Series hybrid ebike--who has built one?

flat tire

100 kW
I'm talking about a ebike with a combustion or other motor running a generator to supply power which could be used to recharge the battery and / or augment the propulsion. Most of the time you would be better served just by carrying more battery or bringing a charger, but maybe someone has done a cool, really long range hybrid bike.

Anyone? :D

This search might have some info, but I don't know that there's any completed projects using an ICE. Some use the person as an "engine" to drive the generator, burning food as fuel.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=seri*+hybrid*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I don't think it shows in the search but there was a member Lowracer (since disappeared along with his videos/etc) that built a human-engined serial hybrid trike, and rode that around.

I don't know if Augidog's is parallel or serial, but you can look up his bike and check it out.

There's others that have put generators or solar panels on bikes, trikes, or trailers, which are also series hybrid, but they don't come up in the search above, and because they generally don't use the term in their posts they are hard to find in a single search, or to narrow down in a search very far (takes a lot of manual looking thru results to find them).

Sorry, I should mention that I searched and saw the discussion, but actual builds are much less forthcoming. I think augi's build was parallel.

Model aircraft engines for both the combustion motor and generator are probably the most diy-practical power source for a lightweight build. Unless you have a huge battery or RC lipo (and don't care about long cycle life) you will only need a small motor and generator to avoid exceeding 1C charge. The motor and generator should probably be capable of at least 2C to give plenty of propulsive overhead when charging.

flat tire said:
Model aircraft engines for both the combustion motor and generator are probably the most diy-practical power source for a lightweight build.
I am eagerly awaiting free-piston generators; they will be much lighter, more efficient and more reliable than today's crankshaft-to-a-generator systems.

Back