Neox is reinventing e-bikes

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
... from the ground up. [Oh REALLY???]
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/neox-reinventing-ebikes-ground.html

sporter_rosso.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

With an integrated sequential gearbox, the first of its kind for e-bikes [Oh REALLY???], and a fully enclosed chain and drivetrain, plus a host of other features, Neox offers a fresh approach to electric bicycles.

Winner of a 2015 Eurobike award for e-bikes and pedelecs (electric assist bikes)[Oh REALLY!]

Of course, all of these features ad...rter price of €3490 (~$3924 USD) [Oh REALLY!]

[Really!]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/myneox/neox-born-electric

docw009 said:
There's a strut missing on the non-sprocket side. These styling exercises that make the bike harder to fabricate and less stronger make little sense to me.
Ya, but how 'bout that fully enclosed chain?

Dutch and English bikes have been fully enclosing the chain for more than a century without undermining the bike's structure in the process. These dorks not only removed structural pieces that are there for good reasons, but they used curved tubes (weaker, less stiff) in the front triangle. Gimmicky and questionable aesthetics are more important than function for them, I guess.

Single sided wheel mounting offers the advantage of servicing the tire and tube without removing the wheel, so at least there's an up side.

I've never liked one-armed forks, even when the data clearly shows the latest design is strong enough. There are even one-sided suspension forks which can take hard hits

But...on the rear of the frame, for a street bike? that's a good point Chalo. Maybe not horrible, however...I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Chalo said:
Dutch and English bikes have been fully enclosing the chain for more than a century without undermining the bike's structure in the process. These dorks not only removed structural pieces that are there for good reasons, but they used curved tubes (weaker, less stiff) in the front triangle. Gimmicky and questionable aesthetics are more important than function for them, I guess.

Single sided wheel mounting offers the advantage of servicing the tire and tube without removing the wheel, so at least there's an up side.

SS swingarms have some downsides too, chief among them chain adjustment. If you use an eccentric, you end up changing the rake since the rear of the bike moves up or down as the eccentric rotates. This was a constant headache in our race work with the Ducati 916/955/etc and with the RC45 in AMA Superbike. Every rear sprocket change required a complete chassis setup change to maintain the same geometry with the changing axle position, some tracks we had to choose between optimum gearing or optimum geometry. The Suzuki and Kawi Superbikes had normal horizontal sliding adjusters on twin beam swingarms as did the Supersport bikes and were a lot easier to manage.

docw009 said:
There's a strut missing on the non-sprocket side. These styling exercises that make the bike harder to fabricate and less stronger make little sense to me.

Makes it incredibly easy to change a flat. Surely that's a consideration for any bike that can't use quick release skewers, like an eBike?

Right now:
18 backers
€28,290 pledged of €120,000 goal
37 days to go

Sunder said:
docw009 said:

Makes it incredibly easy to change a flat. Surely that's a consideration for any bike that can't use quick release skewers, like an eBike?
But its mid drive, so the rear wheel could be a regular skewer hub.....
..but no, they made it a cantilever anyway, so every component is unique to that wheel and under unnecessary stress !! :roll:

So many moving parts to add losses and new failure modes, and a design that requires extra material to be as stiff/strong, or is much weaker for same mass of frame material used.

That said, I hope they make it a quality product and provide good ebike experiences that help the revolution.

Interesting design (8-speed?). It "looks like" the motor and pedals (both with integral freewheels) drive the lower shaft filled with gears that are fixed to the lower shaft and are constantly driven.

The gears on the upper shaft are constantly enmeshed and spinning, but each is not fixed to the output shaft that they freely spin on.

I "think" that alongside each freewheeling upper shaft gear is a friction disc that is fixed to the upper output shaft. There is a smaller parallel shaft (part #50) that: by stepped rotation, it can insert a small friction disc in-between one of the large shaft-fixed discs, and the gear that is spinning next to it, acting as clutches (parts 46b).

NeoxTransmission.png

NeoxTransmission2.png

Yep, definitely not keeping it plain and simple, but it has a nice retro European look.
Yet, I'm kind of bothered with the rear brake caliper mount. :|

Kickstarter not looking too healthy at this point...
19 backers
€28,291 pledged of €120,000 goal
35 days to go

MadRhino said:
Yet, I'm kind of bothered with the rear brake caliper mount. :|

That's the way to put it on the right (wrong?) side of the wheel. The pedicabs I build have the same arrangement for the left rear wheel. Otherwise, you have to get mirror image calipers, which are dumb.

Chalo said:
... Single sided wheel mounting offers the advantage of servicing the tire and tube without removing the wheel, so at least there's an up side.

Yep, there be a definite advantage. Easier to get the wheel off as well. Vespa has been building scooters like that for decades.

Back