What to do with 10s1p battery packs that dont balance charge

The Stig

100 kW
I bought these battery packs from ebikes.ca for travelling. They are small enough to take on an airplane - then they parallel stack to form a usable ebike pack. They have a BMS but apparently it only does LVC and HVC. I'm afraid that after some use they will eventually get unbalanced, and not last that many cycles.

Specs here: http://www.ebikes.ca/b362-5lim-r.html
Part number: B362.5LiM-R
Cells: Samsung 25R

I'm not much of a battery modification / DIY person.
Anyone have these or have any ideas of what to do with them?

Treat them like any naked pack, in terms of balancing. Do they have a jst plug you can monitor cell levels from? If so, you can discharge a high cell though that plug using a small 12v light bulb. Or plug in a balancing device, or charge up a single cell to full voltage.

But the basic approach starts with a use pattern that does not unbalance. Try to stop discharging well before the cells go over the cliff, and they will tend to stay balanced a lot better. So I mean,, don't ride till the lvc. Also,, go easy on them the last bit before you stop. You will know when this is,, sag under load increases from normal,, time to slow down and lower the discharge rate.

Riding like this can result in needing a balance only once in three months, or longer.

What's needing a balance? not when it's out of whack by .01v. More like .05 to .1v off. Just because you can measure it, does not mean it matters that much. For a maximum distance ride of course, you will need a perfect balance to start off. But you should buy more battery if you need that much every ride.

Thanks dan, unfortunately there are no jst plugs or balancing wires. My charger has a setting to charge them to 38 V or 41 V so I charge them a little as I can. I have run them down to LVC once. Otherwise I generally run them down to 35 - 37 V.

I have 4x of these 10s1p packs. They are parallel stacked and I'm guessing the max continuous the controller pulls is 30-35A. With bursts of 40 A.

I'm looking for a 12s battery to replace it with, but its hard to find one with a BMS.

Hmm,, I assumed Justin would have provided a balance plug with those,, just like a lipo pack has one. Well, break out the solder and add them. It can be a series of 5s plugs, so you can use things like a cellog 8 with them.

Didnt fully get how you cut your charge time in half.

Good news for me is ive never charged them to over 4.1 V. I usually keep them plugged into the charger set at 3.8 V and then set the charger to take them up to 4.1 V before I use them.
Bad mews for me may be that i use them at 3-4C.

That would be the reason,, if they won't stay balanced.

Back