looking for tire recommendations for 1200 watt bike

ClintBX

1 kW
Hi ESFMs,

I'm looking for some good tire recommendations for 48v 1200w Ebike. I'm getting pretty tired of changing it every 6 months or so because of tread wear. and I spent an hour and a half changing my schwalbe big Apple tire because it started cracking on the side walls and was effecting my ride. My bike had this annoying justling feeling especially on the higher speeds. At first, I thought my wheel needed trying and then I noticed the cracks and a very subtle bubble around the valve.

I only just installed that schwalbe a few months ago. So, I was surprised when I discovered the side walls cracking. The tread still has a profound profile. I'm not too sure why it happened but I did notice that the side walls on these are thinner than other tires I'm used to. Almost papery.

I checked my tubes too. I use 2 Thorn resistant tubes in my back tire for picture proofing. They are still in excellent shape.

Anyway, my question is, what are your tire recommendations for my setup and usage needs?

I'm riding with 26" rims.
Mostly ride on roads, pavement and bitumen
Do a lot of food delivery with this bike and have a front pannier
It's also a rear hub motor 1200w and the 48v battery is a triangle type situated closer to the middle of the bike on too of the frame
And I probably average 50+ kms per day.

Clinton

To reduce wear use tires with the hardest rubber you can find and run max pressure. Bike tires fare poorly for mileage, especially on ebikes because the compound is very soft like the tread on your shoe. I don't have any specific recommendations because I ride mostly off road and only use performance tires with no worries about life.

Your tire failure sounds like maybe the tire was quite old, possibly sat around on a shelf for too many years.
Many people have given favorable reports on the Big Apple tires. If you want really tough tires and are willing to trade off for extra weight and a lot more rolling resistance, you could go to 19" motorcycle tires.
See: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458&start=100&hilit=tires

fechter said:
Your tire failure sounds like maybe the tire was quite old, possibly sat around on a shelf for too many years.
Many people have given favorable reports on the Big Apple tires. If you want really tough tires and are willing to trade off for extra weight and a lot more rolling resistance, you could go to 19" motorcycle tires.
See: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458&start=100&hilit=tires

I ordered it around August last year. I maybe waited one month before I swapped over to it. By the time I got the road with this tire, it was around October. Is it likely that I was sold ooold stock?

ClintBX said:
fechter said:

I ordered it around August last year. I maybe waited one month before I swapped over to it. By the time I got the road with this tire, it was around October. Is it likely that I was sold ooold stock?

Yeah - really old stock, or somehow stored in poor conditions. Bike tires should be good for 3-5 years (possibly more) if stored in reasonable conditions.

Yeah, that tire that cracked must have been ancient.

You should be getting 6 months out of even el cheapo novarra tires, often branded bell or whatever. So if you want to just pay less for 6 months, head for Walmart. Definitely should be wearing out the tread first, barring a spike in the road.

Find a better vendor for the next big apple, or hookworm.

Back