind me to appreciate the difference between a single track vehicle and one with three tracks, keeping three different tire tracks out of potholes, road debris and so forth is more difficult and requires considerably more attention to your path control, it also forces you further out into the road. On the other hand I can't tell from a handling standpoint that my two wheel trailer with a 40 plus pound load of groceries and dog food is even back there, it tracks perfectly all the way up to 30+ mph.

I'm with dogman as far as speed goes, anything over 20 mph requires quite a bit of attention to the road and at 30 you are focused on little beyond exactly where your wheels will go next. My longest continuous ride without dismounting is just a little shy of 50 miles at 25 mph average and by then I'm ready mentally to get off and take a break, it's difficult to maintain the sort of concentration needed to keep a margin of safety at higher speeds for hours at a time. Having a decent top speed though is a good thing, being able to comfortably take your lane where it's necessary to do so and not having drivers behind getting super antsy to pass you is a positive safety aspect of a faster ebike.

One advantage to an unusual looking machine like a bent or a trike that no one has yet mentioned is that drivers tend to stay a lot further away from you, I get a surprising amount more respect on the road on my bent than I ever did on a standard diamond frame or mountain bike, almost everyone pulls all the way into the other lane to pass as if they were passing a car, on a standard bike I used to get brushed by regularly.
Thanks for the feedback on the 2 wheel recumbent. I was considering this, but the main issue is when loaded up and traveling for hours on end. Others here have stated that if you want to travel hours on end with comfort, get a full suspension trike. It kind of make sense you will lose tired mentally and probably physically balancing the bike for hours on end. With the trike, I don't have to do that and just have to worry about the potholes and whatnot. But I do appreciate your comment! Keep them coming.

As of now, I think the Full suspension Trike is the best way to go for long distance long hour travel for best comfort and efficiency.

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35113
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by dogman dan » Apr 11 2015 6:25am

It hadn't occurred to me, that since you are a trike, you already have a two wheel track. So a two wheel trailer could be fine. I did think a two wheel trailer on a side sloping road shoulder would tend to swerve down the slope, like the trike will.

Still a novice with towing myself, but behind a bike, the one wheel trailer was ok at low speeds.

User avatar
Jonathan in Hiram   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 446
Joined: Oct 06 2009 9:27pm

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Apr 11 2015 10:15am

mvly wrote:
Thanks for the feedback on the 2 wheel recumbent. I was considering this, but the main issue is when loaded up and traveling for hours on end. Others here have stated that if you want to travel hours on end with comfort, get a full suspension trike. It kind of make sense you will lose tired mentally and probably physically balancing the bike for hours on end. With the trike, I don't have to do that and just have to worry about the potholes and whatnot. But I do appreciate your comment! Keep them coming.

As of now, I think the Full suspension Trike is the best way to go for long distance long hour travel for best comfort and efficiency.
Hmm.. I didn't originally read the thread that way and on rereading I don't really see anyone saying that in so many words, one poster did say they liked the trike for going slow and not having to balance but the same poster also said they feel safer cornering at speed on a bike than on a trike.

Back when I was still riding ICE motorcycles I did 500-600 mile days on a motorcycle with no issues regarding balancing, for me at least both of my recumbent bikes are more comfortable over long periods than any motorcycle I've ever had and these days I have a lot more issues with various sorts of pain and stiffness than I did back then.
"Any sufficiently developed magic is indistinguishable from technology" -Agatha Heterodyne
"Sometimes I get tired just smilin' " -The Checkered Demon
My recumbent "Grocery Getter" https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=57678

mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 11 2015 10:28am

One more issue that just occurred to me. Flat tires. How would one deal with flat tires. Last time I had a flat on my ebike, I had to flip the bike to reload the wheel back onto the dropout. I don't see me flipping the trike if that occurs. How would you guys deal with flat tires on this thing?

User avatar
ecross   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 322
Joined: Jun 11 2011 2:09pm
Location: Munich

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by ecross » Apr 12 2015 4:55am

Good looking trike. So in your opinion which will be better for long range touring as well as occasionally high speed runs? Also why did you go with the Bodylink on both your trikes instead of the EgoMesh? I would think the EgoMesh, having more surface area, will be much more comfortable on long rides at the price of a bit of wind drag at higher speed. Am I wrong?

No you are not wrong, but I have tested all the different seats and I prefer to have Bodylink. But this is also a issue to test because you must find a good seat for your back. All the trike setups are very different and you will find your setup after some time.

mvly wrote:One more issue that just occurred to me. Flat tires. How would one deal with flat tires. Last time I had a flat on my ebike, I had to flip the bike to reload the wheel back onto the dropout. I don't see me flipping the trike if that occurs. How would you guys deal with flat tires on this thing?

We only drive Continental and Schwalbe inner tube and here the heavy+stronger BMX typ. For Tyres we prefer to have Schwalbe Energizer plus or really heavy Maraton Plus.
They have a good livetime and not so much flats. We also test the new open inner tubes from GAADI.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/23121398082 ... 106&chn=ps

I prefer to ride the new Schwalbe Energizer PLUS, in front and back, really good stuff. A flat back tires on a Trike is not fun, but with the GAADI it is ok! You can fix it without removing the e-motor.
NC 2805 mod.
H4080 mod.
4504 mod.
4503 mod. with watercooling
LiIon 24S16P from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic
Siemens 2000W travel charger

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35113
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by dogman dan » Apr 12 2015 6:53am

If nothing else, a good tube to carry as your spare. You could cut out a regular tube to replace with an open tube.

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3518
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by macribs » Apr 12 2015 8:27am

mvly wrote:One more issue that just occurred to me. Flat tires. How would one deal with flat tires. Last time I had a flat on my ebike, I had to flip the bike to reload the wheel back onto the dropout. I don't see me flipping the trike if that occurs. How would you guys deal with flat tires on this thing?
I would recommend going tubeless, ghetto style. If a flat use those tubeless plugs or put in sealer and pump up tire.
An easy fix that can be done roadside within a few minutes without flipping the bike or removing the wheel from the trike.


mvly   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 915
Joined: May 25 2011 11:50am

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by mvly » Apr 12 2015 12:18pm

@ marcibs,

Thanks for the recommendation. Tubeless seems a bit messy. How well do they work compared to inner lining with thick inner tube?

@ecross

Do the gaadi come in 20 inch version? I plan to build my rear in 20 inch version presta.

User avatar
docnjoj   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5787
Joined: Sep 29 2007 5:26pm
Location: Fairhope AL

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by docnjoj » Apr 12 2015 12:28pm

I have found for my Steintrike Mad Max that my older, wider bottom really likes the comfort of their Extra Large mesh seat. Those black fiberglass racing seats look cool but are not that comfortable on a long trip. They are made for shifting your weight to balance the trike while it is going down the racing luge tracks. Really. These folks are crazy. They race these trikes. The mesh seats rule for touring.
otherDoc
E-bike stable at our house

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Agniusm/A123 AMP 20 36 volts on the Steini has been taken off.
2x16000 Multisport from HK now gone as they died after 2 years
New Luna 10S bottle battery 13.6AH now on mine
Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.

User avatar
docnjoj   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 5787
Joined: Sep 29 2007 5:26pm
Location: Fairhope AL

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by docnjoj » Apr 12 2015 12:37pm

We only drive Continental and Schwalbe inner tube and here the heavy+stronger BMX typ. For Tyres we prefer to have Schwalbe Energizer plus or really heavy Maraton Plus.
They have a good livetime and not so much flats. We also test the new open inner tubes from GAADI.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/like/23121398082 ... 106&chn=ps

I prefer to ride the new Schwalbe Energizer PLUS, in front and back, really good stuff. A flat back tires on a Trike is not fun, but with the GAADI it is ok! You can fix it without removing the e-motor.
How does that GAADI work? Is there a site in English?

edit: Did my due diligence and found this:

http://www.moreinspiration.com/article/ ... to%20apply

In many respects like the Cobra tube.
E-bike stable at our house

Steintrike Mad Max full suspension trike rear Cute 100H going on: Whoops, Cute wheel broke but I fixed it.
Sun USX delta trike EbikeKit small geared front wheel sort of front suspension for wife

Agniusm/A123 AMP 20 36 volts on the Steini has been taken off.
2x16000 Multisport from HK now gone as they died after 2 years
New Luna 10S bottle battery 13.6AH now on mine
Relatively New 10S4Px2 for wife's bike giving 20ah @ 40 volts home made Panasonic from Tumich. BMS's rule.

User avatar
macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW
Posts: 3518
Joined: Jul 22 2014 5:59pm

Re: Recumbent Bike/Trike Touring experience?

Post by macribs » Apr 12 2015 1:03pm

mvly wrote:@ marcibs,

Thanks for the recommendation. Tubeless seems a bit messy. How well do they work compared to inner lining with thick inner tube?

It works very well according to people that have tried it - tubeless rules. They even say that if you do get a flat it takes much longer time for the air to leak out compared to normal tire with tube. The best thing about it is ease of repair. Got a nail in your tire? Remove nail, plug the hole and re pump. Done in what - 60 seconds?

Then there is the hazzle of repairing regular tire/tube setups. And bear in mind your bike/trike will have a fat hubmotor. So I would just get rear motorcycle wheel and motorcycle tire and use a ghetto style tubeless. And those m/c tires are way more durable then bike tires. Often 4 ply and much harder to penetrate then bike tires.

If you worry about leak from spoke holes you can add sikaflex or similar. But personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Post Reply