Getting close to electrification. New build.

Robocog

100 W
2009-marin-mount-vision-5-6.jpgI will get pics soon, this is the bike, generally. Got the last frame new on ebay.

I went full internal on all wires, cables and brake lines. Very trick. 8 sp XTR rear derail, xtr ti cassette 11 - 30, Juicy ultimate brakes, 180,160, icetech, 36fox Talas RC2, DHX 5.0, 29er wheels, Schwalbe marathon pluses,32mm.

All up, 31 lbs. Which, when it is so stout, fork and shock, it is light.

HEre is some candy.
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/Gmanr1/P3220032.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/Gmanr1/P3220042.jpg
http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/Gmanr1/P3220040.jpg

The cables, wires and brake lines, will go under the battery case. then they go thru the frame. None showing when done.

The standover height was modified. The DHX 5.0 is an inch too long, so I run low air, and it is PLUSH. The shock has two Timken bearings, the 36 fox Talas allows a quick steering geo, and slow too. At the flick of a knob. The grips will be switched out, for purple silicone ones. The option is there, to go 26, 27.5 or 29er on second wheel set with knobs. The bike is ABSOLUTELY silent, no slaps, rubs or clangings. The frame is far more stout than usual. The suspension is FAR more active than usual, from many different aspects.

The motor and battery, will add fifeteen pounds, so, all up, ready to go, will be 31 for bike and wires and lights etc, just no motor or batt. So, 46.

I will try to reduce that to 43. The battery case, will be a pvc tube. It will intersect with the cable guides, and have a slot cut, so that it will enter the guides, then a slide sideways, entraps the case. Then, the bolts will thread into the water cage and one more added. No rattles, sleek and light. With weight low and forward.

HOW I HANDLED STUFFFFFFFFFF?

The internal everything was handled, by entering the frame, at the front, about halfway down. This is a LOW stress area, in STRICT tension. I made a hole, then, used a carbide burr, to slant the hole. the side that is still SHARPISH, was blunted as much as possible, then a small grommet, was split. It goes enough of the way around, to protect all but the slant the RIGHT direction. Looks keenish, works perfectly. Then, it goes straight back, and I punched slanted holes, at the back of the connector tube. This left the seatube pristine, and used the connector tube, which main function, other than as bolster, is bang stop for the suspension. This I used to create a lowered standover, with a small urethane bump, that is shaped like the striker. I STUPIDLY assumed, that like all mfgs, the tube would be opened. I was DEAD WRONG. Luckily, the place I entered, I could reach the tube to drill thru. I needed a long ass die drill. Then, I spent hours using every last bit of caveman logic, to thread BOTH competing cables/brakelines, thru the holes, all three, in a arc. Much like threading the camel thru the eye of a needle.

FREE AT LAST, free at last, THANK GOD ALMIGHTY, free at last. So, the lines were protected, and ushered the right way, for safety and utility. All but the enter into the swingarm. It is about a third of the way back, in the middle. Towards the bottom. Close enough to get a bolster from the corner, and far enough away to not warble and weaken. I epoxied a tube into the3 slant hole in swingarm. This tube I envisioned I would grind flush when fully hardened. And gain guidance internal. And so, the best laid plans GO AWRY. The tube started migrating, I almost lost it, but hemostats saved the day. So, the TUBE that is pure EPOXY, is PERFECT. The lines are SILENT, straight as the crow flies, and all internal, to the eye. The exit out the swingarm, is simply the hole they put in enlarged.

What to do if you must remove swingarm? Simply leave hanging, or, thread the end thru the swingarm, and then rethread when thru, or, split, and have a connector. Since it is all in tension, it would not have to be very stout. Then your INTERNAL installations, would be PERMANENT. All electrical lines have bullets at all entrancesish.

The light for rear, is so small, four LEDS, VERY effective, fits BEHIND the seatrails, inbetween shining. VERY TRICK. The wires, go down seatpost, and stay internal. The headlights, will be exotic wood pods, that are at end of handlebar. they will be funky SHCWAY form, pointing forwards, to compensate for the bends etc. Then, you can just rotate them, and lock, to adjust. these are EAGLE EYE LEDS. They are like projector beams, and are 9 watts each. The wires, I will THREAD under the grips. which will join with the others, and go internal.

I found a sleek, EBAY thingie, that has lights, and turn signals, and a kill button. Then, a sleek bell, and ground them, so they INTERSECTED,

The kill switch, will be used, to KILL motor power, during shifts while using PAS. Simple, and foolproof. I will also GANG, a microswitch, that is attached to the brake master cylinders.

So, I will have EFFECTIVE, VERY lightweight lighting permanently. Turn signals that are AMBER panel alarm LEDS that blink.

The fenders, are the SUPER LIGHTWEIGHT ones from china. FAR too flimsy to use, but dead sexy in shape. I bolstered them internally, with glass cloth, that I superglued to fender. Then, I attach the fender to the bridge of fork. Real close like. Looks TOUGH.

The rear one, I will create some attachment to the swingarm. It too will be REAL close to tire.

I have a MTX bag, that I will use with a rear rack, that it slides and locks into.

Pictures Pictures Pictures
Need more Pictures

Just messin wiff yee
I'm lazy and dont like to read, prefer to see images ;)

How about a BRAG. The punk kid working at the bike shop rode my bike around the parking lot. He said, AND I QUOTE, this is easily the best bike I have EVER been on.

Now sure, he is a bit wet behind the ears. BUT, it is STOUT, A FRICKIN Transformer. Not too heavy, and PLUSH.

Its his first ebike ride, now he has got the ebike grin :mrgreen:

I was kind of the same way, I rode my first ever ebike from a local bike shop, which the speed was limited to 30kph, but I liked it. It wasnt until a year later that I bought all the bits needed. 2nd ride was a wimpy 300W geared motor on a used ebike with dead lead acid batteries I picked up for $200(cad) basically I wanted the frame for my 3000W mxus. I burnt the brushes out on the 300W and installed the mxus, lyen, rc lipo's.

Seeing this makes me realize that I had not rode an ebike before mine. Never even saw one in person.
Then I went all out and got myself a 3000w mid-drive kit. LOL
I never had the chance to experience a sub 1000w ebike. Guess I knew what I wanted and went straight for the throat! :p

Looking forward to seeing yours completed. Still in the process on my own, and it may still be a while yet till I 100% the build the way I want her.

I have an admission to make. I HAVE NEVER been on an EBIKE. I am building one. I have a roadracing R1, I have an Eskateboard.
I now have a mountainbike.

I KNOW I will love the help. Perhaps I should have tried one first, but I cant imagine hating it.

Robocog said:
I have an admission to make. I HAVE NEVER been on an EBIKE. I am building one. I have a roadracing R1, I have an Eskateboard.
I now have a mountainbike.

I KNOW I will love the help. Perhaps I should have tried one first, but I cant imagine hating it.

you've never been on an ebike? arent you building a middrive ebike for someone currently?

I have heart failure, a 17 Ejection fraction and an implanted defibrillator. I am building the bike to among other things, keep me alive.

I have a roadracing r1, but with protective gear, and parking, not having any income of any kind for years on end, leaves NO way to go anywhere but what YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST.

My Miata is sitting with FRESH rebuild, for DIME ONE. I cannot afford to drive a car, so I SHOP, for three, on motorcycle. I have sometimes twenty bags on me. In a saddlebag config.

NOW I will b e able to do the EURO thingie, and shop at the farmers market for the evenings grub. ETCETCETC.

Alls I need now is about 750.00. I am likely going on GOFUNDME, and issuing an urgent plea for funds. This is no joke.

My plea is true and my needs are small.

jUST SOLD MY FLAT SLIDE RACING CARBS, halfway to there. Likely to sell my magnesium racing wheels today. Then, I am mobile.
I still intend to GOFUNDME.

Here is the letter I sent to Luna Bikes.

I don't see why not share it. I am an advocate for HEART problem THERAPY bikes. My heart defib implant folks, thought I was a GENIUS.

They said there is NOTHING better to stay alurve, than low grade exercise over an extended period. I want to lobby for INSURANCE reimbursement.

I had a crazy thought. You allow a blanket 10% discount, to the elderly, and the disabled. You would be the first. You would CERTAINLY be featured ALL OVER THE PLACE.
It would open the market to those that wouldn’t be as inclined to dive in. They would hear the message. You would talk up the efficacy of using it for THERAPY. You would entice a cardiologist or such, to bolster your claims. It would be a BOON for you. If of course, you could eat 10% on customers that you are flooded, hopefully with.

I am serious as a heart attack, that those with heart ailments, have a helping hand, to exercise with. A button to make it easier, or harder. This SPORT, is not JUST for kids. Then, gramps will put one on his trike.

Just a thought. But, you are positioned to DOMINATE the market. Like HUGE. Adding a NEW segment, that is ONLY yours, as you beat them all to the customer.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe FRANCHISE repair stations, and install stations. There are LOTS of kids that would jump to be part of that network. WARRANTY work that REALLY exists. It would make the market EXPLODE. And, a line aimed at the elderly and disabled would also be cool. Maybe work with those that need CUSTOM controls etc.

I don’t mean to be a bother, but you all could be filthy rich. And, CUT CHINA out of the loop, eventually.

This is intended for Gary, or anyone there with a philanthopic instinct, and a taste for expansion.

Again, I am a moldmaker, process engineer and product designer, jig and fixture, toolmaker. cad/cam programmer operator. And long time electrical fan, in rc. And, I have a skateboard, that allows me, a heart failure loser, TO RUN my dogs. RUN. Can you imagine? And now, I will be able to MOUNTAINBIKE. I hope you can appreciate the gravity of that.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see an INSURANCE allowance, for a THERAPY bike. As it makes getting off the couch, not a potential death sentence.

Ignore all this if it is of no interest, or, if you want my ideas of how to grow your company like a weed, or, EVEN if you have design problems, process problems, adding to your product line, figure out trick solutions to your sticky wickets, I am like I said, as PROFESSIONAL as you could get, I will give you some time, consideration as you do me.

I am capable of thinking like I ever was, just not able to exert.

I am a great fan of electric power, and would donate my time, to further a relationship with you.

I could EVEN write your code, and send, if you were to get that CNC you talk about. Or, give you MY advice of how to expand, as AGAIN, I am a process engineer. I am localish, and am a helpful fellow.

Just think about it.

Pipe dreams are just that, dreams.
In reality we must use our Frontal Lobes and use Sane Rational Thinking.
I'd like to know how you prove one is disabled or a senior for the discount?
Repairs stations all across merica, sounds good, would be called LBS wouldnt it?

The Luna guy is a cool dude, no doubt about that. Doing good in the ebike community, selling good quality products and service. I feel bad for stereotyping him a little ways back, thats just human nature. I was trying to be light hearted and funny. I wouldnt hesitate to buy from him.

This country would be a HELL of a lot better off if we all thought like ME. In MY world, there is a two wide bike lane for all your short trips. All have small cars, and there are NON profit GOV ran truck rentals. And family vaca cars.

Trucks would run at NIGHT. Trains would have loaders, to ferry MANY cars to large hubs. So, you listen to your tunes, surf the web or do work, as you DRIVE to the office.

The TRUMP dark ages are upon us. Coal Roliing BABY.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coal+rolling&&view=detail&mid=A2271D8CDF0AB209253EA2271D8CDF0AB209253E&FORM=VRDGAR

In particular, I enjoyed the Coal rolling the RECUMBANT. WAr crime, get your war crime.

EXTRA credit, to those that realize WHY the coal rollers are protesting. It is about the REAL BRAINS, and MACHISMO. Freeze on the protest sign.

Robocog said:
This country would be a HELL of a lot better off if we all thought like ME. In MY world, there is a two wide bike lane for all your short trips. All have small cars, and there are NON profit GOV ran truck rentals. And family vaca cars.
Trucks would run at NIGHT.

Your world would actually be quite miserable I think. Everyone would starve because the tax rate would have to be so high to pay for your unwanted and miss-managed government programs that people would have no incentive to work.

Governments trying to provide stuff are bankrupting most of the countries of the world. Venezuela, Brazil, Greece, USA. Why don't you let the people decide if they want a truck rental or battery swap or a bike path instead of having a bureaucracy force it on everyone.

YOUR small car. THEIR rental truck, and vaca car.

YOUR small car SHOULD be a small SPORTY electric. I WANT ONE NOW. I have a hopped up Miata. An/d would RATHER have a TESLAish MIATaish
hot rod.

And, WHILE I am dreaming, the BATTS, are quick swap. You go to GOV non profit center, and always have access to a fresh swap. Everyone pitches, for good, charged batts. Several levels to choose. So small slow to fast long range.

EMERGENCY charger at home, to get you to the BATT place.

BATT centers, function as GRID capacity extenders. Utilizing night charge.

Tell me how you would suffer a tyrannical loss of constitutional rights. I WANT MY HOT ROD now. They promised me a jet pack dammit.

At least give me a Tesla sport.

Although I did get this keen titanium ring installed in my heart valve. That is kinda newagey. Course, the sold it that everyone would benefit from scientific progress. SADLY, it has ONLY allowed some folks to bleed other folks. Aint got the scratch, no progress for YOU.

That is why progress alone, is WORTHLESS. For my life to be saved, at the LAST MINUTE, was ENTIRELY up to OBAMA, spending BIGLY, his political capital, to ram Obamacare, which, as an integral part, allowed me to for the first time qualify, for medicaide. WITHIN days of DEATH.

Well,
I picked up my motor and such. It was not correct, so I am going back, to have it fixed. They are doing me right, by including a GOOD display, as the lower end one was damaged in several ways. I will have a essentially new motor etc. I will have enough batts, for two quick change batt housings.

I will create the auxiliary pack to either clamp to bike, or backpack, to make it long range capable, even if the pilot is less so.

I have decided to run a BLINKY for balance. This is advantageous, as it is knocking down high cells. Actively. Overnight. Even as it charges. I can short charge etc.

I will have two balance connectors. 6s each. As I am starting with new cells, It will be easy to keep balanced. I will not require the LONG balance charge cycle.

I just wish I could remove substantial weight from motor. I may peruse the motor cases, to lathe some off. But, that will be totally up to the casings. I may tape off the fins, and sand blast.

I have warned Luna, that I am an EBIKE proponent, that I will be large and in charge, lobbying for heart therapy bikes, and subsidy for same. That if they know what is good for them, they will adopt me in some fashion, as I will be BANK. Someway, somehow.

I am a moldmaker, process eng etc. The man I trained under, in an academic setting, was T"HE man that LOBBIED CONGRESS TO FUND machining TRAINING, FOR national security.
I INTEND TO DO THE SAME, FOR heart PATIENTS.

anyone THAT EASILY DISMISSES ME, learns that is a fools errand.

I will attempt to retain my ROBOCOG monicker, soes you joes can recognize me then.

gOT THE MOTOR AND ETC STUFFED IN. It is the CLEANEST install I have yet seen. Time to build the batt. That is the last task. Got my nickel strip. Got a microwelder/spot.

Got my pvc tube. I went with 3inch. It all fits. Covers wiring. The bike is superlight, for an ebike. I will have quick fit 14ah. With a parallel 7 to add for long trips.

I have a seatpost rack, and mtx bag. Aux batt will fit up on seatpost, or frame area of seatpost. Only real showing wires, are at front. Left throttle, right display adjust.

Handlebar is very unbusy.

You're right, crappy picture. Looks like a cool bike, would love to see a better pic.

The pvc tube is fitted. It needs the screws and one cage nut added. I think I will make it permanent for now. With a charger jack.

I soldered the cells, after honing the process to half a second. and Mash, then mouth blow. So, no real heat at all. 40 watt did fine.

I will add parallel wires, install the packs with hot glue, and add separators. Add weatherstrip to conceal gap.

Still have to paint the quick change pvc. Wire the head/taillights. Build the aux batt pack. w

Go ride.

I will have semi finished pics in a few days.

I used neodymium mags to retain the tigr mini on frame. But, they are too weak, so I must add a flex link on top, to keep it stable. But, it fits a treat. Wouldn't fit with included holder.

All in all, it has turned out as good as my imagination.

After I get carbon wheels, and a few more lightening tricks, it will weigh 43 lbs. All weight is very central. And low. I didn't add brake cutoffs, as a back pedal of almost nothing will cut power. I will use red button, to cut MOTOR power, when shifting. I will soon add turn indicators, I will use red/blue flash, to look coppish.

I will add the fenders I designed.

Whelp, I learned that a custom batt pack, not conducive to PARALLEL blocks, is unable to be BMSed. BUT, if there is a problem in the parallel string, all can be destroyed.

SO, I will monitor every so often. to ensure all cells are equal. And, I will develop the means to single cell charge. And, if any get weak, I will just replace.

I intend on using a 30a circuit breaker, manual reset. I will get a LUNA charger, and use the 80 and 90 % charge settings. And, charge short of bare cutoff.

Back