KickAss 29ER

KarlJ

100 W
OK
Bought a mid range 29ER Trek Excalibur 7 (more teeth on front chainring than excalibur8)

Have an 8T MAC + 12FET, both thumb and twist throttles (just in case i like the twist as last bike has thumb)
Rear drive.
Paul (em3ev) did me a great deal on a ~16AH 50V 20R pack as runout everyone wants 25R now.

problem is i expected a triangle pack -my bad should have read more carefully - got a rectangular pack!

so my question - I can make it look very neat attaching batt to top tube with some cushioning + colour matching black plastic stapping (have machine to glue it together and tighten),
controller underneath on a bracket attached to the bottle mounts all within triangle of frame.
or i can use the EM3ev frame bag - or combo

my Quandry - do i use the frame bag - -cut holes in it for straps (to hold battery) as bag itself will not carry the battery at the top
and cut holes at the bottom to solid mount contoller (albeit small)

do I go for a naked look with battery and controller visible

Pros/ cons

Naked - good cooling
BAG- better weather resistance

Doing the MTB pipeline (kalgoorlie to Perth on gravel) ebike challenge 600kms /5 days and post this intend use as commuter bike ~250kms/week = no slap it together crap this has to be tough.
My last creation 350W MAC front drive fixie

Be quick - wheel fit up happened last night, bike getting finished up tomorrow one way or other

Advice appreciated

Naked controller a must.

To carry a battery on the top tube, strap or bolt a flat platform securely to the tube. Then the batt has a flat surface to hold it. preferably a U shape, so it doesn't slide to the side.

Bike built!

Would post some video for youtube but i'd get arrested :shock:

Properly QUICK bike.

Mounted bag sans some straps, inserted aluminium into bag at bottom for better support of battery on frame.

Looks a million bucks.
If controller in fresh air where?
seatpost looks shit, leaves it in the mud and rain if in same spot as fighter/bomber, not hugely confident in
that for an everyday bike.

Frankly more concerned about frying motor than the controller!

Got any pictures?
Would have loved to do the pipeline challenge myself
Your kick arse with that set up if you don't shred the gears or clutch offroad
Can't see it going 180km (first stage) though at 16ah capacity unless you really nurse it, or add a booster/range extender pack for that stage, probably need to tone down the controller amps

Would not want to run out of battery and have to solely pedal

I wanted to use a bbs02 and 32ah of multistars if I entered on a downhill bike

Good luck

almost there!
waiting on a post mount for sub battery. (em3ev 29E frame battery @~11AH 48V)
shake down ride gives 100kms + with 16.5AH @ 50V

Although in non endurance mode does >60km/hr :) (with a SERIOUS drop in range)

Attachments

• pipe bike.JPG
    pipe bike.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 762
speaks for itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QCKEWgsP9c&feature=youtu.be

prolly too quick for bike path

KarlJ said:
prolly too quick for bike path
Yep. Right in the middle. Too fast for the cycle path, yet not enough to ride safely with cagers. On the good side, the cycle path don't seem to be very busy and you might get away with speeding them for some time.

Yeah, agreed. Too fast to flog it on the bike path at those times. Keep it down during busy times and the skinny sections since the visibility isn't the greatest on that path.

I ride about 20 mph with others around and open it up when I'm sure no one is ahead. Can't tell you what I've had it up to... :twisted:

Back