Newbie with an ebike

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
VWhite
1 mW
1 mW

Re: Newbie with an ebike

Post by VWhite » Nov 13, 2017 6:29 pm

Well over the weekend I broke down both batteries(13s5p) and put them both together into an 13s10p pack and was able to get everything into the triangle case I made but they barely fit. Pretty happy with my results.

My commute to work one way is 4.7 miles and I usually go pretty much full blast on the throttle. Usually about 60% of the way there (and over the only two hills in this commute; bridge over a bayou and bridge over railroad tracks, very steep) I'd notice on my display I get to 3/4 of battery and stay there until I reached work then returning to home I'd be at half. Well since I did the battery over the weekend (charged to full on Friday then broke them down and put them together, finished on Sunday no recharge) rode about a mile or so Sunday just to test, rode to work this morning 6.3 miles at work and had all 4 bars. Right at 8 miles on the return this afternoon dropped down to 3/4, needed to go to Wal-Mart and return home at 13.6 miles and dropped down to 1/2 way mark in my driveway but had considerable stop and go on the second half of my journey today and as always pretty much all full throttle. Reads 49.3v right now. Going to leave it off the charger tonight to try and see what my real range is for a good charge.

I'm by no means at all a knowledgeable bicyclist and over the weekend I changed out new v brakes (complete; cables, arms, pads, everything) and switched over to finger shifters from grip shifters (handlebars were crowded with twist throttle and grip shifters). Went pretty smoothly as I've already adjusted everything before i converted to electric when i got it out of storage.
But since combining the batteries it doesn't seem quite the same. Feels like it takes a little longer to get up to good speed (I always pedal and can feel when the motor overpowers me pedaling at about 17mph). Should this be expected? I know I added more weight but in the grand scheme of things (this was a pretty heavy bike after the conversion and I'm 185 lbs) I didn't think it would have been as noticeable.
Going to double check everything tonight and make sure nothing is dragging, it really doesn't feel like mechanical drag. Also trying to figure out some more about tire inflation, this whole time I've been riding at around 35 psi and have felt like every other day the tires feel a little flat and top them off to 35 but today before the store I did that and noticed the tire says 60-90 psi on the tire that came on my electric hub rim kit. Felt better at 40 but don't know how far to go with these slime filled tubes. Any advice on solid tires with heavy ebikes?

VWhite
1 mW
1 mW

Re: Newbie with an ebike

Post by VWhite » Dec 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Guess I blew my controller up. Bike acted all weird the other day, display claimed it went from 48v to 14v all of the sudden and wouldn't run. Switched it off and back on, worked fine but kept randomly doing this throughout the day and especially under full throttle. Took everything apart and checked the battery as I assumed some solder had come loose from when I built the battery but everything was still strongly intact. The only thing i noticed was it appeared to have a spot on one cell that looked like it had rubbed against something and was bare. Beefed up the wrapping on the battery and decided to look inside the controller. Nothing looked burned up in there but was difficult to get back together as there are some screws that went from the outside of the controller to some threaded washers on the back side of the fets but no way to keep them where they needed to be when putting it back together so I just hot glued them to keep them in place and put the screws back in. Recharged the battery and hooked everything up, went to test and no good.
Feel the motor bump but doesn't go around and my display says error info 06 and sometimes 01. Trying to figure it out and took the controller apart again found a little burn spot on one of these washers.

Trying to find a new controller or advice. kt48zwsrlt-led is the model number on the controller, my searches have come up empty so far