Manufacturers/Dealers to Gravitate Towards

JinbaIttai

100 W
I recommend AmpedBikes.

Located in the US, and genuinely concerned about his product.

And a damn good price too.

Me too, Danny at Amped bikes
1 Speaks English
2 Is located in the US
3 Answers your emails
4 Really tries to help
5 Gets on his forum often and tries to keep us informed and happy
6 Puts his face out there on video backing up his company

Do yourself a favour and gravtate to Ampedbikes.

I'm sure ampedbikes is great, but until there is a much wider variety of motors to choose from it'll only work for a select niche of people. There is no way I'd do a NineCont for my 1,600ft mountain commute. Wouldn't last a week. If they want to compete with the likes of ebike.ca and electricrider.com they are going to need more variety.

Climbing Mont Ventoux by Bédouin didn't kill any of the 9Conts the Velectris guys used, think Pikes Peak hill climb but with extreme winds as you reach the top. Can't wait to see people using them trickle onto this forum!

This being said, ebikes.ca rocks really hard as far as dealers go, they're probably #1 in the world at the moment.

Meh. Sure, whatever... I climb 1,600ft during my commute at an average of 10% with some small sections up to 20% so am familiar with climbing "hills"... wasn't meaning to knock the NineConts motors... don't know anything about them. The first two posts seems a little salesy that's all so just wanted to do a reality check post more than anything.

Here's what ebikes.ca says about the NineConts... I trust them:

ebike.ca said:
These motors do not have the sheer mass of metal as the larger Crystalyte units and have a thinner gauge lead wire into the hub, and so are not as amenable to being used well beyond the nominal operating conditions. We recommend sticking to 48V or less and using 30A or lower motor controllers.

Just checked my post (number 2) and yup it does sound a little sales like - sorry about that. I am genuinely happy with the way they have treated me though (I was treated sooooooo badly by GM that I feel strongly that decent treatment needs recognising).

I too liked ebikes but it was a bit more expensive (I'm on a budget with this first one) so I went with Ampedbikes.

I'll let you know, good or bad, how things continue.

I guess we should acknowledge Li Ping and his duct tape batteries as being above all the rest for sales aftermarket support and quality. Great batts as long as you consider them 1-1.5C and take care of them!
otherDoc

John Karambalis
http://www.emtb.com.au/

I found his customer service and communication and honesty to be excellent.
I like the fact that they have a personal interest in e bikes and use what they sell.
Went out of his way to make sure I was happy and work through any problems or questions I had.

I would buy from John again.

kurt.

Kurt said:
John Karambalis

I found his customer service and communication and honesty to be excellent.
I like the fact that they have a personal interest in e bikes and use what they sell.
Went out of his way to make sure I was happy and work through any problems or questions I had.

I would buy from John again.

kurt.

I second that completely. I've bought a stand alone Cycle Analyst from him as well as two headway 36v10Ah packs with BMS and charger. It gave me a 2 month (at least!) jump on the headway group buy guys too. The prices are competitive, especially now with the exchange rate. I'm in the process of organising for him to do some custom ebike work for me too.

Having local support is worth something to me. Prompt email assistance and he says he'll deal with warranty issues for us.

He's pushing the ebike boundries with his custom off-road rigs, but providing for the tamer ebikers too :D
Does this not look like fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWz6hZs1n8Y&fmt=18 eBike drifting 8)

I have to put in a rave review for Dennis @ Bernson EV !
The guy fully refunded my $ after a long drawn out battle with the WE corporation.
His communication is great and his PR is super. Thanks Dennis!

We recommend sticking to 48V or less and using 30A or lower motor controllers.

Peak power of 1,400 watts is a lot!

Yes, crystalyte 4xx motors can do well over 1400 watts but, assuming you are not looking for an e-motorcycle, 1400 watts should do.

While I'm here I may as well mention greenewheels, for a basic, complete road legal (in Australia, it has a 200W sticker) "ready to go" ebay electric bike. This is a good off-the-shelf bike for getting started, or a base for further upgrades.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/greenewheels

Although now I've got the bug for going "stealth", I'm also looking at a Norco or similar entry level mountain bike with an E-MTB Crystalyte kit fitted or similar, depending on how my finances go the next few months, but right now happy clocking up the KMs on my ebay bike.

+1 for Renaissance (ebikes.ca)

I made my (first & only thus far) purchase from them after hearing good things on this forum. They were eager to give in-depth answers to my emails before and after my purchase. Justin even wrote me a lengthy reply while on his cross continent trip.

I mentioned Sid Gowdy in another thread for tadpole trikes but here is the right place. Sort of like the Ping of bolt together tadpoles! http://www.americruiser.com/ Inexpensive and long lived! Easy to modify. Love it!
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
...http://www.americruiser.com/ Inexpensive and long lived! Easy to modify. Love it!
otherDoc

From the website:

2eg7djn.jpg

Lol! :D Do you think he will drool on you while you ride?

Dont do dogs! Carry groceries and occasionally little kidz. They better not drool! But they pull ears! :) Aynway, thats a custom rack, and I just got a regular one and shopping baskets!
otherDoc

Not sure where I should post this, if at all, but here goes. I signed up to an outfit called Alibaba.com. It is a Chinese Manufactures listing , where you can find almost anything. One company which sells hub motors claims they will sell me 30 kits complete with laced wheels for around $3000.00 usd shipping included to Canada. The actual inquiry I made was for 29 500 watt kits and 1 1000 watt kit, sense then I have received several Ph calls from somebody who calls himself "Jimmy from China". My problem with him is that his Ph # shows on my call display as an American #, area code 215 742 xxxx which is listed to a private residence in PA. I know that if you buy quanity the price from Asia is very low, as another company has offered 10 1000 watt kits for $1550.00 shipping included from Indonesia.
Has anybody else heard of this Jimmy or done busness with him?

Wait! I can sell U a bridge that I own that goes from Manhattan to Brooklyn for only 2000 Cd! :) Be vewy, vewy careful when dealing on Alibaba! and the 40 thieves!
otherDoc

Bob, AKA Knuckles on the board.

My POS gm controller was garbage. I sent him a pm which he promptly replied to. Got on his ebay page and purchased a controller. Asked him what I needed with my setup. Responded and shipped very quickly. Now, after months of building, my ebike finally fires! Great controller and great seller. If you need a replacement, he'll take care of you. :D

docnjoj said:
Wait! I can sell U a bridge that I own that goes from Manhattan to Brooklyn for only 2000 Cd! :) Be vewy, vewy careful when dealing on Alibaba! and the 40 thieves!
otherDoc

I have to second that. Indonesia is a trade-mark scamming country now-a-days, so I'd be particularly careful about those offers. Best thing is to have someone local who can be your buying agent and, yeah, it has to be someone you trust. :wink:

This is a topic that makes me weepy. I pay full retail for what I get. I am a relative noob, despite being one of the first members, after Mathurin, to join ES.

Manufacturers/Dealers to Gravitate Towards:

Any of them who are here and actively serving the public good.

I know two of them now:

Justin Elmore Lemoir (since my beginning here). Justin and his firm are first rate in every way.
I've got an Ezee Kit on the way.

The second Manufacturers/Dealers to Gravitate Towards: Li PING, call him Ping; his friends call him Ping.
I have just met him since my return to ebiking, through this forum, his reputation here is like gold.
I have corresponded with Ping and I have a battery on its way now (it goes in the mail tomorrow).

------

Of all the fine, good people in a wide world of all kinds, I have found these two: the supplier of my new bike's motor kit,
and of its essential battery, ready to install. Ping speaks virtually perfect English. He is kindly, prompt and....

of all the good Chinese people there must be: billions, surely, Mr. Li Ping stands out from them all, to us, because he is
here, for us, and his product is said to be extraordinary.

Justin (great name) and Ping. Play a game here? Ping pong your business for ready-to-install stuff between Justin and Ping?

There are others: Ypedal here is a pioneer member and fine dealer. But I wanted a freewheeling, geared motor.
The firm that Knoxie helps out: first class.

I name only two, though, because I feel that I know them so very well already. I "read minds".
Ypedal, Ping, Justin.....I happen to know their minds: courteous, helpful, and hell, I'd feel safe even if I had to pay cash in advance for any goods....

...cash in advance? In the olden days, that's how mail order business generally worked: you mailed in the money and you waited and hoped. I digress only slightly. Today we pay safely, with a CC, and know we will be well-served and are legally, well protected;
but with any of these named firms/felllows? I'd trust them like the ebike brothers which they are to all of us.

Kurt said:
John Karambalis

Great a positive thread.

The above site isnt very big on variety but good service and products is better than dank treatment and under quality variety. Oz too ;)

http://www.evpower.com.au
Even though they sell golden products I'll put EV-Power Australia on this list as at least Rod tests the products before he sends them. My gear has been fine and my golden motor is putting foot to ass. The new lifepo4's are up to standard. Dont take my word though as I havent bought one yet. And I cant speak for the avanti products. They deal with EV car stuff too which will becoming a new interest of mine in the future. The service is up there and yes Rod speaks English too.

Has any one had experience with these guys.
http://www.electricscooterparts.com
Please respond.^

This had a good selection of new and older parts for restoring the older e-bikes. I have a retro love for the brushed motors.

Yeah, I bought my first scooter parts from....wait for it....electricscooterparts.com
I spent ages scouring the net for motors and controllers that I wanted (this was a couple of years ago mind you). I cracked up when I found the site. Could you get a more obvious name! Anyway, I bought a 1200watt MY1020 motor ($99 back then!) a yiyun controller, hall effect twist grip throttle, slick 12 inch tyres. They were great, I sent the money, they sent the parts, no problems. I would recommend them coz I had no problems. But I think the real test is when you have problems.

While I'm here,
electricvehiclesusa.com I have also dealt with and again, no problems. In fact I have never had a problem buying EV stuff off the net. I wish local retailers were as reliable!

Back