Adaptto Controller PAS

ElectricDreams

100 µW
Im wondering if anyone has used Pedal Assist on the Adaptto Controller at all?
Im looking at having a "legal" mode for the EU on a project Im looking at.

I can't seem to find much info on PAS and the Adaptto, only brief mentions,

Derek

Running on Eco lets you utilize PAS, works a treat assuming you setup your gearing/cadence at speed with your wanted assist power :D. The power and speed variables are slightly lower than 'Norm' and 'Boost', but as it's been said before PAS at 30+ is going to be rare.

Not much more to say, it works. If I were to be ultra picky maybe the power stays on a little too long when you stop pedalling. I mean 3-5 seconds so it's not massive, but notable coming from a crystalyte setup.

Ah ok, sounds good. I just need it to be close to "legal" so I can bluff if needs be.
Am I right in thinking that there is special firmware that adaptto can provide that helps with this as it sets it as default mode when powered on?

I have tried a few PAS functions and I think they all NEED an electronic switch in the brake handles.
The resolution of the magnet ring and the delay to cut power makes this function unavoidable in my opinion.
With a brakeswitch/hallsensor it works well and feels safe. That said, I very rarely use the PAS on my adaptto powered bike.

When you turn the Adaptto on it automatically goes to 'Eco' mode first then you have to change it to higher power settings 'depending on your parameters in those settings'. It'll be 'legal' as long as your not coasting to a stop from 30+mph. No firmware changes required, plug and play :D.

The only thing it doesn't do is limit the throttle to 8mph whilst PAS is set at 25kph. Tbh if someone is questioning you that much, they either know the current law by heart, you were riding badly/too obviously in the first place :wink:.

As Wheazel said PAS isn't used frequently. Find trail use it works best, otherwise doing 20+ offroad I'd have a mid drive motor or use my light weight enduro's.

Thanks for the info! 1st hand experience is always appreciated, in saying that I've never used Pas and I did see in various threads that it's not implemented very well in general except in commercial ebikes, particularly the adaptto controller. So I may have to use an arduino to keep it "legal" to an extent by detecting motion in the crank and stopping quicker than the controller.

Tbh I think if I were you I'd try to get hands on before tinkering. Although PAS isn't implemented very will with standard magnets and hall, it is still pretty damn good. However if your wanting 'perfect' torque sensing your looking along the lines of this. It doesn't effect the 'legality' side of it, tbh a stonking great motor will give that away before looking further into how the system is setup :lol:.

Nice find! Does the Adaptto support this at all by any chance? or just the CA? Legal for me would be showing the fuzz how I have to pedal to get it going, they'll drop it at that point, as long as I don't shoot past them at 60mph that is :lol:

ElectricDreams said:
Ah ok, sounds good. I just need it to be close to "legal" so I can bluff if needs be.
Am I right in thinking that there is special firmware that adaptto can provide that helps with this as it sets it as default mode when powered on?

Hello,

1) Our controllers don't support torque sensors currently.

2) Everything is correctly explained about PAS feature except for the firmware. There is a regular firmware which is installed into every controller and there is a special "password protected" firmware for those who need the bike to comply with EU and US laws as much as possible.
This firmware has additional feature allowing to set a password for switching between power profiles. In practice you can ride at high speeds even without using the PAS but just get back to ECO and PAS with only one or two clicks. After that controller will require password for returning to Normal or Boost mode - this is useful if someone would try to check the power of your bike. :)

In order to get such firmware just send an email to techsupport@adaptto.com with the topic (password protected firmware).

Adaptto E-Drives Lab said:
ElectricDreams said:

Hello,

2) Everything is correctly explained about PAS feature except for the firmware. There is a regular firmware which is installed into every controller and there is a special "password protected" firmware for those who need the bike to comply with EU and US laws as much as possible.
This firmware has additional feature allowing to set a password for switching between power profiles. In practice you can ride at high speeds even without using the PAS but just get back to ECO and PAS with only one or two clicks. After that controller will require password for returning to Normal or Boost mode - this is useful if someone would try to check the power of your bike. :)

In order to get such firmware just send an email to techsupport@adaptto.com with the topic (password protected firmware).

When you are using the password protected firmware in ECO mode does the throttle still works? I want to block the throttle in ECO mode.

Hello,

To the Adaptto team: Is there any hope / plans that Adaptto will support a torque sensor like CA?

PAS mode is not only necessary for legal reasons, but it is also a great way to use the bike for a workout. Torque sensors provide a much more intuitive and pleasant experience in that mode than simple cadence sensors.

Adaptto has a great controller, it would be really nice if you could fill in that gap :)

ElectricDreams said:

Hello,

What I have also suggested in the topic you created for future updates:

It would be better if the password was only asked the first time when going to other modes than eco.
Reason is that I can see someone wanting to go from "boost" to "normal", would need to enter password this way.
And that would suck wile riding.

If I would need to be locked in "eco" again, I would just switch controller off and on, which is easy enough to do while being stopped by the police.

Regarding eco mode, as pointed out here before: in EU you can have a throttle, but it can only give assist up to 8kph.
So in eco mode, it would be great if we can set different speed limits for throttle and PAS.

Thanks,
Wannes

scrambler said:
Hello,

To the Adaptto team: Is there any hope / plans that Adaptto will support a torque sensor like CA?

PAS mode is not only necessary for legal reasons, but it is also a great way to use the bike for a workout. Torque sensors provide a much more intuitive and pleasant experience in that mode than simple cadence sensors.

Adaptto has a great controller, it would be really nice if you could fill in that gap :)

Hello,

Existing controllers have no more memory for adding new features, that is why the support of torque sensor will not be added.

Best regards,

Hello,

Existing controllers have no more memory for adding new features, that is why the support of torque sensor will not be added.

Best regards,

Will there be a new version with more memory and added features in the not-so-distant future?

Hello,
Best regards,

Thank you for the quick response, and I second the question below from wannesd (memory is cheap :) )

wannesd said:
Will there be a new version with more memory and added features in the not-so-distant future?

scrambler said:
Hello,
Best regards,

Thank you for the quick response, and I second the question below from wannesd (memory is cheap :) )

wannesd said:

Yes, we are planning to start producing new controllers during the oncoming year.

Best regards,

Back