opinions about this 500watt model & hill performance

jpwalton

1 mW
Does anyone have any opinions on how well this Voltbike Elegant will handle hills?

8fun 500 Watt rear wheel hub (geared) w/48v battery.

Context: I don't need it to fly up mountains, but I live in San Francisco and want it to do a decent job on city hills. In particular, I need it to provide an easy ride up the hill we live on: 1.5 blocks w/ 16% grade. Steep enough that its a killer on a normal bike.

My reference is my 700w BBS02 mid drive kit w/52v battery. It crushes this hill. I'm looking to get an ebike for my wife, and I expect the 500w wheel motor won't do as well, but looking for opinions.

Thanks!

unless your wife is under 100 pounds, i wouldn't expect a 500w geared hub motor to survive climbing a 16% hill. 8fun is Bafang's western name brand. Bafang make a good motor, and if you modified the controller for more power, it might actually make it up the hill. but i doubt the motor would survive more than a few trips. Also, the battery used on a cheap bike like that likely wouldn't handle the high amp output needed with a modified controller used to power up that hill.

the best motor for taking on a hill like that is the one you already know, the BBS02. If it was me, i'd upgrade to a BBSHD, and give the wife your old BBS02. :mrgreen:

Drunkskunk said:
the best motor for taking on a hill like that is the one you already know, the BBS02. If it was me, i'd upgrade to a BBSHD, and give the wife your old BBS02. :mrgreen:
Now this is a good idea.

Or at least get another BBS02 but not the Voltbike.

Thanks for the thoughts. The BBS02 hand-me-down idea is a great one :)

Yeah my first instinct is to do another BBS build, but getting the bike itself is a bit of a hassle...

You can buy her a bike like the one I used for my first conversion ..

I traveled to many different bike shops in the SF Bay Area and the Lux was the strongest looking frame with the biggest and thickest rear dropouts compared to other bikes in its price range, A must for a strong rear hub motor. It would work well with your current BBS02 , and Has great Stand over Height, as with any bike in its price range you will want to do some upgrades .

My first conversion ...

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 1#p1077497

jpwalton said:
Thanks for the thoughts. The BBS02 hand-me-down idea is a great one :)

Yeah my first instinct is to do another BBS build, but getting the bike itself is a bit of a hassle...

I think it would probably do fine. I looked at the review video (skip to ride at 21+ mins in) and the rider did not seem to have any issue going up a hill from a standstill (on grass?). Maybe contact the reviewer Court with your question?

It would work, it can climb 16% for awhile. But SF might have that grade a hill for a bit too long.

Get the mid drive, kit or complete bike, for SF.

Or do the 20" rear wheel, 5000w bike thing.

Back