Cyclist spits at me and makes a buzzing noise !

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Re: Cyclist spits at me and makes a buzzing noise !

Post by wturber » Nov 03, 2017 1:30 pm

speedmd wrote:
the other day one caught up to me to tell me I was cheating

Does not sound like your rig is much faster. :lol:

For all my ebike friends, please don't be such snow flakes.... at least offer to do some motor pacing. I would love it on most of my training rides. The amount I ride, I am always looking for some motivation to mix up the routine and add some speed work to the mix. Welcome it 100%. Bridge the divide and adopt a more welcome stance to cycling rule 5! 8)
I'm commuting. I'll come to near stops at stop signs and will actually stop at stop lights. Oh the horror. :shock: Few roadies will stand for that.

Any cyclist is welcome to hang on my wheel if they like. Be my guest. Any person on a bicycle starts off with a +1 evaluation in my book. Only their poor behavior will cause me to think less of them.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=90369

speedmd
100 MW
100 MW

Post by speedmd » Nov 03, 2017 3:04 pm

Any person on a bicycle starts off with a +1 evaluation in my book

+1 Good words to ride by. You capture what is all right in the first part of the cycling rules. :lol:

Rule #1 //Obey The Rules.

Rule #2 // Lead by example.
It is forbidden for someone familiar with The Rules to knowingly assist another person to breach them.

Rule #3 // Guide the uninitiated.
No matter how good you think your reason is to knowingly breach The Rules, it is never good enough.

Rule #4 // It’s all about the bike.
It is, absolutely, without question, unequivocally, about the bike. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously a twatwaffle

Jestronix
10 kW
10 kW

Post by Jestronix » Nov 04, 2017 8:16 am

I'll never mention the word "peloton", its a match in hay stack. I'd like to think I create the leading edge for the peloton :) yeh must be the hotter weather setting them off, those strava times are getting harder to set as the heat rolls in. Mate at work wants me to yell out strava as I pass a group of roadies, I said you do it I'll film and bring a mop. Would get a good amount of hits on YouTube :) all jokes aside, I hope I don't see this guy again.

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Nov 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Jestronix wrote:I hope I don't see this guy again.

Why?

I think it would be great to come up with a plan and just mess with the bloke!

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Nov 04, 2017 2:05 pm

markz wrote:
Jestronix wrote:I hope I don't see this guy again.

Why?

Sure. Like you could Taze him and then stand over his quivering body making a "zzzzzzzz" noise.
Too far?? Yeah probably. :twisted:
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Nov 04, 2017 7:12 pm

Was thinking more like copying what he did, or just ride circles around him, or giver up the hill with your feet out to the sides then wait for him at the top of the hill and spit on the ground and make a buzzing noise.

dingoEsride
100 kW
100 kW

Post by dingoEsride » Nov 04, 2017 8:57 pm

There was a car guy that pulled out from a side street that deliberately came in too close to me as he entered the same lane, at the next set of lights I questioned his reason for this asking what his problem was, there was this typical overweight young guy in an overweight car, smokes in the console and he just got really nervous looking at me and the lights then he took off in a rush, he had no answer to not liking me on my odd machine, to him
wturber wrote: markz wrote:

Jestronix wrote:
I hope I don't see this guy again.

Why?

ride like the wind

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Nov 04, 2017 9:40 pm

I would have rode and stopped in front of him, taking the lane. I sometimes do that.

dingoEsride
100 kW
100 kW

Post by dingoEsride » Nov 05, 2017 12:02 am

markz wrote:I would have rode and stopped in front of him, taking the lane. I sometimes do that.
He was stopped on the white line but I wanted to get some reason for his action but pulling up on his drivers side and taking his keys would have got a good reaction
ride like the wind

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Nov 05, 2017 3:47 am

Yeah I've seen that where they pull closer to the curb so my bike cant get in front of them.

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Nov 06, 2017 1:52 am

Gotta say that most of my encounters on the e-bike with motorists have been pretty positive. There is, of course, the occasional numskull who does something stupid. But that's just the standard luck of the draw on the road. Nothing directed toward me because of the bike or e-bike.
"Commuter - DC Booster"

hypertoric_amplituhedron
100 W
100 W

Post by hypertoric_amplituhedron » Nov 06, 2017 10:37 am

Yesterday I had a guy in a roadie kit on a fat tire bike (training), riding with his wife on a fat tire ebike. So, he obviously couldn't have been opposed to the idea.

But, the dude was having a good old time, continuing to fly past me and my friend at 25 mph really close, while we were doing 20 on ebikes. Pretty funny actually, but he kept saying stuff that I couldn't make out. Maybe he wanted to race? I don't know. But he didn't seem all that friendly though.
There are two types of people in this world.

1. Those who can extrapolate from missing information.

dingoEsride
100 kW
100 kW

Post by dingoEsride » Nov 10, 2017 10:36 pm

hypertoric_amplituhedron wrote:Maybe he wanted to race?
That is your typical roady mentality, he feels he is better than you cause he hasn't got power assist and can still kick ass, it's their massive swelling ego
ride like the wind

Tony01
100 mW
100 mW

Post by Tony01 » Nov 11, 2017 5:59 pm

Man if somebody spit at me, it would get real ugly for the person.
I don't always listen to Alice in Chains.... but when I do, SO DO THE NEIGHBORS :D
60mph 2-speed Schwinn

RollerBoy
1 µW
1 µW

Post by RollerBoy » Nov 26, 2017 7:23 pm

zro-1: that path project is great except we can't move more than around 10mph safely, absolute nightmare of mixed traffic! Fun place to cruise but the adrenaline comes from avoiding injuring some poor ambulatory who cut sideways to examine the artwork arranged on the roadside.

I've been commuting across Atlanta for 3 years now on a DIY commuter and have some interesting run ins... Mostly with drivers who cannot stand to be behind any sort of bike regardless of the speed traveled or the amount of distance remaining to a traffic light or stop sign. I've been "passed" with 50 ft to go to a stop sign and forced off the road as they took my lane... Atlanta drivers are generally considerate but for gods sake don't get in the way.

The real issue for me is that the frustration and anger builds up with each successive event, and eventually I may be cited or shot as a lunatic raving against some idiot for endangering my life one too many times.

Never had anything but a friendly wave from riders, and good to see the ebike community grow in our town.

s4turn
1 W
1 W

Post by s4turn » Nov 30, 2017 10:19 pm

I never thought it would be a problem riding with others, but I noticed since commuting it seems the Lycra crowd really have to prove a point about going faster than me, I sit around (40-45km/h) along the bicycle paths which are mostly big massive straights that run adjacent the motorways

Cant peddle any faster due to my gearing
I nearly feel like putting a bigger motor on... at times :D

speedmd
100 MW
100 MW

Post by speedmd » Nov 30, 2017 10:38 pm

prove a point about going faster than me, I sit around (40-45km/h)
If I could pedal along at 45 km/h indefinitely, I would want to show everyone also! :shock: Real stud territory there excepting a strong tail wind.

s4turn
1 W
1 W

Post by s4turn » Nov 30, 2017 11:28 pm

today a cyclist flew past me and I was doing 46 km/h on a slight down hill
maybe the pro's or something train on the same path lol

my setup is a q128c 500w

speedmd
100 MW
100 MW

Post by speedmd » Dec 01, 2017 7:43 am

I was doing 46 km/h on a slight down hill
The back half of our local 10 mile tt which is predominately down hill, 10 minutes flat is a decent time(48.2kmh). The fast guys are circa 9 minutes (53.6kmh)! :shock: You will need to up the voltage to stay with them. :lol:

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Post by fechter » Dec 01, 2017 2:07 pm

I was recently passed by a lycra while I was climbing uphill on a fairly steep (10%) uphill section of dirt trail. I was quite surprised as usually I don't get passed on the uphill parts. At least he didn't spit at me or make buzzing sounds.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

markz
10 GW
10 GW

Post by markz » Dec 01, 2017 6:31 pm

make buzzing sounds
Maybe the Lycra had that 150W geared tube motor hiding in the seat tube.
You never know, seems to be a lot of people scared of The Fuzz.

speedmd
100 MW
100 MW

Post by speedmd » Dec 01, 2017 8:13 pm

had that 150W geared tube motor
Most of the serious guys I know have on board telemetry now days, that records heart rate and power meter data. No way to fool the left crank arm power meter data without it correlating with a reduced heart rate vs trail slope-speed norms. Folks not willing to post their performance files on strava or other such system is another thing all together. All this cheating speculation could be stopped immediately by mandatory publication of such telemetry during regional qualifiers and races. BTW, most top pro teams will not share this data. :roll: