AVIAN featherweight mid drive

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
SlowCo
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 584
Joined: Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by SlowCo » Nov 16, 2017 7:27 am

:shock: Wow. Fantastic workmanship!
Now waiting for a ride review and video 8)

Mongo1
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Oct 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Mongo1 » Nov 16, 2017 1:02 pm

One of the best looking battery holders!!!

User avatar
Ecyclist
100 W
100 W
Posts: 242
Joined: Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Ecyclist » Nov 19, 2017 9:43 pm

SlowCo wrote:
Nov 16, 2017 7:27 am
:shock: Wow. Fantastic workmanship!
Now waiting for a ride review and video 8)
Not so fast eager beaver. I still need to wire a BMS, a fuse and a power switch. :D

SlowCo
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 584
Joined: Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by SlowCo » Nov 20, 2017 9:21 am

Ecyclist wrote:
Nov 19, 2017 9:43 pm
SlowCo wrote:
Nov 16, 2017 7:27 am
:shock: Wow. Fantastic workmanship!
Now waiting for a ride review and video 8)
Not so fast eager beaver. I still need to wire a BMS, a fuse and a power switch. :D
Please hurry... :wink: :mrgreen:

User avatar
Ecyclist
100 W
100 W
Posts: 242
Joined: Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Ecyclist » Nov 23, 2017 1:04 am

Time to do some real riding.
Going for the hills.JPG
Going for the hills.JPG (112.61 KiB) Viewed 283 times

User avatar
Ecyclist
100 W
100 W
Posts: 242
Joined: Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Ecyclist » Nov 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I took the bike on a single track around Lake Miramar. I was very happy with everything, but had one little problem. Under heavy load, I was getting a hick-up. It was hard to tell what was going on, but once I put the bike on the hydraulic trainer and applied the rear brake, I realized that under heavy load my motor chain tensioner was going a little out of alignment, and the chain was not perfectly in line with the chainring. Under normal circumstances, this wouldn't be a problem, but I had very little space between the chainring and tensioner, which it turned out that this was not good.
I decided to reverse the tensioner and the problem is gone.
At this point, the total weight of the bike, including the battery, is 46 lb. My goal was to be under 50 lb. so I'm happy with that.
I will play with the bike for now, and install a bigger motor later. It is actually amazing how well this little motor is running.
Avian with reversed chain tensioner.JPG
Avian with reversed chain tensioner.JPG (152.24 KiB) Viewed 241 times

SlowCo
10 kW
10 kW
Posts: 584
Joined: Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by SlowCo » Nov 29, 2017 5:01 am

Gorgeous! 8)
Eagerly waiting for a ride video... :mrgreen:

User avatar
Ecyclist
100 W
100 W
Posts: 242
Joined: Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Ecyclist » Dec 03, 2017 4:51 pm

All aluminum parts for the battery case and the controller case are at anodizing process.
I switched my focus to the battery system. I'm going to install a 16A BMS just for charging and two battery testers for monitoring battery voltage. This way I will be able to keep track of battery group health individually. VESC will control low voltage of the pack. With VESC you can program both soft and hard battery cut-off voltage.

User avatar
Ecyclist
100 W
100 W
Posts: 242
Joined: Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Ecyclist » Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am

Parts are back from anodizing and the battery pack is back together. I installed the anti spark connector and two battery testers. Unfortunately, the cheap BMS was not working as it should, so I ordered a new one, and I will plug it in once it comes.
I still need to install the meter switch and total voltage meter. This is going to be my fuel gauge.
The pack with testers..JPG
The pack with testers..JPG (149.08 KiB) Viewed 84 times

Mongo1
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Oct 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Mongo1 » Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Ecyclist wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am
Parts are back from anodizing and the battery pack is back together. I installed the anti spark connector and two battery testers. Unfortunately, the cheap BMS was not working as it should, so I ordered a new one, and I will plug it in once it comes.
I still need to install the meter switch and total voltage meter. This is going to be my fuel gauge.
The pack with testers..JPG
Just an FYI, I went through a similar process in monitoring/controlling power but ended up simply installing a Cycle Analyst (CA3) to do it all and more (I.e.: adding Pedal Assist mode).

User avatar
Ecyclist
100 W
100 W
Posts: 242
Joined: Apr 01, 2016 10:53 pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Ecyclist » Dec 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Mongo1 wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm
Ecyclist wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am
Parts are back from anodizing and the battery pack is back together. I installed the anti spark connector and two battery testers. Unfortunately, the cheap BMS was not working as it should, so I ordered a new one, and I will plug it in once it comes.
I still need to install the meter switch and total voltage meter. This is going to be my fuel gauge.
The pack with testers..JPG
Just an FYI, I went through a similar process in monitoring/controlling power but ended up simply installing a Cycle Analyst (CA3) to do it all and more (I.e.: adding Pedal Assist mode).
Thanks for the tip.
I have CA3 on my first build and I like it for smoothing out power delivery, but that's about it.
I can use VESC for that and everything else I need (probably not Pedal Assist mode, but then again, maybe someone already figured that out).
I like to have battery meter and testers, so that I can monitor battery charging process indoors and away from the bike.
I don't trust BMS, and with testers I have full control over what is going on with the battery. You can call me a control freak. :D
Are you sure that you can monitor individual battery groups with CA3?
I probably should revisit CA as a possible option. Last time I looked into it was about a year ago.

Mongo1
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 22
Joined: Oct 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: AVIAN featherweight mid drive

Post by Mongo1 » Dec 13, 2017 10:17 am

Ecyclist wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 6:44 pm
Mongo1 wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 12:21 pm
Ecyclist wrote:
Dec 12, 2017 10:48 am
Parts are back from anodizing and the battery pack is back together. I installed the anti spark connector and two battery testers. Unfortunately, the cheap BMS was not working as it should, so I ordered a new one, and I will plug it in once it comes.
I still need to install the meter switch and total voltage meter. This is going to be my fuel gauge.
The pack with testers..JPG
Just an FYI, I went through a similar process in monitoring/controlling power but ended up simply installing a Cycle Analyst (CA3) to do it all and more (I.e.: adding Pedal Assist mode).
Thanks for the tip.
I have CA3 on my first build and I like it for smoothing out power delivery, but that's about it.
I can use VESC for that and everything else I need (probably not Pedal Assist mode, but then again, maybe someone already figured that out).
I like to have battery meter and testers, so that I can monitor battery charging process indoors and away from the bike.
I don't trust BMS, and with testers I have full control over what is going on with the battery. You can call me a control freak. :D
Are you sure that you can monitor individual battery groups with CA3?
I probably should revisit CA as a possible option. Last time I looked into it was about a year ago.

Sorry, no provision to monitor separate battery groups (only different/switchable battery packs, I.e.: 36V, 48V, etc.)

Post Reply