Hallomotor hubs on ebay, August 2015

spinningmagnets

Staff member
Up until recently, yescomusa has been the risky bargain clone to buy for budget hot rodders and experimenters. I think for a few bucks more, Hallomotor might be better. $190 for hub only, free shipping is claimed. 6-speed freewheel is spec'd. 135mm drop-outs. Axle is 10mm X 14mm.

The thing that stood out for me when I stumbled across this is...phase cable exits the axle inside the drop-outs, plus the 35mm wide stator on the 1500W. The cable exit not only protects the wires when the bike crashes, it also means the wires and connectors don't have to pass through the axle-nut. Soldering-on larger connectors would be a breeze (if you want).

These four listed below all appear to be identical, just different windings.

48V / 750W, 30mm wide magnets, 300-RPM ( 6.2 Kv?)

36V / 500W, 30mm wide magnets, 350-RPM (9.7 Kv?)

48V / 1000W, 30mm wide magnets, 480-RPM (10.0 Kv?)

24V / 500W, 30mm wide magnets, 350-RPM (14.5 Kv?)

48V / 1500W, 35mm wide magnets, 600-RPM (12.5 Kv)
This is a fast winding, if Kv is true, maybe unloaded 40-MPH in a 22-inch outside diameter moped tire (listed as a 17-inch ID moped tire)

Cassette freehub available for $10 extra (30mm wide magnet has 135mm drops, 35mm magnet has 145mm drops) if you don't mind the cable exiting the tip of the axle on the left.

Their ebay store (400-ish items)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hallomotor/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Their home page
http://www.hallomotor.com/e-bike-hub-motors

This is all just ebay ad speculation, the axles might be made from recycled Chinese aluminum beer cans as far as I know...just sayin'

MotorHallo.png

I purchased that hub motor from Hallomotor last January (2015) and have about 2500 miles of mostly commuting on it so far and it's my favorite motor yet (have or had a Cute 128R, 9C clone, BMC V3, Bafang BBS02 750).

With a basic Chinese 45 A sinewave controller it will run just shy of 40 MPH on flats with 13S loaded (50lbs bike / 26" wheels+ 160 lbs rider). If I pedal I can get up to 45 MPH :p 60t/12t drive. The kv must be very high because unloaded I get about 60 MPH (roughly 600RPM). Not sure if the motor is very different from the Leaf 35 mm...maybe just rebranded version?

Hello Guys,

I'm a bit noob in ebike and these motors seems to suit to my needs (especially the 48V / 1kW version)
However, I try to avoid mistakes in my choice.
Hallomotor proposes 3 rear hub motors for 48V / 1kW
http://www.hallomotor.com/48v-1000w-powerful-motor-for-electric-bike-brushless-hub-motor-for-rear-wheel.html
http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-new-style-black-48v-1000w-brushless-gearless-cassette-hub-motor-for-rear-wheel-ebike.html
http://www.hallomotor.com/2015-new-style-black-48v-1000w-brushless-gearless-thread-in-hub-motor-for-rear-wheel-ebike.html

You talk about a "Cassette" version of the motor. I've done a few search on the net but I didn't understand the difference between a cassette hub motor and a thread-in hub motor.
Maybe anyone could help me to understand this point?

I have also looked on their controllers. The one designed for the 48V / 1KW motor has a max current specification which is around 25A (thus max power is 1200W) http://www.hallomotor.com/48v-1000w-brushless-dc-sine-wave-ebike-controller-regenerative-function.html.
I have read here http://www.4qd.co.uk/faq/bmnc1.html#choice, that choosing an oversized controller is a good idea because it avoids heat generation on the controller.
What are your point of view on Hallomotor's controllers? Do I have too choose a "48V / 1.5kW" controller to plug it on a 48V / 1kW motor?

Thanks for all!

Freewheel is the tread on style gears. Cassette are the kind that fit down on a splined freewheel attached to the hub. Most motors are freewheel, though in the last few years, Cassette hubs have become increasingly available.

The advice at that link about an oversize controller is out of context for ebikes. Namely, an ebike motor will suck down as many amps as it can get, and needs the controller to limit them. Get too high of a rated controller, and you could melt your motor.

Pick a controller with a limit that matches the current needs of your bike. The wattage rating on most ebike controllers is misleading, and in the context of an ebike, can generally be ignored. What matters is the Amp and Voltage ratings.
For most >1000w kits, a 6 FET controller is all they need. In reality, a 6 FET is good well past 3000 watts, but people often go for a bigger controller once they start modifying the bike for higher power and speed.

Anyone know if they sell their 1500w motor laced in a rim, not a kit but just the motor? Just checked their store, couldn't find anything.

I would send them a message and ask. I communicated with them before and they answered my questions promptly with good english.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone bought a sine wave controller from them? They seem to offer them in many different power ratings from 250W to 1500W and with regeneration. On Ebay they sell them with an optional LCD panel that does some PAS and power level functions.

I wonder if this motor is the same as the leaf 1500w. Hey SamRich can you open your motor and measure the thickness of the stator laminations? I hope they are 0.35mm like the leaf. I wish hallo motor would put up a dyno graph or at least give us an efficiency number. I also saw this motor from Greentime on aliexpress that looks exactly the same. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/E-bike-Hub-Spoke-Motor-48V-1500W-Brushless-DC-Motor-for-Rear-Wheel/313864_32322994192.html

FluxShifter said:
I wonder if this motor is the same as the leaf 1500w. Hey SamRich can you open your motor and measure the thickness of the stator laminations? I hope they are 0.35mm like the leaf. I wish hallo motor would put up a dyno graph or at least give us an efficiency number. I also saw this motor from Greentime on aliexpress that looks exactly the same. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/E-bike-Hub-Spoke-Motor-48V-1500W-Brushless-DC-Motor-for-Rear-Wheel/313864_32322994192.html

It's my daily commuter so I don't want it offline, but when I do I'll report back. :)

Gregor said:
Slightly off topic, but has anyone bought a sine wave controller from them? They seem to offer them in many different power ratings from 250W to 1500W and with regeneration. On Ebay they sell them with an optional LCD panel that does some PAS and power level functions.

I purchased a complete kit from them with 48v 1500w front hub motor. Smooth startup and silent sinewave controller. Speed of the motor is as described. Controller and LCD3 combo limits the speed to 72kph max unloaded, loaded I reach 55 to 60kph on fairly level ground. Currently swapped to a 72v s12sn controller to reach 72kph on incline.

Leaf 1500W motor is $175 sale and $343 packaged, these Hallomotors are roughly $100 sale.
I'd rather just buy the Leaf unless there is a weight difference. 7.18kg is Leafs website. Hallo is 7kg.

bob brooke said:
I recently purchased the Hallomotor 48 volt 1500 watt motor laced in a 26 inch hub. This is by far the best motor I have purchased, quality seems quite high and it is completely quiet.Good power and runs to 76km's on the bench.
their after sales service was very good.

Thanks bob brooke for the high praises given to Hallomotor, on your first post non-the-less!

Within 8 minutes of registering an account, the first post.

Anyone else or any updates on this motor? Ive been looking to upgrade from my 1kw hub which maxed out at 32mph on 26" rim on 13s 48v lion pack. I want to hit 40mph top speed.

Can anyone verify if the Hallomotor has the desirable 0.35mm thick laminations? or the common 0.50mm...That would be the main difference in the Leafbike 35mm

Yeah hi I'm new to this forum, so hello everybody. I am now in the process of researching bicycles, electric components, and batteries and will soon be at the phase of buying this stuff and putting it together. As far as the hallomotor 1500w rear kit is concerned, yeah it's cool how the wires exit the hub at the base of the axle instead of at the end of it, and its also cool how their kit comes with a half twist throttle with a shut off key, and some people might prefer the all black brakes over the black and silver ones. But at 145mm what the hell can you put it on? The reason nobody is sharing their experience on purchasing this product is because it is such a weird size. It's too big for your conventional road or mountain bike, but to small for a specialty frame like a stealth bomber. I was considering using a steel road bike or an aluminum 29er, but if I use the hallomotor with the steel road bike, i'd have to stretch it from 130mm to 145mm, which seems like a lot even for steel, and if i use the 29er I have to try to spread it from 135mm to 145mm which I fear may be too much for aluminum.

If i go with the leaf bikes 1500w rear kit, the way I like to stunt and whatnot, I am afraid sheering off the wires that come out of the axle. But worst case scenario I can open open up the hub and repair it with some solder, wire, and heat shrink.

So I guess I'll just piece together my own kit by mixing and matching parts like the leaf bikes 135mm hub and the hallomotor keyed half throttle. What do you guys think?

Hi BikeSexual... I have one of the 1500w Conhismotor (Hallomotor) kits on my bike. It is actually 135mm. It fit snugly in my Cannondale Trail SL5 29er aluminum frame bike without any stretching.

I feel this kit is of a slightly higher quality than some of the other gamble kits on the market (of which I own two). The packaging was superior and the shipping was surprisingly fast for a kit from China. The brake levers are less sloppy, the throttle is also less sloppy and feels to be of a higher quality. The only downside is that it uses the same cheap connectors as any other budget Chinese made kit.

I am happy with the purchase and have not had any issues with well over 500 km on the bike. The other kits have caused me a lot more headaches, including an allinone kit I just bought.

Wow, very cool daytonampco, very as I am new to this forum.

I'm gonna go with the hallomotor kit probably and possibly a battery from lunacycles..

Three questions then I guess:
Do you have any experience with the leaf bikes kit for comparison?
Do you even use your gears anymore, like in pas mode, or just the tallest gear?
How wide is the rim hallomotor sends out, like 700c skinny or 29er wide?

Thanks in advance for the advice. :)

Back