Wave Ebike another Indiegogo backed Alibaba quality bike

The Wave is an e-bike I have seen on Alibaba before. The slanted rear rack is the give away. I had never seen another bike with that rack. If they get enough orders the low price should be able to be accomplished.

Drunkskunk said:
One look at the rack's angle tells me this was designed by idiots looking to make a cash grab.

Thanks for the compliment! :roll: I am actually one of the founders and have to say that people have really been hating on the sloped rear design of the rack, so we finally decided to change it to be more traditional and parallel with the ground. To be transparent, this campaign was never intended to offer a novel ground-breaking technology, but rather an electric bike with specs that are actually useful that can be obtained at a price point by most consumers.

People ask if the motor is regenerative, the frame is aluminum, etc. and for $499 these features don't exist at such a price point. We simply want to get a super affordable electric bike with a nice top speed and range into the hands of consumers since there are absolutely no options as of today for such a thing at this price point.

Aaron

aaronb said:
Drunkskunk said:
One look at the rack's angle tells me this was designed by idiots looking to make a cash grab.

Thanks for the compliment! :roll: I am actually one of the founders. . . .

Dang, if you'd lurked a bit longer some of these guys would have worked up a full FBI psychological profile on you. I for one am amazed how much can be learned from a graphic illustration of a rack angle. Or selling that bike for $500 leaves cash to be grabbed.

I'm surprised it took so long for another 500 buck bike to appear on indegogo. I thought perhaps the funny rack angle was so you could lower the seat all the way.

Range, 15-52 miles, depending on the speed you run it. It won't be fun to squeeze 52 miles out of it using the very lowest assist mode, nor can you if you ride into any wind at all. Realistic range is 15-30 miles.

I Iike the white one, the one with the chain on the left side. :D

Seriously, IMO a much better bike to have than the storm.

As long as folks understand (doubtful) that a "cheaper" cost to buy is maybe/usually a tradeoff for higher maintenance and lower resale value? That some parts/components may be unavailable at yer "local bike shop"?

dogman dan said:
I agree its a bit better. After reading the Indiegogo site, things I like: 750 watt rear mounted motor, steel frame, wavy styling, comfort ride, Samsung lithium-ion battery. I can understand the lowered cost by not adding any gearing. I'd like to see the same bike with three gears, which should be doable. Most of the time, I'm only using three gears, though I have 24 to choose from. I keep it in the highest gearing possible most of the time and switch to lower gears when climbing hills. And its the hills that demand that option.

Should be quite cheap to add a 7 speed, BSO type derailleur to the bike. Also easy to weld on stuff like disc brake mounts too, since it's a steel bike.

Main thing I like about it is a durable DD motor with 20 amps or so of controller. Not great for range, but better for the hill than 350w stuff with a 10 amps controller. And fast, when you need fast to dodge across a busy street.

A very street usable ebike, for basic transport, commuting, etc.

arkmundi said:
dogman dan said:
I agree its a bit better. After reading the Indiegogo site, things I like: 750 watt rear mounted motor, steel frame, wavy styling, comfort ride, Samsung lithium-ion battery. I can understand the lowered cost by not adding any gearing. I'd like to see the same bike with three gears, which should be doable. Most of the time, I'm only using three gears, though I have 24 to choose from. I keep it in the highest gearing possible most of the time and switch to lower gears when climbing hills. And its the hills that demand that option.

dogman dan said:
Should be quite cheap to add a 7 speed, BSO type derailleur to the bike. Also easy to weld on stuff like disc brake mounts too, since it's a steel bike.

Main thing I like about it is a durable DD motor with 20 amps or so of controller. Not great for range, but better for the hill than 350w stuff with a 10 amps controller. And fast, when you need fast to dodge across a busy street.

The 750 watts on the Wave is really noticeable on hills. I need to get a good video online showing the hill climbing because that's where it shines compared to 350-500 watt bikes.

We are actually working on offering a disc brake upgrade (to the front wheel).

Do you guys think 3 front gears would make a difference in desirability? Or would the preference only be to have rear gears?

aaronb said:
Do you guys think 3 front gears would make a difference in desirability? Or would the preference only be to have rear gears?

I generally use my front gears rather than my rear, I have a 1000W DD kit with seven on the rear and three on the front but my rear shifter is on the right along with my throttle so I end up using the front because it's easier although the shift takes a bit longer and is a bit more noisy (going up anyway, not so much dropping down a gear).

Go with the largest chainring being a bit bigger than the one on it now to keep pedaling cadence down on the flats, then riders will have two lower gears for climbing hills or riding when the battery has gone dead. I live in a hilly but not mountainous area and almost never drop down below middle gear on the front and the rear only comes out of high if I'm riding into a headwind or pulling a trailer.

Also a chain come off the front rings is easier for the novice to deal with than a chain off on the rear where it is more likely to get jammed up.

aaronb said:
I think your formulae is a low-cost eBike entry. So the typical 3 gears on chain-ring. Adding in a cheap deraileur might spell trouble, because they'd tend to need service. And I don't find a disk brake for the speeds acquired on a 750 watt motor is necessary. I'm running on twice that with calliper brakes and they work fine, and are not as finicky as disk brakes with regards to proper alignment. The KISS approach works.

aaronb said:
arkmundi said:
dogman dan said:

dogman dan said:

The 750 watts on the Wave is really noticeable on hills. I need to get a good video online showing the hill climbing because that's where it shines compared to 350-500 watt bikes.

We are actually working on offering a disc brake upgrade (to the front wheel).

Aaron, I tried sending you a private message on IndieGogo but I'm not sure that it was sent. Is there ANY possible way to receive the bike prior to July? I desperately need an e-bike for the summer as I will be selling my only car. I originally intended to build one but after seeing your project, I couldn't pass up those specs for such a low cost. I would seriously pay an additional 200 bucks to be able to receive one earlier

You could always recommend the Efneo gearbox for those who are looking for gears. Of course, it adds about 50% to the price of the bike, but it would be a quick, elegant, and hopefully trouble free solution.

I'd say leave the cruiser frame as is, one gear up front. Keep this versions best virtue intact, It's affordable! The disk front fork upgrade not expensive to implement, so why not offer it?

Perhaps later have 21 gears, including a very large front ring, using a different frame that has a regular square taper bb. That would allow users to install the crank of their choice if they want it.

beastcoast said:
Aaron, I tried sending you a private message on IndieGogo but I'm not sure that it was sent. Is there ANY possible way to receive the bike prior to July? I desperately need an e-bike for the summer as I will be selling my only car. I originally intended to build one but after seeing your project, I couldn't pass up those specs for such a low cost. I would seriously pay an additional 200 bucks to be able to receive one earlier

I don't think I got your message, but unfortunately we cannot get a bike to you any earlier as the bikes are shipping cargo freight, so individual shipment of a bike would be a lot more expensive.

i found the bike on alibaba

http://hzyonghengcy.en.alibaba.com/product/60039812833-800376334/most_popular_48V500W_electric_beach_bike.html

hes probably making about $100-$200 on each bike

arkmundi said:
aaronb said:
I think your formulae is a low-cost eBike entry. So the typical 3 gears on chain-ring. Adding in a cheap deraileur might spell trouble, because they'd tend to need service. And I don't find a disk brake for the speeds acquired on a 750 watt motor is necessary. I'm running on twice that with calliper brakes and they work fine, and are not as finicky as disk brakes with regards to proper alignment. The KISS approach works.

Wow..you are running a 1500 watt ebike system..and using caliper brakes ?

Is that like using drum brakes on a Ferrari ? :mrgreen:

ebikedelight said:
arkmundi said:
aaronb said:

Wow..you are running a 1500 watt ebike system..and using caliper brakes ?

Is that like using drum brakes on a Ferrari ? :mrgreen:

I don't see an issue. I run good quality, well adjusted V-brakes with a Mac10 at speeds up to 40 mph, and have never felt wanting for more stopping power. Look at the brakes used by road racers, who hit extreme speeds on mountain descents...calipers.

Almost $400,000 worth of orders, pretty impressive really. The USD has surged to record highs against all major currencies, so the timing is right to do a big order from China.
Still I can't help but look at all the twisted words and marketing like how they have the big Yahoo image on there which is deliberately setup to suggest that Yahoo are endorsing the bike.
Also things like the 28MPH speed and Range of 52miles are right next to each other suggesting they can do that.

Even with the video showing them doing 26.95 miles seems a bit misleading with out saying average speed.

When using the ebikes.ca simulator a 48v 12Ah battery only goes about 14miles total range of ANY motor available here at around 28mph, I hope buyers aren't naive enough to think that a grey market $500 chinese ebike can some how magically be more then 2x efficient then all the most respected ebike motors known. Because they are suggesting this more then saying otherwise...
http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

edit, aha I see closer to the bottom of the page it talks about needing to go at 20mph to reach 28miles... OK

I can't help but see that slopped battery carriage as a manufactures mistake and they just have a pile of them they need to get rid of anyway possible.

avitt wrote:
I don't see an issue. I run good quality, well adjusted V-brakes with a Mac10 at speeds up to 40 mph, and have never felt wanting for more stopping power. Look at the brakes used by road racers, who hit extreme speeds on mountain descents...calipers.

A MAC 10t at 40mph! What voltage are you running?
As for the Pros, they don't weigh half of what we run. Rider and bike.
For what they are selling, rim brakes will do just fine.
Low weight and so so speed will be fine with them.

I sure hope you don't believe all you read on these ads.

Dan

DAND214 said:
avitt wrote:

Dan

I run at 30-32 mph on the flat, with a 38-40 mph downhill section. My point is that rim brakes are perfectly adequate, especially for dry, road conditions.

Avitt said:
DAND214 said:
avitt wrote:

Dan

I run at 30-32 mph on the flat, with a 38-40 mph downhill section. My point is that rim brakes are perfectly adequate, especially for dry, road conditions.

30/32 so at what voltage is that?

Dan

Good price and noble attempt but shame about 1st impression weird angle missing badly with an already undesirable rear mounted battery. Particularly, when such a nice large triangle is available.

I ride single speed most of the time so that doesn't bother me. I also have good experiences with rim brakes but a front disc should be practically standard in this day and age.

Can appreciate the "attempt" to bring range estimates more in line with reality although it's still kinda misleading. Nothing new there, almost everybody does it. But that doesn't make it right.

Back