Possible to handlebar mount pelican case onto Genesis V2100?

terminus

100 mW
Hi there. I was wondering if it is possible to mount a small 1200 pelican case to the handlebars of the V2100. I get the general idea and don't see any reason why not but is there any specifics of this kind of thing I may want to know about ahead of time? I generally get the idea to use rubber-covered clamps that screw onto the bars but is there a particular type I should look out for?

Also I'm guessing the wiring for everything will not reach far enough, is there plug and play wiring that I can use to extend it or would I need to splice everything with new wiring?

About the Peilican, there was a guy who attached a Pelicase to the handlebar on the top and to the stanchions to the bottom but I can't find the thread.

Here is a good example of pelicans and it's clamps: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37759&start=50 They use double crown forks, and is what I would recommend you as well.

The Inconvenient is that it affects the steering at lower speeds. Also a heavy weight (pelicase+batteries) should be attached as lower as you could.

Welcome to the forum by the way!!!! :D :D :D :D If you're from Uk I can recommend a good provider of clamps.

Okay, thank you for the link and advice about keeping it low. I will be trying to do with with a stock v2100 so double crown forks are out but was hoping to at least run zipties from the case to the single crown fork to help with stability.

Thanks for the warm welcome, sure I would love another supplier to at least compare to, though I am not in the UK it couldn't hurt to look :)

I did a handle bar mount battery bag, using an L shaped aluminum piece to support it.

Step one for me, was replacing the bars with a set of adult size BMX handlebars. The sturdy crossbar on the top was my mounting point. Drill and bolt there, to attach the bars.

Same sort of thing may work good for you, except a pelican case.Handlebar battery support.jpg

Another solution that might be viable for you is a front rack from Amazon ($16 or so) - just put front bike rack into your browser.

That should work fine for street.

Though high on the bike, I found it better for off road riding, to get my battery as close to the pivot point as I could get. If the bike had a triple tree, I'd have just bolted to that.

I can carry an 8 pound battery on the bars and ride it ok, but for any kind of difficult trail I need to cut that front battery weight down to 4-5 pounds.

It saddens me whenever I see battery's mounted on the handle bars there is no worst place to mount them then there. We put all the money and time in to build are E bikes but over look or never give a thought to were n how a large and heavy battery will fit to our donor bike . No it wont handle well it will suck you need to rethink this at least use a seat post mount and don,t carry more battery then you need just take your charger with you .

rider95 said:
It saddens me whenever I see battery's mounted on the handle bars there is no worst place to mount them then there. We put all the money and time in to build are E bikes but over look or never give a thought to were n how a large and heavy battery will fit to our donor bike . No it wont handle well it will suck you need to rethink this at least use a seat post mount and don,t carry more battery then you need just take your charger with you .
I don't suppose you could expand on how it would suck, why it would suck, supporting evidence and so on? None of the threads I read seemed too up in arms about all that and I'd like to think I did a fair amount of research.

Seems to me like it would be more balanced to get a lot of the weight off the back, less likely to wheelie. The weight would be evenly matched between the motor weight in the rear and the combined weight of battery + case in front. I have also tested with a 10 pound kettlebell hanging off the front, didn't feel very different. Turning was still fairly easy and I kinda see what dogman dan meant referring to the pivot point, turning gets easier the closer it is to the frame.

Besides, I already have an ebike with a seatpost mounted battery. I do not like the way that handles when braking hard while offroading, the rear slides out. It has caused me to crash because of it. And honestly I just don't think rear packs look good.

You think having the battery on the seat post sucks off-roading wait till you ride it with the battery on the forks . how you
gonna pop the front wheel over curbs n logs ??? , only ppl that mount battery's on the forks like that are those that have no understanding or experience with motorcycles and off road riding (see Geo Orbiter ) what do you think is goanna happen on a dark wet road cruising @ 30 when you don't see that pot hole???

rider95 said:
what do you think is goanna happen on a dark wet road cruising @ 30 when you don't see that pot hole???
I dunno, the suspension will take care of it? What do you think is going to happen?

Kiwi used to make fork-lifts.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33767#p491162

Uh, to pop over a curb or whatever, you just blip the throttle. :twisted:

That's how it works on the bike I put a handlebar battery mount on. BTW, I never carry more than 4 pounds in that front bag. It actually rides a bit better with some weight on the bars, because the antiquated Y frame bike won't allow a mid frame battery. So I ride with 4- 8 pounds in the worst place, a rear rack. On a long ride, 8 pounds on the rear, 4 in front, for 48v 15 ah. For short rides, I just put 4 pounds on the rear rack.

If I could afford some new bikes, I'd carry that battery properly in the frame. I'd love to get one of those new frames like the one EM3ev is selling.

I certainly did not mean to advocate a handle bar mount as the best way to carry a battery. The question was how to do it.

In the end, my bike handles OK, Not superb, just ok. But I dog dare you to try to keep up with me on my home trails. Very twisty trail, and a bike that handles sucky can't do them at all. So my bike doesn't suck, it just doesn't handle perfect.

I did try the battery just on the bars, as in this picture. But I found it rode better with less weight up front. So I moved the 8 pound battery to the rear rack in the end. So now the rear rack has a bag not seen in this picture. 5304 rear motor, 48v 40 amps controller. Giant, with font battery bag..jpg

With my back ground having a battery on the forks won't work for me you need to keep the weight as low and centered as possible , but for builds like yours were battery placement is just a after thought yes you can put on the forks and yes it will need to be in a sturdy crash resisted box . And no it won't handle that well and putting a way more big of battery then you need will make it worst but if that's the best you can think of go for it.

Well here's an alternate proposal, let me know what you guys think.
If using this 48v 20ah pack the dimensions are 6x6x4". A mockup on cardboard shows this is a few millimeters too large if laid on its side.

But if laid flat it would fit.

It would protrude from the triangle though. If I made a battery box to fit it laid flat like that each side would protrude from the triangle by about 3". Is that too much? If I went this route instead would my knees bang against it? Not that I plan on doing a lot of pedaling, the rear gears will be removed so I probably would not be able to keep up. But I would want to know it would still be comfortable, you know?

Here's what it would look like with just the battery, from a top-down view.

I estimated an extra inch to the battery box to make it easily accomodate the battery, so total width about 7".

Four of my regular bikes have BMX bars supporting good sized front baskets. I find this to be the optimum arrangement for smallish day-to-day type loads, since I can keep an eye on the cargo while I ride.

When doing grocery shopping, I frequently have 20 pounds or more of stuff in the handlebar basket. While this is no trouble to manage, it has a couple of drawbacks that would make it not so good as a permanently mounted weight. First, it makes the bike's handling a little weird. Not impossible, but kind of shaky. Second, it makes the bike difficult to stand up by leaning against something, and impossible to rest on its kickstand.

If you can, the best arrangement for a front battery case is to hang it from the head tube of the bike, so it doesn't turn with the bars. Unfortunately, your cheap and hideous one-size bicycle-shaped object doesn't have a long enough head tube to clamp to, so without major surgery to your frame, you're out of luck there.

If you attach a front rack to the lowers of your pogo fork, you'll give your battery a very harsh ride that could damage it, and will certainly beat up the rack.

There are a few bars with integrated baskets that would offer you somewhat reasonable weight distribution, secure mounting options, and the benefits of whatever suspension your pogo fork offers.

90202.jpg

OOOO, like that handlebar with the basket built in!

Re the sideways mount battery,, you'll hit your toes on it while pedaling. If you pedal. :twisted:

But for sure, with that frame, you just have to carry at least a portion of your battery there!!!

I use to have battery boxes mounted on either side of my frame, but I tired of scraping up my knees on them. I finally decided pedaling was important to me again, as my health returned.

If serious about riding dirt hard and fast, with a big battery, you just need to eventually get this, or something like it. At the top level of dirt ride performance, you just have to carry all the battery in the middle.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=209

I've been learning to weld, with the aim of eventually building a frame with a large battery tray, and full suspension. Long way to go before I can weld that good though.

Step one sell the battery and buy something that suits your space. If you haven't bought it then dont.

Front fork is easy if you have dual crown forks as you will be giving up too much of that expensive travel IMO.

Another option if your not to concerned about perfect pedaling is front of the seat above. Yes weight is high up but not as high on the fork.
Basically get a cheap seat rack and turn it forward and bend it down and reinforce it to the top bar.
1378253_10151990469889845_1860829478_n.jpg

I did run 10ah 16s headways until I sold them for much more mounting friendly lipo bricks..... Under the shopping bag is a pelican case and reversed seat post.

John Bozi said:
Step one sell the battery and buy something that suits your space. If you haven't bought it then dont.
Say I got a smaller battery that actually fits right in there like a small triangle pack, wouldn't it still bulge out from the pack to some extent? How much is too much? Is there a specific width where something mounted in the triangle becomes a problem and impedes pedaling?

Ok thanks, that's a decently large width. Lipo's not a good option for me I need something a little more user friendly.. Maybe I will see if I can clear that width by sliding the pack into a battery bag at an angle.

Back