Schwinn stingray hub to controller wiring

It looked simple enough, buy a electric stingray, add in a new controller and roll. Right now there is no rolling. I am hung up on the wiring and I don't want to fry anything. Please help if you can, Thank you in advance.

I have a schwinn stingray 24v 250 watt ananda hub with 2 sets of wires coming from the hub.
1. wire has :black, white wires
2. wire has :green, black brown,blue, red, white wires

How do these wires hook up to my 24V/250W 6MOSFET ebike Electric Bicycle Brushless Motor Controller with these two wires?
1. wire has: green W, blue V, yellow U, wires
2 wire has: red +5v, black GND, yellow U, green V, blue W, wires

Just 2 wires coming out of the motor? Sounds like it's a brushed motor and you'll need a different controller.

Is it possible the motor has an internal controller? The would explain two power wires going in and the a set of connectors for throttle and on/off switch coming out...

I just bought the wheel by itself. I plan to install it on this bike. I got the feeling I may have bought the wrong controller.

Attachments

• mantaray1.jpg
    mantaray1.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 3,571
  • mantaray1.jpg
    mantaray1.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 4,006
I guess the question is, To make it work, What do I need to hook these wires to?

Attachments

• ANANDA WHEEL (2)d.jpg
    ANANDA WHEEL (2)d.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 3,997
Yup... now you're into unknown territory. I'm still thinking you might have an internal controller in there. If it was three big power wires and the other smaller ones it would be different, but with only two big wires, that either means a brushed motor (but they don't usually have a second bundle of wires) or something internal. The second bundle sounds like what would run a throttle with voltage display and on/off switch built into it, which again doesn't make sense unless the controller is inside the motor shell already. If it is in there, then the battery would hook to the black/white pair, but with the connectors cut off the other ones, its a total guess what ones would go to the throttle sensor and which ones to the switch etc.

I found the bike in the Alamosa, Colorado, Walmart. I got the electric bike bug now. I really want to keep the bike Schwinn if I can. Looks like I am getting closer to understanding those mysterious wires. Every ones help is greatly appreciated. Cant wait to give it the smoke test....LOL

IS this a new motor or is it an old Schwinn motor from years ago?

For a first step, you have one cable set with six wires and a second with two wires. Are there three thicker/heavier gauge wires in the first set? Colors?

It's got the right numbers for three phase wires, and three Hall sensor outputs in the first cable. Maybe +5V power/ground in the second cable. But you should go slow and accumulate more clues before you fry a controller.

I completely glossed over the motor having two sets of wires earlier. Bad habit, not the first time, and I oughta quit posting.

Searched pretty thoroughly for schwinn ananda hub motor 24v 250w and found one image where the 20x4 wheel was shown with "Ananda Brushless Motor" clearly labelled on the hub. Can't find it again though.

Voltron and fechter are almost certainly right. It's brushless and you should open it up to confirm. And to find out why a phase wire's missing.

Here's an old thread with some scanned documentation:

Help with brushless motor off schwinn stingray electric by bbsux
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3701

I just don't recall ever seeing a Schwinn motor like that before. If it is a brushless motor with internal controller, moving to an external controller will likely be a big improvement. Just a pain to sort out all the wires.

The A2B Metro has an internal controller so you just have a fat + and - battery wire and smaller wires for the throttle and brakes. It might be like that. Could also be a brushed motor if it's really old.

In the pic posted above, it's hard to see the thickness of the wires.

Too bad he didn't show what's inside the plastic V-twin but this looks like the same motor:

My 2005 Schwinn Sting-Ray Electric Modified by Armando Gonzalez (length: 1m57s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbOoaoQDv2g

[youtube]xbOoaoQDv2g[/youtube]

What's that black box ahead of the back wheel and under the frame? Maybe junction box or controller.

This video shows a bit more. And what's inside the plastic engine is batteries & charger.

assembly of the electric stingray by jay eltatertoto (length:8m54s)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuZs4nvsIa0

At ~7:25 the controller is seen ahead of the back wheel sitting on the chainstays where Armano had put one of his extra batteries.

More info on motor, if it's what whatpart has:

Run this webpage http://www.choppersforlife.ru/schwinn_electric_stingray.html through Google Translate and see:
"Motor controller 24V, attached at the bottom of the frame behind the seat tube;
Rear-wheel motor size 20"x4" with integrated brushless motor Ananda 250 Wt"

Last, better pictures for whatpart to compare against his motor:

In this image, "Ananda" is printed on the motor cover:
http://www.choppersforlife.ru/chopper/schwinn_electric_stingray_3.jpg

In this image, "Ananda Power," (visible when image enlarged) is on the label on the hub:
http://www.choppersforlife.ru/chopper/schwinn_electric_stingray_4.jpg

Here are some close ups of the wires from the ananda hub motor,

Wire set 1, with a set of 2 wires. these are larger wires

Wire set 2 with 6 wires, the lower three in the set of 6 wires look larger than the top three.

I also included a pix of the electric chopper throttle controller and the brake handle, The brake handle cuts off power to the motor, thus wires are going to the brake handle.

Again, thank you every one for your help. I am starting to see the light

Attachments

• 20171029_004757.jpg
    20171029_004757.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 3,926
  • 20171029_005127.jpg
    20171029_005127.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 3,926
  • hdghdghd.jpg
    hdghdghd.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 3,926
My guess is now battery in being the the black/white pair, and in the other bundle the white/red is pack voltage out to an on off switch, and the other four to the throttle/ voltage display.

But its still a complete guess until somebody cracks open that motor case.

Seems logical. I wonder if anyone has seen this motor before. I'm not ready to give it the smoke test yet.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 3,828
whatparthurts said:
I wonder if anyone has seen this motor before.
If you mean seen as in visually, how could anyone know? You've only provided a small image, mysterious wire configuration, and motor brand name. Are there any text or numbers on the motor housing? When and from whom did you buy it? All parts as a package or acquired piecemeal?

Right now the only thing you can do reasonably is open it up.

whatparthurts said:
. I wonder if anyone has seen this motor before.
Probably, but since we can't see the motor clearly in your pictures yet, we don't know.

Please attach much larger, closer, clearer images of the motor from all angles, especially of any markings, logos, letters, or numbers on it.

We do not need to see the whole wheel, just the motor.

I'm not ready to give it the smoke test yet.
Then your best option is to open up the motor to get large clear pictures of what's inside, so we can help you determine which wires are for what purpose.

Once you have posted large, clear pictures of the motor so we can see how it might be opened up, we can help you figure out how to do that.

Sorry folks, I am so new to Electric bikes that I don't even know what I don't know. I appreciate all the comments and I am learning more with every post.

I agree, If more pix will help, then more pix are on the way. Thank you to all of you.

Attachments

• 20171029_193229.jpg
    20171029_193229.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20171029_193105.jpg
    20171029_193105.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20171029_193049.jpg
    20171029_193049.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 3,798
  • 20171029_192919.jpg
    20171029_192919.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,798
It appears to be mounted in a bike frame. If it is the original bike frame, then presumably the wires connect to other things on it. You can trace those out and draw up a diagram of where they go to figure out what is what.

Or you can contact the maker listed on the frame and ask about that.

With "BLDC" on there, it's definitely not brushed.

That leaves the original speculation of built-in controller as the most likely, especially with the HOT warning label.

The 24 in the serial number pretty well ensures its' a 24v controller.

"190swx005" probably means 190rpm, at a guess. 005, don't know. Maybe the gear ratio if it's a geared motor?

Could find no info with google based on any of the stuff there, about this specific motor.

Unless you can contact the people at the website on the label and get info from them, you'll probably have to open it up to determine the wiring. To do this, you'd unscrew the bolts on the cover of the side with the wires coming out. Then remove the cover itself.

You'll probably have to carefully pry the cover off; you should look around the forum at the various hubmotor repair / modification threads before you do this, to get an idea of what you need to do, before you start, so you don't damage the motor or break any parts.

190SWX005 was listed as the motor model # in bbsux's scanned schwinn chopper manual page earlier. In that manual, it's brushless and the controller's, but not the motor's, wires are defined but that scanned page is hard to read. Again, this doesn't help whatpart much. Need to open the motor to know more.

Back