Blue EVG bike stolen in Orange County

ez-Ebike

1 W
Hi old friends,

My heart is broken, my ebike from this thread https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35895 was stolen from outside Trader Joes today. They cut the lock right in front of the store. I had both of my cellman battery packs in it too. Almost 15000 miles on that bike.

Checking Craigslist and filed a police report. The security camera owners are supposed to contact me when they find info. Any other websites you can recommend to look for stolen bikes?

This bike is such a one of a kind - I would imagine it would stick out like a sore thumb in any online ad.
SNC00254.jpg

Ouch. I really hope you get your beautiful bike back soon.
And maybe the thief has some bad stuff come their way.
Real bad stuff. :evil: Lots of it.

That sux... esp as they will probably strip all the pretty custom stuff off or spray paint it black or something. Bike thieves can rot in hell. But on a selfish note.. seeing yours is inspiring me to do something pretty with the ones in out rental fleet. Normally I would never sell one out of the precious dwindling stock, but if you can't find one locally maybe I can set you up with another one to start from.

Beautiful bike, and sorry to hear about it. You might post on imtbtrails, which is local to OC, although the forum is replete with e-haters.

Thank you gents. I will sign up for the imtbtrails forum (and post delicately).

Super lame!

The thief is probably going to want a charger. You could ask an ebike store in the area, like Electric Bicycle Center in Fullerton, to be on the lookout for anyone asking about a charger for em3ev.

There's the Los Angeles Electric Bicycle Club on Facebook. You could join them and post a message there.

I had to google what Trader Joes was, states its a grocery store.

What kind of U-Lock were you using?
What was the bicycle rack situation like? Packed full, empty, half full.

Also, that bike sticks out like a single neon sign in the dark dark desert. This is why I prefer my ebikes to look like a regular bicycle. I wonder if you would have benefited from a gps tracking unit, and a movement alarm sent to your cell phone. So many open ended questions here.

Sorry for your loss

I don't remember the brand of the U-lock... it's missing with the bike.
The bike rack is about 15 steps away from the front door of the store. Dozens of people walking by at any moment. It's an awful bike rack, I should have used the one next to the coffee shop a bit further away. No other bikes were there.

I want a bike that sticks out, because I don't want to be hit by a car. That's my biggest fear. I'd rather lose a bike than not be seen and run over. Truly, people do not know how to drive around here.

....and where is "here"?

Just wondering what the population of the city is.

Also some bike racks are lame I agree, whether its how its made (the design) or they were using not thick metal. I saw one bike rack that was bolted together :lol: Some U locks lock only on one side, while other U locks like the Kryptonite NYC Forgetaboutit lock on both sides. But with a cordless angle grinder, it can be cut in about 1 and a half minutes per side. I cant see a way for them to get around the sparks and noise it makes, unless they came up with a sound proof bag which all thats needed would be sound proof foam, hide it in a throw away back pack. Or it could be as simple as cutting one bar on the bike rack and 2 crack heads carrying it to their stolen U haul truck.

Tis a shame about your bike.

What are you future build plans?

Yes you are right - I have seen bike racks around here that are bolted to the ground with loose/missing nuts on the rack. You basically could steal the bike and the rack in seconds if your van/truck/uhaul is close.

"Here" is the area from Irvine through Garden Grove and Westminster. A lot of foreigners with lots of money, lots of luxury German cars, a bad combination...

I made 3 bikes like this, one for me and for one for both my parents. My dad recently passed away and so my mother said I should use his one - I painted that one green (his fav color). The issue is I don't have a 52 sprocket gear to attach to the pedals like the blue bike. I lucked out in finding one that had bolt holes that matched the EVG bolt pattern on the EVG sprocket. Both sprockets were bolted together with spare grade 8.8 bolts I had on hand.

In the mean time I went old school and posted reward signs on the local bike paths, and craigslist. Today I spoke with an e-bike shop around here and asked them to look out for someone buying a charger for a battery they don't know specs on. Next up are the pawn shops, ebay, etc...

ez-Ebike said:
Yes you are right - I have seen bike racks around here that are bolted to the ground with loose/missing nuts on the rack. You basically could steal the bike and the rack in seconds if your van/truck/uhaul is close.

"Here" is the area from Irvine through Garden Grove and Westminster. A lot of foreigners with lots of money, lots of luxury German cars, a bad combination...

I made 3 bikes like this, one for me and for one for both my parents. My dad recently passed away and so my mother said I should use his one - I painted that one green (his fav color). The issue is I don't have a 52 sprocket gear to attach to the pedals like the blue bike. I lucked out in finding one that had bolt holes that matched the EVG bolt pattern on the EVG sprocket. Both sprockets were bolted together with spare grade 8.8 bolts I had on hand.

In the mean time I went old school and posted reward signs on the local bike paths, and craigslist. Today I spoke with an e-bike shop around here and asked them to look out for someone buying a charger for a battery they don't know specs on. Next up are the pawn shops, ebay, etc...
That's certainly a beautiful bike. Don't give up hope -- I had a bike stolen once and recovered it, so it is possible.

If you're looking for "strange" parts, you might call Chris at Alpha Cycles in Vista; he has a plethora of unused old stuff.

I really hope you get your bike back. I hear a lot of homeless folks steal bikes and have them recycled for cash.

I'll keep an eye out in the Buena Park / Fullerton area.

I'm sorry to hear that you had your bike stolen. I will keep an eye out in LA in case the bike travels North.

Well I'll be damned - this was found just 4 days after the theft:

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/11/16/a-half-loaded-gun-an-underground-bunker-and-1000-hidden-bikes-found-at-fountain-valley-homeless-camp/

That is exactly the direction the guy headed per the surveillance video I just received. Hopefully I can talk to someone at the city PD about reviewing this stash of bikes. My spidy sense is tingling...

Back