EBIKE GRIN THUN sensor and CA v3

ebuild

100 µW
So recently I purchased a golden motors magic pie 5 with thun sensor. According to the installation video, I was able to wire what was required. Currently the issue is the human watts as well as rpm is not being displayed on the cycle analyst. The human watts are critical for cycle analyst to capture torue and apply PAS. I am currently stuck and require help to configure or get the human watts to display and work. Current reading shows 0 hwt. I was able to set up the cycle analyst parameters for hwt to 0xhwt. By doing this the bike detected there was 0 hwt and applied PAS. Now the question is how do I make it work for higher efforts applied by the user.
Thanks in advance for help

Did you set the parameters as described in the CA manual?

I use a thun sensor and it works good with the parameters set as described in the manual.

How do you wire the sensor to the CA?

It's a golden motors product, so I wired according to a YouTube video on installation of magic pie and Thun sensor. I supposed this is the method to connect but it does not display the human Watts or rpm

You didn't provide a link to the 'installation video' so no idea what it contains. Although canned settings will generally get the device working, it must be tuned for the particular bike to perform well - so...

• Please download the CA V3 Guide and refer to section "5.7 Pedal Assist".
    This explains how it works, gives default settings for the Thun unit, and has a section on 'Tuning Hints'.

Here is the link of installation I followed:
https://youtu.be/0vy7yOZsyuU

What is canned settings?
One thing it doesn't explain is how to hook it up and the way I hooked it up via YouTube video, I am not getting the output for hwt on the cycle analyst display.

Can you make a picture from the connection between ca and thun.

I can not see in the movie how they make thath.

You have to follow the manual from the previous post.

There is decribed how to coect the thun sensor.

And also important how to setup the CA

If you dont have the good settings you ddont see hwatts

There should have been a cable with two small white connectors at one end (Thun side) and one black connector at the other (CA3 side).

Thun1.jpg

I ordered a CA3 & Thun from GM Canada about 9 months ago, worked out of the box. I do have a programming cable and use it, and just recently put one (from Grin) on my wife's trike. She doesn't have a motor, just liked the Human Watts data.

I have got exactly that and have plugged in both those cables but I do not get any output on my CA v3. No rpm or hwt, is there an '.hex' file any of you can upload so I can download and see if the parameters work

All the default settings are in the Guide mentioned above. It also shows you the 'live data' Setup screens where you can see is the Thun is actually working or not. If those screens do not show actual live data, then either your Thun or the wiring are defective.

CaV3_PasLiveDataScreens.png

Here is a snap of the Setup Utility screen with the default settings - I just typed them in right out of the Guide, page 43...

BaselineThunSetup.png
This should work although you need to zero the torque in Setup (Trq->TrqOffst) and will need to tune the yellow settings for your particular bike and taste. I strongly recommend that you install a CA3-AUXP Aux Pot and configure it for 'PAS Limiting' so you can dial in the desired assist level as required (any linear 5K pot off eBay will work fine if you want to low-ball it).

I have attached a video I have recorded as I applied the changes and tested the bike sensor. Still no sign of human power or RPM.
https://youtu.be/eBCKI1LCWEw

Here is how I connected my wires:

1- I cut off the throttle wire "Green" from the throttle and connect it to Throttle IN on Cycle analyst for the first wire
2- Connect Throttle wire "Green" from the shunt to the second wire
3- Connect both Thun connectors

You must operate the cranks and examine the live data Setup screens to see if the signals are there. These screens are included for the express purpose of diagnosing this type of issue. Please read the Guide or the excerpt in the post above - here is the relevant part:

V3 Guide said:
Pressing a pedal with the rear wheel blocked will show a torque voltage while turning the crank will show the small 'P' (RPM) arrow going up/down as magnets pass the sensor head. Depending on the PAS sensor, the small 'D' (Dir) arrow may or may not change.
  • [EDIT: For the Thun sensor, the DIR signal should alternate as well (as indicated by the '2-wire sensor' setting) and torque is measured only on the left crank...]
As I said above, if you do not see live 'changing' data on these screens as described, then one or more of the torque, direction, or rpm signals are not being delivered to the CA which suggests that and either your Thun hookup or Thun device are defective. If so, you will need to go to your vendor for assistance.

The throttle connections have nothing to do with the torque sensor as far as calculating human Watts is concerned.

Here's the thing - you are looking at the hW display - but that is the output after all the harware and firmware have participated - saying that there is no reading is akin to saying 'my CA doesn't work' - not too helpful. You need to look at the available Setup preview screens to see if the hardware signals are actually reaching the CA. This localizes the problem at least to the extent of being inside or outside the CA and exactly identifies any missing signals.

Since the hW calculation is pretty much directly driven by the Thun inputs and is distinct from the 'Assist' calculation, questions of particular assist levels, etc do not enter into the equation nor do matters connected with any AuxPot PAS Level settings (since this is hW, not Assist). That said, it is imperative that you zero the torque offset or very wonky readings can arise.

Once you determine that the signals are present or one or more are missing, investigation can be directed to the sensor, wiring, an issue with the CA hardware, or the configuration.

Since you were looking for hex files as a quick fix and seeming not to quite get the extra screens, I might offer the following:

• Torque sensors are one of the most difficult V3 setups because of the large variation in bike weight, motor power, terrain, and personal taste (mostly this last one). Although the default settings will more or less work, you really need to read the Guide and try to understand what the available tuning parameters mean so you can get the most out of your installation. Expect to spend some time reading, testing, and fiddling with settings to get the feel you want. The V3 is not plug-n-play like a toaster - it needs some attention to give back the most...

Thank you for the assistance,
I have checked the continuity within the wire, investigated the wiring inside the CA and the only thing I am unable to troubleshoot is the THUN sensor.
I have read through the guide more than once and although it's true it varies in user preference. It is difficult unless you have experienced the Thun sensor work. In a case like this, this is my first Thun sensor I encountered, so I have no background knowledge on how it will function when it is installed.
I am simply not getting why the THUN sensor is not feeding information such as the RPM and human power to the CA.
Let along the fact you have to calibrate it, initially it should give a certain feedback in those fields first to be able to further calibrate it. Currently I am getting another THUN sensor with the courtesy of my vendor. So I will install the new sensor to isolate the main issue. If that still isn't working it would have to track to CA. This is just a theory based on troubleshooting I performed.

Apparently I have the 5V Throttle IN soldiered to potentiometer 5V. I am having doubts that it does not look right.

Another concern is the THUN sensor white wire is soldiered to 10V. The manual recommends to relocate the wire to potentiometer 5V.

Please let me know if it is advisable to relocate these wires

Teklektik already give the right answer.

You need to look at the available Setup preview screens (When you paddle the bike) to see if the hardware signals are actually reaching the CA.
And you have to put the bike on its wheels. With no resistance the sensor mesure no torque.

This is the only way to know if the thun works. My thun is connect to 10V this is good.

The human watts only display when everything is setup correct.

Problem solved. :lol:

It was simply the Thun Sensor as well as the wiring on the CA v3 PCB board that was soldered in the wrong spot. Once I re-soldered the 5V wire to the appropriate section and replaced the thun sensor it finally worked!

Back