Cyclist spits at me and makes a buzzing noise !

Jestronix

10 kW
Well I've had the eyes up and down and the nose up turns as an ebike rider, but today's spit and mimic noise of an electric motor certainly raised my eye brows. I didn't know there guys out there that upset.

Minding my business on my daily commute along the bike path here in sunny Brisbane Australia, i saw one of many normal cyclists heading out on their morning ride, usually the guys heading out of the city are on their dedicated fitness run and are kitted up with expensive bikes and gear. Good on them too, I have a lot of respect for their dedication and ability. But this one guy must have had a chip on his shoulder for ebikes, he just saw I wasn't wearing Lycra and was on a mountain hybrid ebike, within an instant he's spits at me and then makes a buzzing noise, and gives me the evil stare down as he passes. This guy wasn't some young teenage gang member, this was just a normal road bike cyclist who's obviously pissed off. I've never seen this guy before. I don't speed or cut people off, so I certainly don't think it's related to my riding. But I have seen ebike pricks carving up the paths and being dicks, so maybe he's had a run in with them ?

Either way, it's a real mixed bag out there. On an up note a very attractive women cyclist sparked up a convo at the lights, so it wasnt all down hill this morning. But it's actually twice that I've had the buzz noise done to me, even though my bikes dead quite. Only other incident I've had is a guy at our work unleash about how dangerous ebikes are and said I should man up and cycle. Mind you the guys as fat as a house and drives a giant SUV. Either way you have to put on a bit of a thick skin when you ride ebikes, there's still people out there with strong views and aren't afraid to flex their anger at times.

Anyone else had this type of thing happen ?

Just normal peloton behavior.

Racers are a pack of wolves after all. As I child, I took up bike racing because I was looking for a non contact sport. Boy, was I wrong! Its boxing on wheels.

He just thinks all bike riding is a competition. His world is the front tire, and the next 2 feet of road, deep in his tuck. A very narrow world. To him, you riding head up, enjoying the view is like Martin Luther posting the protestant paper on the church door. Get out the faggots of wood and start burning heretics.

As for the guy at work, he's just jealous. He's too fat, he thinks, to even ride an ebike.

the evil stare down as he passes

"The faster, never respects the slower". Just human nature.

I love it when a slacker on a low powered ebike tries to stay with me when out on a training ride. Clueless...... :roll:

One kid wanted to bet he could win racing me up one of the cat 4 climbs nearby with a really crappy setup no less being completely out of shape and way overweight. Even at 4 times his age I could not take his money, which by looking at his junk yard setup was not much. I had to respect his build efforts so I offered him some really great upgrades I had laying around for dirt cheap instead. Have to admit, very few of my roadie companions understand and respect the value and place that ebikes fill.

Riding, I never had any comment from a cyclist, because I am riding way too fast for them. Stopped, they talk to me sometimes but only curious most of the time. Parked in front of a cafe once, a cyclist stops in front of my bike and said: « Why did you put a motor on such a good DH bike? That is really stupid. »
I answered: « Same reason why my such good boots are dirty brown: ...Because I kick ass. » :wink:

Back when I put many miles on my road bike, I'd sometimes join in on group rides with "roadies." I came to understand that "roadies" as a group are probably cycling's worst enemies. Their behavior towards the rest of the world was/is all too often elitist and inconsiderate. I was often embarrassed as the "peloton" that I was participating in did something rude, illegal, or disruptive. And nearly every time a friend complains to me about "cyclists" it turns out that they are annoyed with the lycra crowd on road bikes.

I had just the opposite experience the other day. A very long time hard core semi pro local cyclist (his wife too, in fact especially her) needed some trusses set on his new shop, so as we've known each other slightly for 30 years or so (from the local ski area, and it being overall a small town) he gave me a call. Point being, we don't hang enough for him to know I have gotten way into e bikes, so after I got the crane setup but before we went to work, I made a point of opening up the compartment I keep my crane's e bike in, and also telling him about my other 2 e bikes and my most epic recent rides. He seemed mildly interested but exhibited zero animosity towards the concept.

If he had, I was prepared to tell him to get someone else to lift the trusses up! Not really, he's a good guy and I didn't really expect to get dissed. I have yet to get a negative, in your face type dissing out in the real world, only online by key board tough guys, and they don't count. Then again, I rarely mix with others when riding, the few times I do I keep moving (at a "regular" bike speed), say hi, nice day, blah blah, and move on. Now dirt bikers are a different story, with them I'll make a point of telling them all about what I'm riding, and usually pull a wheel stand when taking off at a high rate of speed up the trail they never see any other bikes on as it's too gnarly.

Most bikers I pass by on the mountain trails don't even notice my bike is electric.

I wonder if the OP's bike is really loud or something.

Here in Atlanta, GA I've been super impressed with how well my ebike is accepted by other cyclists. I once passed a lycra roadie on an uphill (he was moving really well by the way) and at a stop on the road after the hill he caught up and with good humor commented "I wondered how the hell you passed me so quick, because I was really pushing it up that hill. For a bit there you really busted my bubble". Then he asked me a bit about my bike and said he'd need to look into an ebike too. It was a really cool encounter.

We have a big walk/bike path project here in Atlanta and on the bike path I see lots of different electric vehicles; from electric kick scooters, to electric skateboards, to those weird looking mono-wheel skateboard things, and of course electric bikes. I think the wide range of electric vehicles and a city government who is open and accepting of them goes a long way in acceptance. We also have an active bicycle organization who helps raise awareness for all riders and works with local government in improving roads and making more/better bike lanes. So the bike riding community generally feels very close-knit despite our different riding preferences.

I am used to "not fitting in" everywhere I go, my entire life. If someone gives me the stink-eye, I just keep doing my thing. But...if someone spits on me? That crosses a line.

I agree with spinningmagnets. If someone were to spit on me for no other reason other than they didn't like me or what I was doing there'd be problems. I figure if the cops can consider getting spit on assaulting an officer, then I can consider getting spit on assault too and I will react accordingly. Luckily I haven't had anything like that happen while riding.

It really sucks that some people can't be more accepting of others. But that's true in many more things than just electric bikes.

A good rider doesn’t focus on anything else than moving obstacles. Forget their emotions and keep the rythm of yours, let your mojo riding. Interaction with other users of the path, can only distract you from riding safe and good. Don’t talk to them, talk to yourself instead and do it in the beat. Of course it does help, when your beat is faster than theirs. 8)

What is your ebike setup?
Must be a mid drive or something, because a rear hub motor, direct drive flava covered by a rear rack, pannier bags and 203mm disc people never notice nuffin!

I must admit them mid drives are loud, I see people all the time turning their heads as I come up behind them. Dogs bark at the unusual sound. Mid drives also stick out and they just scream "look at me, I am different"

If my motors were operational, and I had a backup motor, I'd uninstall the Cyclone 4K and sell it online classifieds, but its winter now, doubt anyone will buy it until spring, unless I throw in a small battery in the sale. Always seems to work that way doesnt it. Then some cheap 1A charger seals the deal usually.

He was actually going past the other way, so he only had moments to recognise the bike, spit and then make the noise. I suspect it may be the same guy from a year back who was in a group at the time, again going the other way. I'm on a different bike now. I'm on a quiet mid drive and used to be on quiet hub back then with panniers, though I had the battery in the front tube so it stood out as an Ebike.

It all happened so quick that I didn't even have time to speak, spit at me on foot and I would have unleashed. It was all so quick and we were both out of visible sight so quick as it was on a bend. It was one of those did that just really happen moments , again more reason to grab a GoPro eh. But we are talking two years of cycling daily and 99% of people are fine.

quote-some-people-die-at-25-and-aren-t-buried-until-75-benjamin-franklin-65416.jpg

:wink:

I had a bad experience time ago. That dude over reacted when I passed him. I thought about his shouts and insults and I came up with the idea that it was my fault. I passed him at 150 cm distance and probably I scared him. I was riding at 40 kmh and he was riding at least at 30... Nothing to worry about from "my Point of view"
Ever since I pass them slowly and I try to leave as much distance as I can. Some of them hate me, call me cheater etc...
But I never have had an oversized issue like that day. Sometimes we must be "in their shoes" to understand them.

Once, on a 70 mile ride from Albuquerque to Santa Fe, I was churning along at 15 mph on the flats leading to the mountain to make range. The bike was a Walmart mongoose piece of shit, loaded with panniers each carrying a battery.

Pack of roadies passed me, laughing at my ride. Cant say I blame em, I looked like the classic homeless crazy dude. Churning along at my steady 15 mph, half an hour later I passed them, on the steep part of the climb, whistling. Yeah, shouldn't have done the whistling a cheery tune thing. Later on someday, maybe the same guy spits on another ebiker. I just couldn't help rubbing it in though.

Another ride, an old roadie passes me as I'm churning along at 15 mph, same shit bike. He laughed at me too. He was cruising about 20 mph. This time rolling hills. When he topped a hill and could not see me a mile back, I hit full throttle. Next time he sees me, I'm catching him. but I slow to 15 again so he starts to gain it back. I repeated this about 10 times over 20 miles. I don't think he ever knew I had the motor, but he just about gave himself a heart attack, digging into the red zone 10 times on the uphill to try to lose me. I finally passed him eventually, when his pace slowed to 10 mph and he was about to puke up his power drink.

Now it's different, my bike is cool looking, and nobody laughs. I get along fine with all the local roadies, but also word has gotten around that I have this handicap now. So they just think its cool I still ride, despite the illness.

I hear you in the distance and speed side of things. I always slowdown down and give plent of room, why? cause some prick on an ebike scared the shit out of me when I was riding :) so I know what it feels like. Ive actually yelled out before at other Ebikes's when they have sped past way to quick and close, it actually fires me up cause I don't want Ebikes's getting a bad name ! I think it's important to call out bad behaviour like that.

I also regularly ease off the power if I feel I'm pushing someone along and they are only slightly slower than me and overtake at a sensible spot. Also there's a few roadies who love to tuck in behind me when there's a strong head wind, some days they secretly like ebikes :) again 99% of riders seem chilled out just a few nutters. Like all walks of life.

I dunno how an oncoming cyclist can recognize an ebike if both are moving at a good speed.

Maybe he just coughed up some black lung phlegm and and was trying to clear his throat with the buzzing. LOL. Just kidding about that, but you know, it's hard to tell.

I've only been recognized as an ebike once, because there were several of us slowed down by a group of walkers on a path, so they got to stare at the wires coming out of my battery bag. My wife has been called out twice, as she was blissfully passing some hard working not-very-fit bikers on a hill. "Hey, what's going on? She's gotta have a motor! I want one!"

rojitor said:
I had a bad experience time ago. That dude over reacted when I passed him. I thought about his shouts and insults and I came up with the idea that it was my fault. I passed him at 150 cm distance and probably I scared him. I was riding at 40 kmh and he was riding at least at 30... Nothing to worry about from "my Point of view"
Ever since I pass them slowly and I try to leave as much distance as I can. Some of them hate me, call me cheater etc...
But I never have had an oversized issue like that day. Sometimes we must be "in their shoes" to understand them.

This is why I have a "ching-ching" bike bell on my handlebars. I also find the sound a bit amusing. :^)

I just whistle and sing along with my ear phones. If its the mid drive, no need to make any sounds as they can hear you coming from 150 miles behind 'em

The person who spat at you has emotional problems. He probably deserves pity instead of anger but there is no excuse. Must be a sad existence to resort to assaulting a stranger.
When crossing at lights I had a drunk guy from a near by pub jump on the back of my bike, resulted in a scuffle to get him off. I ended pushing his face into the pavement until the next crossing opportunity. There was quiet bit of blood when I left, I felt terrible.

I read the title of this thinking of no this sounds all too familiar....
Low and bloody behold brisbane qld, my own stomping ground.

Im not going to lie there are a lot of these pricks around, the other day one caught up to me to tell me I was cheating, and that I needed to put more effort in "would you rather me in a car by myself?"
anyway I can go a lot faster then them so nowadays I will literally ride circles around them until they grow up "I bet this is great to watch, im like a street magpie for lycra clad idiots"

I just like to rest assured thinking that there is a 9/10 chance this dude thinks riding bikes is so cool he has a diper full of shit attached to himself....

the other day one caught up to me to tell me I was cheating

Does not sound like your rig is much faster. :lol:

For all my ebike friends, please don't be such snow flakes.... at least offer to do some motor pacing. I would love it on most of my training rides. The amount I ride, I am always looking for some motivation to mix up the routine and add some speed work to the mix. Welcome it 100%. Bridge the divide and adopt a more welcome stance to cycling rule 5! 8)

Back