ebike Battery sellers

New here guys and looking to convert bike to 48v 1000w kit. Next purchase is a battery. Been reading up on all the Li types and need to start the shopping phase. I understand about the ebay sellers possible counterfeit issue. So, im asking for battery sellers that members have had buying expierence and usage expierence. Thanks

Build your own using Multistar batteries. It's cheap, it forces you to learn how the battery works, so you can do future diagnosis and repair yourself, and you know you're getting quality cells.

Even some reputable sellers have been caught out by unknowingly buying and on-selling poor quality packs, because they don't build their own.

If you do have to buy professionally made, make sure the vendor is reputable, and builds their own packs, or has a physical shop you can return to.

If you want specific recommendations, you may need to indicate where you live.

Look for a legit seller, one that has the UN 38.3 certification that makes shipping the thing legal in the USA. This means the battery meets certain minimum design specs for the assembly, that help prevent a battery fire. Less likely to short out because the package gets dropped.

This makes it safe to put on a UPS truck, and safer for you to use.

I went with a real bargain from ali express a few years ago. Last winter it burned my garage. Next week, I will get to move back home after 9 months of waiting for my house to get rebuilt.

Some bargain. I should never have allowed that thing into the garage, and will never again, regardless of who I buy the next one from. The insurance company was not real happy that there was nobody to sue. The china company had vanished.

solera ebiker said:
New here guys and looking to convert bike to 48v 1000w kit. Next purchase is a battery. Been reading up on all the Li types and need to start the shopping phase. I understand about the ebay sellers possible counterfeit issue. So, im asking for battery sellers that members have had buying expierence and usage expierence. Thanks

By "batteries", do you mean cells or complete batteries? If you fill out your profile with your location, we can give better advice.

Thanks. I'm looking for reputable pack battery to fit in a bag on the rear rack. LiPo, or the newer Li Mn one. I have been emailing with Ping Battery on a LiPo type lithium. They build to order, so it says on website. Looks like a beefy BMS wrapped to the battery pack. But, like I mentioned, im doing my first conversion. Im a casual rider, no daily work commute, so just need maybe 12ah, on a 48v pack.

With ebiking so popular, why aren't there more battery sellers out there. Im not sure I know all the good ones. So, any help is appreciated. Updated local on my profile, but mostly, I think its mail order anyway. Thanks again.

It is mentioned in some beginners post to include your location in profile to make it easier for rest to help you. Here in Europe I consider Varta to be reputable battery maker, and I know they used to make batteries for Ebikes, but dont anymore. Possibly they made deal with some company, to make batteries for them exclusive. Could be same for many others

And like others have said, you can always make your own pack with cells

solera ebiker said:
Thanks. I'm looking for reputable pack battery to fit in a bag on the rear rack. LiPo, or the newer Li Mn one. I have been emailing with Ping Battery on a LiPo type lithium. They build to order, so it says on website. Looks like a beefy BMS wrapped to the battery pack. But, like I mentioned, im doing my first conversion. Im a casual rider, no daily work commute, so just need maybe 12ah, on a 48v pack.

With ebiking so popular, why aren't there more battery sellers out there. Im not sure I know all the good ones. So, any help is appreciated. Updated local on my profile, but mostly, I think its mail order anyway. Thanks again.
LiPo-I guess technically, that covers the various types of lithium chem. batteries, but here, LiPo is understood to mean lithium polymer, which I abrivervate LiPoly. This would be in a "brick" form and associated with RC models. Traditionally, it has been popular w/. owners of "high-powered" ebikes due to it's high discharge rate and as such, they were willing to put up with the volatile nature of the powerful LiPoly chem.

Ping batteries are LifePO4 and while these can be remarkably long-lived, their large size and weight make them non-starters for most of us here.

But all that changed a couple of years ago with the introduction of the Multistar line of LiPoly. Designed for quad copters, It trades high discharge rate(C rate) for a smaller and lighter form factor, and just as important, a lower volatility.

Now, instead of removing one's batteries and charging them in a fireplace or Bar-B-Que pit, one only now needs to exerzise a little extra caution and time to use it safely.
The "extra time" comes about due to the fact the LiPoly needs to be "stored" at a certain cell Voltage and then "topped off" before going out for a ride.
The only reason I mention it to you is because you described yourself as a "casual" rider. I too am a casual rider(I'm retired)and I do not mind the extra time LiPoly requires as opposed to a "plug and play" battery. I fact, I rather enjoy futzing over my "babies". If I were commuting to work daily, I would stick with a plug and play Lithium Ion pack from BMS Battery.
https://bmsbattery.com/63-ebike-battery
But for those who are not pressed for time, Multistar LiPoly offers the opportunity to easily put together a pack 1/3 to 1/2 the size and weight of the other chemistries @ 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.
In the past, using LiPoly entailed "breaking" the "string" of bricks that comprise a pack and using RC balance chargers. But thanks to the Multistar being available in large capacity bricks, several of us here have developed the process of "bulk charging", which has simplified the charging and eliminated the need to use unreliable RC chargers.
12S(12 cell) LiPoly is a perfect match for 48 V systems as a 48V controller has a 42 V Low Voltage Cut-off(LVC), which is all the BMS LiPoly needs while discharging.
If this is something you are interested in, you can search here(or my posts), using the Key Words Multistar, bulk charging, etc.

Multistar page at Hobby King. Note the 5200 mAh and larger bricks and how many of those larger 6S bricks are on sale.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/multistar.html

I just put together two packs, a 12S(44V)/10,400 mAh comprised of 4) 6S/5200 mAh bricks @ $39 ea. Total pack cost was $200 delivered.

The other was a 12S/20,000 mAh pack which was $300 delivered. That's 40 miles on my bike!

motomech said:
solera ebiker said:

LiPo-I guess technically, that covers the various types of lithium chem. batteries, but here, LiPo is understood to mean lithium polymer, which I abrivervate LiPoly. This would be in a "brick" form and associated with RC models. Traditionally, it has been popular w/. owners of "high-powered" ebikes due to it's high discharge rate and as such, they were willing to put up with the volatile nature of the powerful LiPoly chem.

Ping batteries are LifePO4 and while these can be remarkably long-lived, their large size and weight make them non-starters for most of us here.

But all that changed a couple of years ago with the introduction of the Multistar line of LiPoly. Designed for quad copters, It trades high discharge rate(C rate) for a smaller and lighter form factor, and just as important, a lower volatility.

Now, instead of removing one's batteries and charging them in a fireplace or Bar-B-Que pit, one only now needs to exerzise a little extra caution and time to use it safely.
The "extra time" comes about due to the fact the LiPoly needs to be "stored" at a certain cell Voltage and then "topped off" before going out for a ride.
The only reason I mention it to you is because you described yourself as a "casual" rider. I too am a casual rider(I'm retired)and I do not mind the extra time LiPoly requires as opposed to a "plug and play" battery. I fact, I rather enjoy futzing over my "babies". If I were commuting to work daily, I would stick with a plug and play Lithium Ion pack from BMS Battery.
https://bmsbattery.com/63-ebike-battery
But for those who are not pressed for time, Multistar LiPoly offers the opportunity to easily put together a pack 1/3 to 1/2 the size and weight of the other chemistries @ 1/3 to 1/2 the cost.
In the past, using LiPoly entailed "breaking" the "string" of bricks that comprise a pack and using RC balance chargers. But thanks to the Multistar being available in large capacity bricks, several of us here have developed the process of "bulk charging", which has simplified the charging and eliminated the need to use unreliable RC chargers.
12S(12 cell) LiPoly is a perfect match for 48 V systems as a 48V controller has a 42 V Low Voltage Cut-off(LVC), which is all the BMS LiPoly needs while discharging.
If this is something you are interested in, you can search here(or my posts), using the Key Words Multistar, bulk charging, etc.

Multistar page at Hobby King. Note the 5200 mAh and larger bricks and how many of those larger 6S bricks are on sale.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/multistar.html

I just put together two packs, a 12S(44V)/10,400 mAh comprised of 4) 6S/5200 mAh bricks @ $39 ea. Total pack cost was $200 delivered.

The other was a 12S/20,000 mAh pack which was $300 delivered. That's 40 miles on my bike!

I think I follow you somewhat. You bought multiple pack and what, wired them together. Just dont quite understand the process. sounds like you need to do some rewire between the individual packs. Do you know what the format of the individual cells are in the Hobby King bricks.

Why wouldn't hobby king just expand their line to include ebike batts. I just dont get why its such a difficult task.

How many Amp-Hours do you want?

Quickest and Easiest and with a warranty (if you dont hack it up) is to go to Home Depot and buy the EGO 56V. Gotta buy the charger to go along with it too, dont forget that! Be the exact same price as a legit ebike company selling batteries.

EGO 56-Volt 5.0 Ah Battery
Model# BA2800
(194)
$219.99

Or look around for deals

Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion High Capacity Lithium+ Battery Pack 4.0Ah (2-Pack)
Model# P122
(1964)
$99.00
*nets you 36V 4Ah, if you want 36V

Ryobi 40-Volt Lithium-Ion 5 Ah High Capacity Battery
Model# OP4050A
(351)
$139.00

DEWALT 20-Volt MAX XR Lithium-Ion Premium Battery Pack 6.0Ah (2-Pack)
Model# DCB206-2
(25)
Was $189.00
$159.00 <-------Buy this one, it nets you 36V and 6Ah for $160usd, but you gotta buy a charger along with it. If you want to keep the warranty and exchange privilege. If you want to go faster, say 62V(max) and 54V(nominal) all you'd have to do is put 3 in series, so ideally you'd need to buy $450 worth or 6 bricks, but you'd get 12Ah. That is why 36V systems are great, its cheaper when buying battery.

New tool pack batteries, above, $25-$27 per Amp-Hour. While you look at a professionally built pack from an insured company, $60 per Amp-Hour. LiPo rc batteries you'd need to study up and take care of them. Next up is building your own pack from individual cans, say Samsung 2.9Ah cans, if you want 36V 9Ah, thats 10 in series and 3 in parallel, making it 30 solder joints or tab welds. Its doable, if you know how to solder, or want to spend extra on a tab welder which would be like $100+. Dont forget to get a decent charger either, something that will charge it up in decent time. iCharger is the way to go for, do not skimp out on this item. You want 10S. Either that or go Meanwell PSU. Or just your basic generic charger.

.........or buy used tool pack batteries.

FWIW, my insurance rate did not go up.

Pings battery may not be UN 38.3 yet, I am not sure. But lifepo4 is less likely to have the type of fire I had than Lithium manganese. One cell shorts and pops, causing the next one to fire off from overheating. It sounded like a string of firecrackers, as they burned one by one.

Lifepo4 can still cause a fire, any battery can. Put a 9v cell in your pocket with some change and see. Any short can cause a battery fire.

I guess it not as easy as I thought to ask for vendors who forum members bought their packs from. The battery side of this build is the most frustrating. All I was asking is what did you buy, from where, and how satisfied are you.

You want a universal "best battery" and there isn't one. There are various types, which offer advantages and disadvantages, depending on how they are to be used. Add to this the complication of changing regulations governing their transportation.
And like all new technologies, they are expensive at the start and vendors have to weigh whether or not they can make a profit without being stuck with a problematic product that will allienate customers.
In a away, lithium batteries are a microcosm of the complex state of World affairs, as one Country is well on the way to cornering the market on lithium and lithium products and buying from them is not without risk.
This forum is not particularly geared to people who want an "off the showroon floor" ebikes, but to folks that want to learn and understand how an ebike works and then make one to suit their desires, often modifying along the way. And to that end, there are as many different aproaches and there as different people.
I would suggest to you, that you take the time to read and learn, rather than demanding a "magic pill" solution.

solera ebiker said:
why aren't there more battery sellers out there. Im not sure I know all the good ones....
All I was asking is what did you buy, from where, and how satisfied are you.
Just talking about battery construction and vendor quality and sidestepping the particular cell choice:

I use a custom battery built by EM3EV a few years back. It's a split pack for panniers with two 7s9p subpacks each with its own 29.4V serial BMS. They get hooked in series and charged through the discharge leads with a standard 58.8V charger. All the internal BMS balance leads are fused. This is a really well built pack with glass board reinforcements and extra heavy rubber shrink. I love it.

Subsequently, EM3EV moved to a new battery design using a proprietary system that fuses each individual cell for safety (a la Tesla). The balance leads have self-resetting fuses. Their rectangular packs now come in a waterproof plastic case as well. I went on a walking Skype video tour of the facility when Justin was on site and Paul was showing the production machines and test equipment - very cool stuff - they make all the parts from plastic cell holders to die-stamped bus bars. Paul uses only the real deal cells and offers a variety of choices - you pick what cell you want.

AFAIK there are no other ebike batteries with this kind of construction and safety features. Yes, you can certainly get cheaper, but I'm an EM3EV patron customer for sure.

solera ebiker said:
marty said:

Marty, what lithium chemistry do you run may I ask. Interesting thread.
Makita power tools - 18650 Lithium-Ion
Bionx electric bicycle kit - 18650 Lithium-Ion [got a dead battery :( ]
A2B electric bicycle - Lithium-Ion, think they are 18650?
HP laptop - not sure?

Building a battery for a scooter from used Makita power tool 18650 Lithium-Ion cells. See Battery Building Competition Started that project in 2010. Building that battery is still on my list of things to do. Used Makita power tool batteries are in the shed with the gasoline, kerosene, and propane.

Interesting to see that the engineers at Makita, Bionx, A2B, and HP, all chose 18650 cells. Think that are all green?

My thoughts, Ya better know what you are doing if you plan to build a electric bicycle battery. Stay away from any battery wrapped in heat shrink or duct tape. That includes HobbyKing. Same as gasoline, batteries need to be contained in a metal or plastic container.

One more thought about HobbyKing. Lowest cost is not always the best choice.

Look at this:
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/batteries/b362-7-ligo.html
36V 2.7Ah Stackable LiGo battery module with low impedance LG MG1 cells and a crazy smart wireless enabled BMS circuit, capable of 10A continuous and 15A peak. 98 Watt-hour capacity is permissible for air travel. Dual Anderson power leads allows easy parallel connection for assembly into larger modules or for series connection to 72V. Slim profile works great on skateboards too. Limited to two pieces and ground shipping to be exempt from dangerous goods.
b362.7_ligo_redleds.jpg

See you looking for 48V. This is 36V. 72V goes faster.

motomech said:
You want a universal "best battery" and there isn't one. There are various types, which offer advantages and disadvantages, depending on how they are to be used. Add to this the complication of changing regulations governing their transportation.
And like all new technologies, they are expensive at the start and vendors have to weigh whether or not they can make a profit without being stuck with a problematic product that will allienate customers.
In a away, lithium batteries are a microcosm of the complex state of World affairs, as one Country is well on the way to cornering the market on lithium and lithium products and buying from them is not without risk.
This forum is not particularly geared to people who want an "off the showroon floor" ebikes, but to folks that want to learn and understand how an ebike works and then make one to suit their desires, often modifying along the way. And to that end, there are as many different aproaches and there as different people.
I would suggest to you, that you take the time to read and learn, rather than demanding a "magic pill" solution.

Really. Rethink your tone, will you. I never demanded anything. In fact, some replied and made comment that they think certain batteries are fire hazzards. Which I found interesting. One guy replying to this thread I started burned his building down, and you think I demaned.

I have read on all the lithium types, and the authors data of expected results. Alls I asked in my last post was forum members expierence, you turn that into a very rude and crass comment. Enough said.

marty said:
solera ebiker said:
marty said:

Marty, what lithium chemistry do you run may I ask. Interesting thread.
Makita power tools - 18650 Lithium-Ion
Bionx electric bicycle kit - 18650 Lithium-Ion [got a dead battery :( ]
A2B electric bicycle - Lithium-Ion, think they are 18650?
HP laptop - not sure?

Building a battery for a scooter from used Makita power tool 18650 Lithium-Ion cells. See Battery Building Competition Started that project in 2010. Building that battery is still on my list of things to do. Used Makita power tool batteries are in the shed with the gasoline, kerosene, and propane.

Interesting to see that the engineers at Makita, Bionx, A2B, and HP, all chose 18650 cells. Think that are all green?

My thoughts, Ya better know what you are doing if you plan to build a electric bicycle battery. Stay away from any battery wrapped in heat shrink or duct tape. That includes HobbyKing. Same as gasoline, batteries need to be contained in a metal or plastic container.

One more thought about HobbyKing. Lowest cost is not always the best choice.

Look at this:
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/batteries/b362-7-ligo.html
36V 2.7Ah Stackable LiGo battery module with low impedance LG MG1 cells and a crazy smart wireless enabled BMS circuit, capable of 10A continuous and 15A peak. 98 Watt-hour capacity is permissible for air travel. Dual Anderson power leads allows easy parallel connection for assembly into larger modules or for series connection to 72V. Slim profile works great on skateboards too. Limited to two pieces and ground shipping to be exempt from dangerous goods.
b362.7_ligo_redleds.jpg

See you looking for 48V. This is 36V. 72V goes faster.

Marty, interesting stuff. Im learning so much since just wetting my curiosity on ebike stuff. Thanks for the reply.

Back