SHTF Ebike Survival

lcyclist

10 W
Ok, the title may be a bit dramatic, but what do you guys carry with you when out riding?

My SHTF may be breaking a rear suspension and out 30 miles in the deep woods.
I am talking about tools, spares and items you would need to get home.

So when I go out in the woods with my e-bike, I carry basic tools and supplies:

chain breaker and extra links (good quality, not the walmart crap)
extra chain links
adjustable wrench
bike specific wrench/tool set
tire levers
extra tubes, maybe a folding tire if I slice a tire on a sharp rock
pump
10mm Glock for bears and dangerous animals
water (+ filter)

So, what else am I forgetting?

Almost forgot, yet basic first aid kit.

10mm Glock...for 2-legged wolves?

Make sure it is hidden, and only bring it to bear when your life is in danger. My preference is for a .357 revolver, which nobody will ever see, unless you pull a knife on me.

It's funny, people in a disaster zone will fight over the last generator at the local Home Depot, but...if there is no gas available, you can only siphon so much out of your car.

spinningmagnets said:

Make sure it is hidden, and only bring it to bear when your life is in danger. My preference is for a .357 revolver, which nobody will ever see, unless you pull a knife on me.

I carry openly; it is legal in Arizona. And yes, I have concealed carry permit.
In the woods, I can't be fumbling for my weapon when stumbling on a mama bear. Rare, I know.

A solar powered phone charger might come in handy in case everything else breaks. Plus I would have hollow points for the 10,

A noise maker....that's what you're missing, and I get that you pack heat, I'm talking a pre emptive noise maker. I ride in bear country, also moose and mountain lion, a lot (just yesterday) and after hearing about the most recent grizzly attack in the exact part of the Gravelly Range I want to ride http://bozemanmagazine.com/news/1/posts/2017/09/05/2704_archery_hunter_attacked_by_grizzly_in_gravelly?mobile_redirect=false (might be too late this year, snow.....) I just upgraded my noise maker. Both my trail rides have had "bear bells", smaller tinklers that can velcro on your belt loops or the handle bars, they work on hikers also, unless they have their earbuds in. They also have another velcro thing that keeps it quiet. BUT, for some of the places and at this time of year (pre-hibernation....) I decided to upgrade a bit and just got a small cowbell, yesterday was my first ride with it. Not objectionably loud or annoying, but better then the little bell, which I still use.

Plus I also just got a mini version of the canned marine air horns, just as loud but only a couple inches dia., small enough to fit in my coat pocket or frame bag. Unlike bear spray wind won't matter, or aim. Noise makers have a good history of moving bears away from you, and they can be handy in a rescue situation also, like after you get attacked by a bear, ha ha. I don't want the weight of a gun, but the noise they make could be helpful for sure. I leave mine at home in the bedstand (no kids around), not sure of my aim in a panic situation also. Search youtube for bikes/bears, no one had a noise maker, you HAVE TO make a bit of noise and odds are they will get out of your way, unless they are hard of hearing or real hungry and then you're just screwed!

I always get a little antsy when further away then I can reasonably hike back, so early as possible in the morning is when I make my big rides. If I can't fix what's broke I'll stuff it in the bush and geo cache it and start walking and come back with my ATV. Never had to do that yet though. I check my chain and keep it lubed, plus carry chain tools and links, multipurpose type tool, a roll of electrical tape, spare thumb throttle, my plane's sat based personal locator beacon, 2 or 3 BIC lighters, a bit of aircraft stainless safety wire, spare tube and patch kit, pump, a Life Sttaw water filter PLUS a large ziploc bag for it so you don't have to lean into a creek, and that's about it. Almost, I also never leave home without a couple index cards and a pen or two, for leaving a note for rescuers or would be thief's. "Hey Rocky (or some other bad ass sounding name) , I'm out sighting in the rifle, when you and the other guys get here with the whiskey, we'll see who's the better shot, a former Seal or a former Green Beret!" A variation of this note I leave on my plane when tied down in a remote area, and so far so good. With the plane, I'm concerned about someone THINKING I need rescuing, and I want to dissuade them calling the authorities, while also keeping any bad thoughts out of their head, same with if I ever have to leave my ebike in view somewhere. Most times I just be honest, leave a note like "All is well, out mountain biking, back soon", with that days date on it.

wineboyrider said:
A solar powered phone charger might come in handy in case everything else breaks. Plus I would have hollow points for the 10,

Yes! Charger for cell phone! I use a 2-6s balancer with a usb charger for this.

Hollow points are not advisable for bears; you need something that penetrates their thick hide...I use underwood extreme penetrator.

Notice nobuddy has mentioned a mirror yet? Yah can carry a small metal/plastic silvered mirror to use as a signaling device. Fer when you "absolutely need assistance" like eg you have a broken leg? W/a small packet of aluminum foil you can also play w/solar concentrators to do stuff like light a fire. :wink:

craneplaneguy said:
A noise maker....that's what you're missing, and I get that you pack heat, I'm talking a pre emptive noise maker. .
Great idea on the noise maker/bell and notepads/pens.

I am also thinking of a battery powered soldering iron/solder for quick repairs. Last time I crashed, I ripped a wire off.
Would be nice for field repair if not too bulky.

LockH said:
Notice nobuddy has mentioned a mirror yet? Yah can carry a small metal/plastic silvered mirror to use as a signaling device. Fer when you "absolutely need assistance" like eg you have a broken leg? W/a small packet of aluminum foil you can also play w/solar concentrators to do stuff like light a fire. :wink:

Ah yes, a signalling mirror/device. Good point. I EDC carry a bic lighter already for fire making. I am thinking the lipo can start a fire as well.

A broken leg/arm is a SHTF indeed.

^^ Hehe... ESB "Search found 35 matches: +solar +concentrator"", but maybe see also Fire Starter Parabolic Solar Mirror:
71uJfVEAaGL._SX466_.jpg

:wink:

He does have a noisemaker. The 10mm Glock. Don't shoot a bear with it, you'll really piss him off. :)

A friend of mine likes to hike in bear country. The rangers all carry and suggest 12 gauges with slugs. He got tired of that and got a 454 Casull instead. Not as good, but he hopes it is enough. Only time will tell.

Alan B said:
He does have a noisemaker. The 10mm Glock. Don't shoot a bear with it, you'll really piss him off. :)

A friend of mine likes to hike in bear country. The rangers all carry and suggest 12 gauges with slugs. He got tired of that and got a 454 Casull instead. Not as good, but he hopes it is enough. Only time will tell.

Lol! My noise maker is better than none at all. A 9mm and the right ammo and training can take down a griz:
https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/8/10/alaska-outfitter-defends-fishermen-from-raging-grizzly-with-9mm-pistol/

I agree a 12 gauge is better under pressure vs handgun (gross motor skill vs fine motor skill under pressure). I am not sure I can put an accurate follow up shots
with 454's recoil.

Standard commute pack:

Park Tool Rescue Tool MTB 7 - I haven't had a problem with a bike that I have not been able to cobble together with this to get home. Rather than just a multi tool, someone put a lot of thought into the typical tools and sizes for a bike. It is lacking a chain breaker.
Two spare tubes and a patch kit - I've never needed all of these, but stuff walking for the sake of a flat tyre
Pump and shock pump - none of that CO2 canister jazz. Just a Topeak pump and a shock pump for adjusting air suspension
'quick links' - to join a chain back together without needed a snap off link.
Chain breaker - to tidy up and rejoin chain
Presta/Schrader adapter - makes cheating at petrol stations easier with presta valves
Roll of electrical tape, bunch of cable ties (zip ties) and a couple of plastic supermarket bags - great for bodging things back together, impromptu waterproofing
cell phone, credit card and myki (public transport pass). Commute is usually by ebike and I can charge the phone off my bike.

Most of this is overkill, I've found being more disciplined about bike maintenance and more frequently lubricating/replacing disposable parts dramatically decreased the on route breakdowns. This also included switching to heavier duty tyres (Schwalbe Marathon MTB tires), I cant remember the last puncture I had.

If I'm really going far out, its usually not on an ebike. The gear above expands to:

- pliers multitool. Includes a knife, saw, pliers and more tools to cobble things back together.
- folding tyre to replace sidewall damage
- aluminum survival blanket
- emergency whistle
- spare spokes inside the handlebars (take off grip, insert). Park tool has a spoke key (pretty average but definitely enough to limp home with)
- water capacity either via bidon cages, additional bidon cages and/or hydropack
- snacks - usually muesli/protein bars and bananas
- super compressed wet weather gear/ balaclava. Folds up into its own pouches.

It seems like a lot, but most of this crams into frame bags and remains untouched until I need it for the next monster ride.

I didn't actually have a means of making fire or a stand alone means of charging my cellphone - considering adding a small amount of waterproof matches and either a solar or mechanical charger for the cellphone. Some sort of friction drive charger for the cell phone would be awesome... Solar is great - unless you need it at night and its flat. It's pretty rare for me to head out that far these days, just don't really spare the time to do it.

I never ride far enough in the wild, to feel the need for any special equipment other than my regular tool kit.

When I go far in the wild, I am not on a bike. I am on foot, or canoe. Then I carry a complete survival equipment. No gun, I prefer a longbow. No phone, for there is no signal anyway. No noise, I am the silent type. Everything needed to sleep warm and dry. Topo map and compass. Fishing net. First aid kit. Everything but the bow, holding in one floating back pack.

I feel comfortable in the wild. I leave for 5 to 10 days alone once a year, more often when I was younger. No dangerous animals here. I mean, none that I consider dangerous. Bears are not a problem in the east, black bears are cowards. Yet in the rockies, I never felt endangered when I met some big bears. Maybe the reason why they didn't bother me. If they did, I believe I could probably calm down the situation and avoid having to kill one. Bears are not stupid, if you are not.

I always felt the wild is far less dangerous than the cities. Of course, you need to be prepared to survive, but there are very few dangerous situations to expect.

More info in some of the other tool/carry/etc on bike threads; not everything in them is relevant but I'm sure there's info you can use in them:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58964&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89325&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66953&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58811&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26101&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16239&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8631&hilit=tool*

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4572&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20893&hilit=tool*
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69284&hilit=tool*

No glock, but there was a time I carried num chuks for use against hippie stomping cowboys. Very effective against chain or guys with baseball bats.

When I commuted by e bike, I carried the rest of your list.

For an e bike, some spare wire, and household wire nuts are a good thing to add to the list. Also I carried a couple trash bags, one for me, one for the part of the bike good to keep dryer in a surprise thunderstorm.

I'm finding I am raiding my planes emergency kit for the longer bike rides, which is fine, as long as I remember to put it back in the plane! I second the black plastic garbage bag suggestion, I carry them in the plane for sure, not yet the bike but good idea. My plane's kit is probably, for sure, more then I want to pack on the bike, but I usually remember to grab the PLB, and put it back in the plane when done riding. It and a credit card are my big backup plan, and I hope I never need to find out if it works.

dogman dan said:
No glock, but there was a time I carried num chuks for use against hippie stomping cowboys. Very effective against chain or guys with baseball bats.

When I commuted by e bike, I carried the rest of your list.

For an e bike, some spare wire, and household wire nuts are a good thing to add to the list. Also I carried a couple trash bags, one for me, one for the part of the bike good to keep dryer in a surprise thunderstorm.

Wow, nun chucks against a chain is impressive! I am versed in Arnis (Filipino martial arts) but I will think twice with a guy with a chain, especially if the guy knows how
to use it.

spinningmagnets said:

It's funny, people in a disaster zone will fight over the last generator at the local Home Depot, but...if there is no gas available, you can only siphon so much out of your car.

Mod it to run on woodgas then build a woodgas generator out of a 50gal drum and some scrap metal!

Back