Anyone use fairings? Why not...?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Re: Anyone use fairings? Why not...?

Post by Warren » Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm

Back in the 1990's, this guy used to ride in many of the IHPVA races.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LWGcbKlwPjU/T ... R1-+7A.jpg

It seemed like the most practical, effective upright fairing going.

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Warren wrote:
Dec 13, 2017 3:24 pm
Back in the 1990's, this guy used to ride in many of the IHPVA races.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LWGcbKlwPjU/T ... R1-+7A.jpg

It seemed like the most practical, effective upright fairing going.
If so, then its commercial success (or lack of such) points out the rather weak cost benefits of fairings for most riders.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak
53T/42T Sakae Road cranks - 30mph+ on flats
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=90369

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Dec 13, 2017 6:22 pm

wturber wrote:
Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

If so, then its commercial success (or lack of such) points out the rather weak cost benefits of fairings for most riders.
It points out that upright bike riders are the most conformist people in the world.

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Dec 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Warren wrote:
Dec 13, 2017 6:22 pm

It points out that upright bike riders are the most conformist people in the world.
Nah. Sure, cyclists will follow silly trends and fads just like any other group. Heck, that's what people, in general, do. But the trends don't succeed for very long unless there a good perceived cost/benefit ratio. That can come from a big perceives benefit and/or a low perceived cost. Derailer systems, mountain bikes, new frame materials, disc brakes and I suspect all very successful trends managed to provide that perception. Fairings have failed to do so on any significant scale. The cost/benefit for them on an upright bike just isn't perceived as being very good - and frequently for the very good reasons that the cost/benefit is objectively not very good. This should be no surprise given that the vast majority of upright cyclists travel at sub-15mph speeds where wind resistance isn't much of a factor.

Personally, I tend to be attracted to the non-standard and atypical and I have a very high tolerance for the unusual and non-conforming. I'm the guy who would and did buy a Zzipper fairing for his upright road bike. It was not a very satisfying purchase. It was pretty much a waste of money. The main benefit was that it satisfied my curiosity a bit. And while the wrap-around fairing shown in the previous post is probably effective at reducing wind drag, it would be a real pain in the butt for me to use on my commuter e-bike.
"Commuter - DC Booster"
Iron Horse 3.0 hardtail - 48V / 1000W / 470rpm generic Chinese DD Hub motor (ebay)
7 x 36v 4.3ah 10s 2P battery packs - Wangdd22 1500W 30A DC Boost Converter delivers 54v and about 1175 watts peak

Warren
100 kW
100 kW

Post by Warren » Dec 14, 2017 10:17 am

The problem with a fairing is that it adds weight and bulk to an otherwise very basic vehicle. For me, and most people, we don't generate enough speed to make it worth hauling up hill. Had a Zzipper on a V-Rex back in the 1990's for one winter. Great for wind chill reduction but amplified noise, and added weight and bulk.

Hell, I bought another one five years ago, thinking I would want it on an electric bike. Not a problem hauling it up hills, but the same issues otherwise. Better to haul a bit bigger battery up to mid 20's mph. For highway speeds there is no doubt a fairing would make sense. But then you are not bicycling anyway.

That said, mrbill, Bill Bushnell, is still my hero!

https://mrbill.homeip.net/hybridBike.php

LockH
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Dec 14, 2017 2:48 pm

Hehe... "The problem with a fairing is that it adds weight and bulk to an otherwise very basic vehicle."...

OK. "Ground Rules"... Watt is a "vehicle"? ie ONE passenger/one "seat"... or more?

... and "how fast" (see "aerodynamics")

Also, how "cheap" is TOO "cheap"? Hehe...

Lets say, safety TO OTHERS is "Number One Concern"?

All said... "facts are", AFAIK, any "fairing" implies MORE "aerodynamic" (less energy needed to "move"/accelerate) and (MY favorite), more comfortable. :wink:
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 15&t=60564

LockH
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Dec 14, 2017 3:22 pm

`Kay. When somebuddy says "Anyone use fairings? Why not...?" WATT other "costs" are there?
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 15&t=60564

DRMousseau
100 W
100 W
Location: Panama City, FL (Jan-June) Traverse City, MI (June-Dec)

Post by DRMousseau » Dec 14, 2017 3:25 pm

Being either directly involved with various projects, or as an interested observer in others,.... I've kinda developed my own biased views of fairing use. I've watched the most basic, a face shield, evolve in many ways over time,.... while eye protection was the primary purpose, comfort was the major factor of consideration. From simple "goggles" and "shades" to fancy helmet shields and various "windscreen" fairings, comfort was jus not to be sacrificed in such, at any speed! And that includes the comforts of stability and control. Taken to the extreme, you have an automobile, hahaha!

And who hasn't tucked tight, elbows in, knees together, head down,.... minimizing frontal resistance on a downhill accent? Still won't beat out the "Guerra Superman"!!! LoL!!! Frontal resistance at "low speed" is pretty big,... give me a tailwind any day! Overcoming it for a gain in speed or efficiency though, is usually met with inconvenience and discomfort, and comfort isn't something we care to sacrifice so casually, outside of competitive activity. Recumbents and velos weigh that balance quite carefully.

At greater speeds, DRAG becomes a bigger factor and often overlooked, unless your "rocketing" or "sailing" at speed with minimal or no ground contact. Then a "tail" or "rudder" becomes important as does some "lift" perhaps from wings of a sort. Heck, Wilbur and Orville barely made bicycle speeds. I find those hybrid "ice-sleds" like that above to be simply AMAZING!!!! My experience in "hard-water" sailing is actually quite minimal, although rather exhilarating.

Nope,.... I'll be comfortable with some good eye-protection, gloves maybe. Although that "body sock" Aero-Edge looks like a nice addition to my rain wear! Comfort, ya know.

Chalo
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Chalo » Dec 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Warren wrote:
Dec 13, 2017 6:22 pm
wturber wrote:
Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Um, have you ever been to a bike shop in a city? Just curious.

By the way, 'bent riders do seem to be cribbing their fashion tips from each other. :D
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

wturber
1 kW
1 kW

Post by wturber » Dec 14, 2017 4:06 pm

LockH wrote:
Dec 14, 2017 2:48 pm

All said... "facts are", AFAIK, any "fairing" implies MORE "aerodynamic" (less energy needed to "move"/accelerate) and (MY favorite), more comfortable. :wink:
Not necessarily more comfortable at all. In Phoenix, you want the wind blowing on you while riding for many months of the year. Also, the annoying noise creates a form of discomfort. Same to with the reduced visibility and effects on handling. The Zzipper fairing is not perfectly transparent - not by a long shot. Then there are reflections on the surface.

Its a feature that has never caught on in a big way. And based on my observations and the arguments presented, it hasn't caught on because the net positives are generally outweighed by the net negatives in most bicycling situations faced by most people.
"Commuter - DC Booster"