relation between Motor power and battery power

Enochkranthi

1 µW
Can anyone tell me the relation between Motor power and battery power because I have a 24V 250W motor and a 36V 10Ah battery pack. Can I use this battery pack to power my motor or will it damage the motor? Or does anything depend on the motor controller

The controller will limit how much goes to the motor. The battery needs to be able to supply more than that.
10Ah is the capacity of the battery, not the output current rating. Most batteries of that size should have no problem driving a 250W motor.

Enochkranthi said:
Can anyone tell me the relation between Motor power and battery power because I have a 24V 250W motor and a 36V 10Ah battery pack. Can I use this battery pack to power my motor or will it damage the motor? Or does anything depend on the motor controller
You can use that system.

The controller will drop the voltage down to appropriate levels to drive the motor. (Good controllers actually regulate the current, rather than the voltage - because current equates to torque.) There is a risk you can overspeed and/or overpower the motor with a higher voltage battery (or higher current controller) but good controllers let you limit current and speed.

The only potential issue is if the controller has an HVC (high voltage cutoff) that is below the 36v pack's voltage range--if so, the controller will disable itself. AFAICR some of the Currie/etc stuff did this.

I recently upgraded my old sla 24v rear direct drive hub bike.by putting a 36v battery on it.Absolutely fine ,has much more torque now.Feels so much zippier ,climbs hills easier. The battery cuts out at 33v as it should .Thats probably the battery bms so u wont damage it. As suggested by someone on pedelecs. i replaced the 24v led display, with a £5 36v settable volt meter/batt charge indicator.Otherwise the 24v one will always show as full.As already said,the controller will be designed to handle 24v or 36v and will regulate the amps.

It does depend on the controller. Its possible that components inside like the capacitors are rated for less than 42v, the full charge voltage of 36v.

So one possibility is that the controller will shut itself off to protect itself, as AW said. Another is that it goes pop, and you killed it hooking up 36v. The last possibility is it runs fine on 36v. Personally, I'd lean towards giving it a try. If you blow your controller, its not like you had a battery you could use on it anyway.

The motor will be fine, running double the wattage it had been. So 36v 10 amps is only 360w, no problem with the motor. I'm assuming your controller is rated to deliver 10 amps max. It might say so on it, but maybe in Chinese.

If you do end up popping the controller, look for one with 36v 15 amps, which would be in the double 250w ballpark. (36x15= 540watts)

Back