$600 mixed ebike kit from China 350w MXUS wheel

eCue

10 kW
Picked up a ebike kit for $600 its being shipped in from China , the battery via sea mail the wheel and controller by air with the battery reported to take 7 to 9 weeks to arrive

It could be here in two weeks or two months did not want to pay extra shipping instead will wait.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The battery description

Please do not put the battery for more than 500W motor

48V12AH Li-ion Battery Specifications :

Type : 48V12Ah Li-ion battery pack (with alu case)

Model: EMC4812001

Nominal voltage: 48V

Weight: about 3.5kg

Standard Charge (0-45 ℃): Use 3A constant current charge to 54.6V ,and use constant voltage charge to the current less than 100mA

Nominal capacity: 12Ah (standard discharge)

Cycle life: Standard charge and fast discharge cycle 500 times.

Maximum continuous charging current: 5A

Maximum continuous discharge current: 15A

Maximum instantaneous working current: 20A

Resistance (23 ± 2 ℃): ≤ 250mΩ

Battery case: Whitebait Aluminum Case

Protection system: Internal BMS

Charger: 54.6V / 2A

Size: 385 * 110 * 75mm

The controller

450 watt 48 /64 volt 20A sine wave

s-l1600.jpg

The front wheel with black hub motor

ebike-kit-Electric-bike-conversion-kit-36V-48V-250W-350W-motor-wheel-MXUS-brand-XF07-XF08.jpg_640x640.jpg

These three items were the least expensive I could find that had free or reasonable shipping.

The controller - free shipping
The battery - free shipping ( 7-9 weeks )
The wheel - $32 shipping

Why I choose the pieces in this kit

The battery was the largest cheapest model i could find / afford (on eBay) that had a high enough Amp output. The battery has be able to output as much as the controller or it shuts down.

The controller was the most well suited and ample powered could find (on eBay)
The wheel hub combo was the cheapest i could find on *aliexpress*

Hope this is of some assistance to others on a quest for ebike parts

The cheapest controllers are not the best. You can get KT controllers with LCDs from the same supplier. They use current control, which is much better for the battery, especially as the battery in post #1 is underrated for the controller chosen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Controller-set/738588_511617563.html

You can also get those controllers from PSWpower in 17A and 20A flavours.

SInce it's only 250W/350, must be a geared motor? Did you find it on ebay.ca or did you order from a Chinese vendor? Hard to find reasonably priced geared motors with wheels on ebay under $200 USD. They just want to sell 15 pound DD wheel. Must be the American fascination with big power. I've been riding a $500 kit since 2015. Never failed to power up and never stopped on a ride. It's like an appliance.

Back in 2015, battery sellers could get away with air shipping. My vendors (both US and China based) put on false labels. I'm glad that they have to go by boat/truck now.

I believe you'll be fine with that kit. Tens of thousands of people in China ride ebikes with those components. With an average salary of $1300/month for white collar workers in the cities, ebike kits probably gotta be under $400.

KT-controllers have worked well for me too, but the price goes up since now you also want the LCD ($40-60 shipped). I don't miss it on my $500 kit.

Hey guys I put the information of where I bought each of the parts from , breadcrumbs to follow.

Picked up a volt / watt hour meter for $10 on eBay today to complete the kit

s-l1600.jpg

100% brand new and high quality
Operates voltage: 4.8V-60V
OV with optional auxiliary battery
Dimension (L*W*T): 8.3 x 4.2 x2.4cm/3.27"x1.65"x0.94"(approx)

Measures:
0-150A, resolution 0.01A;
0-60V, resolution 0.01v;
0-6554W, resolution 0.1w;
0-65Ah,resolution 0.001An;
0-6441Wh,resolution 0.1Wh;
backlit LCD display

d8veh said:
The cheapest controllers are not the best. You can get KT controllers with LCDs from the same supplier. They use current control, which is much better for the battery, especially as the battery in post #1 is underrated for the controller chosen.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Controller-set/738588_511617563.html

You can also get those controllers from PSWpower in 17A and 20A flavours.

I did not see a 64v or higher version on the page I bought this with the idea of upgrading down the road. I should of bought one that could go up to 72v to future proof it tbh

I thought that this controller used current control ? its a sine wave controller , could explain the differences ?

It was the best battery I could find for the money and does fit the controller Amperage specs of 20A if barely for short bursts , the controller does have a adjustable current limiter. My plan is too set it at 17 Amps

The battery and controller output are *about* where I want them to be

15A x 54v = 810w the motor will not do this continuous
17A x 54v = 918w or this
20 x 54w =1080w or this

The three parts fit well together imo with the thumb throttle being the safety switch

docw009 said:
SInce it's only 250W/350, must be a geared motor? Did you find it on ebay.ca or did you order from a Chinese vendor? Hard to find reasonably priced geared motors with wheels on ebay under $200 USD. They just want to sell 15 pound DD wheel. Must be the American fascination with big power. I've been riding a $500 kit since 2015. Never failed to power up and never stopped on a ride. It's like an appliance.

Back in 2015, battery sellers could get away with air shipping. My vendors (both US and China based) put on false labels. I'm glad that they have to go by boat/truck now.

I believe you'll be fine with that kit. Tens of thousands of people in China ride ebikes with those components. With an average salary of $1300/month for white collar workers in the cities, ebike kits probably gotta be under $400.

KT-controllers have worked well for me too, but the price goes up since now you also want the LCD ($40-60 shipped). I don't miss it on my $500 kit.

Found the wheel / geared hub on aliexpress , nice to hear your kit is treating you well the appliance analogy is reassuring !

Can you tell me about the differences between the two controllers ?

ebikes are still not main steam in Canada so there is little public knowledge about the durability or economy of using these.

they are much more durable and economical then I had imagined

It will cost me about 7 cents to charge the 48v 12AH battery that it can travel 35 miles / 57 km for the frugal price of 6.2 cents

This works out to 0.31 cents a mile / 0.108 cents a km

My latest quest is finding the most durable connectors to join everything up with.

Plan to carry the battery in a daypack over the winter so also need to find a quick release connector of strong durability

Tips needed !

I don't think just because an Aliexpress vendor claims the motor is a MXUS product, guarantees it is a MXUS, especially at the prices at that site. With copies and clones so prevalent from that market, I think the only way to be sure one is buying a MXUS, is to buy from the factory direct.

I did not see a 64v or higher version[controller] on the page I bought this with the idea of upgrading down the road. I should of bought one that could go up to 72v to future proof it tbh

I ran a MXUS geared mini for a number of years and know that motor well.
I just wrote this yesterday in another thread;

"As solid as the the MXUS mini is, you need to be a little careful here, there is a limit to what it will take.
A long time ago, a member here, mckeefer, tested a MXUS mini to destruction. He was in the 60's Volts range when the windings melted. I don't remember how many Amps he was running.
For a motor's mass, there is a limit in Watts and for the MXUS mini, it's around 1200 Watts. As Volts go up, the Amps need to come down so not to exceed this level and this means adding Volts will reach a point of "Diminishing Return".
Amps-I have used various controllers on the MXUS and for a "hard hitting" controller like an Infineon, 22 Amps is about the limit before the motor starts to make "hammering noises". Go past 25 Amps and I wouldn't want to place money that the gears will last long. With a "soft-hitting" controller like the new sine waves, 25 Amps would probably be safe.
Volts- I have run between 12S(44V) to 15S(55V) on the MXUS. adding much more than 14S(52V) doesn't really add much speed, especially when one has to start cutting back on the Amps and the motor starts to become "power limited", rather than "RPM Limited".
Shoot for 24 to 25 mph top speed, going for any more on the MXUS mini will kill it".
Motomech

I bought a few MXUS motors from a well-known Chinese reseller. They seemed to be lacking in oomph compared with other similar motors, so I spoke with one of the MXUS sales girls about it. She told me that there were two versions of the motor: One had weak magnets and thin wire for the cheaper Chinese market; the other had stronger magnets and thicker wire for the European market.

It's not generally known, but if you contact any of the girls at MXUS, they'll put a kit together for you and send it direct. That way, you get the full warranty and support.

I payed top dollar for mine because it came in a kit sold by a US vendor. I don't regret it because I didn't know anything about Ebikes at the time and it went together fairly easy. But I took issue when they claimed it was their own proprietary design, a flat-out lie. They are out of business now.
The one installation issue I had was it's width and although all the spokes on the MXUS mini are always installed as all "inners", the spoke heads contacted my frt. brk. caliper.
In the last few years, we have seen a couple of motors offered up that look exactly like the original MXUS mini, but I won't call them clones because the insides are quite different.
One was called the Outrider and was offered by Ebike CA (Grin), but it was a poor performer and they quickly pulled it from their line-up.
The other US based vendor, that I won't name because they are still selling it, offer what I also believe is an "Outrider", but to make matters worse, they sell it as a high-speed version, but don't promote it as such. A real dis-service to the buyer, especially a novice that doesn't understand putting a high-speed mini in a big wheel bike is a bad idea.
A genuine MXUS mini is, I.M.O., the best of all the geared mini's. After I gave mine away and moved to the Q100's, I raced a Q100H (260 rpm) against the tired MXUS(also a 260 speed) many times. On about the same Voltage and controllers, the Q100H would jump it off the line, probably because it's compound gearing has it spinning faster, but the MXUS would always chase it down and power away on top speed. Also, on hills that would slow the Q100 down a couple of mph, the MXUS would hold it's speed.
I look at the 2.3 Kg. MXUS as a slightly stronger Q100H(2.0 Kg.) and I'm pretty sure the factory "water resistant" kit is the nicest mini kit avail. today.

eCue said:
It will cost me about 7 cents to charge the 48v 12AH battery that it can travel 35 miles / 57 km for the frugal price of 6.2 cents

Yes. The e-bike power is super-cheap compared to a car. Human watts tend to be very expensive though.
I can see how tire and brake costs could end up being more expensive per mile than for a typical car though.

My rough calculation is that it will take me about 3-4 years to break even on e-bike costs vs. money saved - at which time it will probably be past time to replace the batteries.

If I eliminated my car, the e-bike could save me a lot of money though.

motomech said:
I don't think just because an Aliexpress vendor claims the motor is a MXUS product, guarantees it is a MXUS, especially at the prices at that site. With copies and clones so prevalent from that market, I think the only way to be sure one is buying a MXUS, is to buy from the factory direct.

I did not see a 64v or higher version[controller] on the page I bought this with the idea of upgrading down the road. I should of bought one that could go up to 72v to future proof it tbh

I ran a MXUS geared mini for a number of years and know that motor well.
I just wrote this yesterday in another thread;

"As solid as the the MXUS mini is, you need to be a little careful here, there is a limit to what it will take.
A long time ago, a member here, mckeefer, tested a MXUS mini to destruction. He was in the 60's Volts range when the windings melted. I don't remember how many Amps he was running.
For a motor's mass, there is a limit in Watts and for the MXUS mini, it's around 1200 Watts. As Volts go up, the Amps need to come down so not to exceed this level and this means adding Volts will reach a point of "Diminishing Return".
Amps-I have used various controllers on the MXUS and for a "hard hitting" controller like an Infineon, 22 Amps is about the limit before the motor starts to make "hammering noises". Go past 25 Amps and I wouldn't want to place money that the gears will last long. With a "soft-hitting" controller like the new sine waves, 25 Amps would probably be safe.
Volts- I have run between 12S(44V) to 15S(55V) on the MXUS. adding much more than 14S(52V) doesn't really add much speed, especially when one has to start cutting back on the Amps and the motor starts to become "power limited", rather than "RPM Limited".
Shoot for 24 to 25 mph top speed, going for any more on the MXUS mini will kill it".
Motomech

Wish i could afford to buy retail as now Im waiting up to 9 weeks according to battery seller who suggested I might want to pay him $100 for air shipping. When the kit arrives I'll start a thread to keep a record of the build and ride quality , have much anticipation.

I read/replied to the thread by the member who destructed his MXUS 350 , at 2500w of juice no less. I think it was he was using 60A at 100v when he cooked the hall sensor , incredible that he got away for 3 weeks or what ever it was.
Hope its MXUS they ship me I think it will be as alliexpress has guarantee that you get what you pay for . I have no idea how good that guarantee is but it sounded good at the time.
Now that controller I don't have much faith in it being a sine wave , it was advertised as 20A 450w and sine wave but i can't find any documentation on it.

Have you seen that 48/64v 450w in sine wave around ?

What do you think about it , is it a square wave or sine wave controller ?

d8veh said:
I bought a few MXUS motors from a well-known Chinese reseller. They seemed to be lacking in oomph compared with other similar motors, so I spoke with one of the MXUS sales girls about it. She told me that there were two versions of the motor: One had weak magnets and thin wire for the cheaper Chinese market; the other had stronger magnets and thicker wire for the European market.

It's not generally known, but if you contact any of the girls at MXUS, they'll put a kit together for you and send it direct. That way, you get the full warranty and support.

Two versions sounds both likely and like a sales pitch by them so who knows , I will test the top speed out and we will find out whats what or what motor I got.. fingers crossed its the real Chinese deal haha

wturber said:
eCue said:

Yes. The e-bike power is super-cheap compared to a car. Human watts tend to be very expensive though.
I can see how tire and brake costs could end up being more expensive per mile than for a typical car though.

My rough calculation is that it will take me about 3-4 years to break even on e-bike costs vs. money saved - at which time it will probably be past time to replace the batteries.

If I eliminated my car, the e-bike could save me a lot of money though.

They will save on food costs as Im biking everywhere for the last 3 years the cars been in driveway and Ibe been riding the mnt bike around town so these ebike is going to make life easy more so grocery store runs i have a 30k round trip.
So for me will be saving sore legs and burnt calories / food costs.

But yeah they are cheaper to operate then I imagined and much more durable , 1200w thru a 250/350w rated motor is good news. Gotta lobe them volts !

motomech said:
I payed top dollar for mine because it came in a kit sold by a US vendor. I don't regret it because I didn't know anything about Ebikes at the time and it went together fairly easy. But I took issue when they claimed it was their own proprietary design, a flat-out lie. They are out of business now.
The one installation issue I had was it's width and although all the spokes on the MXUS mini are always installed as all "inners", the spoke heads contacted my frt. brk. caliper.
In the last few years, we have seen a couple of motors offered up that look exactly like the original MXUS mini, but I won't call them clones because the insides are quite different.
One was called the Outrider and was offered by Ebike CA (Grin), but it was a poor performer and they quickly pulled it from their line-up.
The other US based vendor, that I won't name because they are still selling it, offer what I also believe is an "Outrider", but to make matters worse, they sell it as a high-speed version, but don't promote it as such. A real dis-service to the buyer, especially a novice that doesn't understand putting a high-speed mini in a big wheel bike is a bad idea.
A genuine MXUS mini is, I.M.O., the best of all the geared mini's. After I gave mine away and moved to the Q100's, I raced a Q100H (260 rpm) against the tired MXUS(also a 260 speed) many times. On about the same Voltage and controllers, the Q100H would jump it off the line, probably because it's compound gearing has it spinning faster, but the MXUS would always chase it down and power away on top speed. Also, on hills that would slow the Q100 down a couple of mph, the MXUS would hold it's speed.
I look at the 2.3 Kg. MXUS as a slightly stronger Q100H(2.0 Kg.) and I'm pretty sure the factory "water resistant" kit is the nicest mini kit avail. today.

I have read a lot of post here using the search term MXUS and subsequently read alot of your posts from 5 years ago or what ever it be , thanks for sharing you experience and insight its schooled me lot on the geared MXUS.

Ive read about the Mac geared motor being MXUS's nemesis on race day this makes me want to get one in the future.

eCue said:
They will save on food costs as Im biking everywhere for the last 3 years the cars been in driveway and Ibe been riding the mnt bike around town so these ebike is going to make life easy more so grocery store runs i have a 30k round trip.
So for me will be saving sore legs and burnt calories / food costs.

Yes. Grid power is lots cheaper than food power. Make sure you keep pedaling though. You still want to get some exercise out of it.

I know what you mean , right now biking is the main if not only real exercise I get
So if I end up not pedaling much at all had better start lifting weights and walking again
to stay fit.

As it is I like speed and will likely be pedaling at top speed most the time. Normally travel at 30kmh now add a motor and I might be doing 40 k haha

d8veh said:

The wheel arrived today looking pretty fine it came just as pictured with a black hub on a black rim laced with thick black spokes .

On the bathroom digital scale the fr. wheel weighed in at 8.2 lbs although Im not confident of the scales accuracy at low weights so tested with me on the scale and it weighed in at 8.4 lbs

Hub has these markings on the outside in white - mxus XF07 1705 0223

Inside has four stickers 350w 36v, 26" and direction of travel

Before i new much about ebike motors I asked the seller for the 36v 350w version it appears I may of got just that or its just stickers and not so much the Motors top Voltage.

I dont know what to make of it as I had thought 48v made the 350w motor.

I found the technical details below on another site , which puts the 36v at 370rpm
but it may be incomplete info as it does not mention 48v

Front motor XF07:
Voltage : 24v/36v
Power: 180w-350w
Speed: 180-370rpm
2.8kg

The seller who sold me the xfo7 sells the motors without a wheel as well and the 36v 350w version was $15 more then all the 48 or 24v version which were rated from 180 to 300w and in 3 different RPMs Strange its leading me to believe the 350w 36v version is the export version.

I found out they make a upgraded 350w 36v version of the XF07 as discovered on ebikebc website advertising their 350w mxus kit.

Its rated at 36v 60nm torque 350w nominal 550w max.This makes me think it will perform more like a 450w at 48v , especially since i'll be using that 450w controller.

A inside shot of so called upgraded version (from ebikebc website)

EbikeBC-parts-additional-12-min.jpg

Read the last few paragraphs of the first post also the picture of the wheel has the companies logo on it.
I don't know how our website feels about linking to commercial sales so I won't as have been buying a lot a parts and would be leaving a excessive amount of links .
Bike is nearly done

Arrived a few days ago

L7woQgDR5BR90YRaI4mYySrQtpc_X_Zv22xUlUaXEsbzuwzXbiOdn5NPNpe6vO91LrfnMyTDeND21w3snC7V3Y8krAygL9A0YubUBfgI9NA9EX7TmpdjNYYx3PhtpTJM5iKPBdcSHC2a9Z27ZwkiqTQ5Sz71OOlg5g_coK6qWQON45CW8v30mHQ3eyGFzDOOE-FcoRm9bfXngAUrFuocrtzrmVMuohbMGPLUHZlKhGTn-Ya8oIRINF6WZfZSbAKQQHlGQCdTYX0dzsdDpbcxZx12bHPDeete3_YsqNA0ZH-VF1mAnzmqshghT7j-5NcCWYDsiH4Z32YMPqiR43Ond7VNpTfkDCpl6eR3iCsQJYrAxcwiBB9LrUsPtFmQZNOJmXoSlsO-4m0lWy2VzLvpf-b_O8pm4-vubrtQYIk6GaGBynWQ1czsBstievCGvXg-s4ztu4LGfOm5KWP1cfZUKMUd6j4PsPKQNiddmikOI5Gqli0QQHkB7H2negoNc7M1EvBpzyCDamzRpvYBWiS8juMmxlGR_mGDXvMsDHsdrAj3mTaoFe3BOLwiibOIlk2POcCPAMCodIvRV0zLTowF4AYdj9ZGvXAzMJcai_VS6EptJ5IRFA9Q4Hg-Fwe1QzhfD_oFvuNeQMWkr_bNIA9ezLEvcXH5=s1003-no

That's how my MXUS geared mini was laced, all the spokes were installed as "inners".

Probably a assemble line short cut I never noticed it until now , they did lace it tight as a drum though.
I just checked the wheels trueness and its dead straight and spins ridiculously easy spinning sleekly and smooth like a regular wheel. If not for the weight would not know its a hub motor. Its the first time I spun it and I'm impressed. Never thought they freewheeled so well. Bonus :)

No, because of the width of that hub, the spokes are laced that way to provide max. clearance between them and the hydro. brk. caliper. On my install, they kissed the caliper slightly and I had to take a Dremel tool to the spoke heads.
I must say, the MXUS whl. ASM was the most sturdy whl. I have used. I don't think I ever layed a wrench on it for the many 1,000's of miles I had it.
Yours is looking more like the real deal all the time.

What is the difference between the XF 07 , and the XF 08 ?

Q100c cst weighs in at 2.1/2.2 Kg's
and
The little MXUS 08 I got recently ( Rear , screw on freewheel version ) made in 2015 by the looks of it, weighs 2.9 Kg's on the scale .
Quite a large amount of weight for a Mini motor when compared to the Q100c

Does that almost 2 pounds more give it more ability to handle larger wattages/amps ?

Somewhere I read the MXUS XF 08 should only use up to 22 amps max.

Back