ES Crowd-Funding (Ebike Rentals/Sharing)

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Had a thought...

This is where folks say "Oh Oh"... so feel free to express any "concerns"/etc... please?

Have been working up a business plan... See ES thread "What will it take to make ebikes, More mainstream ?":
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=88959&p=1357133#p1357133

In a nutshell, that anybody/EVerybuddy might invest on this ebike rental business...

To start off with one ebike rental biz in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, then expand to all over the place/all over the world. So EVentually many thousands of electric bikes "in play".

BUT, so far have been tapping about buying one whole electric bike to be rented out (by others already "in the bike rental biz"...) AND BUT... watt about just a small share in this new business?

Like... $10 bux? ... $100 bux... multiples of $100 bux? ... or some thousands of bux?

My idea again is to just start buying electric bikes and having them shipped to local bike shops/etc that already are in the business of renting bikes. Where MY suspicion is that their electric bikes will prove to be their most popular/most frequently rented bikes?

And earn a share of the profits by "spreading the risks" (in "Investor-Speak").

Watt say please?

That is what is making a success here in Montreal.

21.jpg

Guided tours, day or hour rentals. Popular with tourists and locals. Selling many too, with other models for sale. Repair shop, spare parts, pretty quick.

dyad.jpg

Axcess%20Electric%20Bikes%202016%20%20logo.png

(They say:)
Axcess Electric Bikes is an independent electric bike store founded by Director Peter Blackman in 2010.

As Devon’s leading e-bike retailer, we are committed to providing our clients with high-quality products and thoughtful customer service. We also have a store in Cornwall, and distribute online to the UK…

As an independent business, we aim to provide the very best in bicycle technology, while maintaining a high level of professionalism and service. We handpick our stock from manufacturers across the globe and even sell our very own Axcess brand, which has been a popular choice for our customers time and time again.

... and here:
https://www.axcess-electric-bikes.co.uk/business-opportunities/

Franchises For Sale

Axcess-Electric-Bikes are delighted to be offering for sale our franchise business packages. Planning to initially expand in the South England, we are seeking likeminded individuals wishing to invest into a great business opportunity in the very fast growing electric bike market and work with us to expand the Axcess-Electric-Bikes customer service and ethos.

We are especially keen to hear from people who wish to start a business in areas local to us, in the following post codes. PL, TQ, BH, BA, RG, PO (1-29). We will not open franchises that are less than approximately 50 miles apart.

"even sell our very own Axcess brand"... Whereas, for this ES Rental biz, I'd suggest just picking one "popular" bike as made and sold already by an ebike co watts been in the business for many years? Like eg that new electric folder from Brompton, the UK cycle manufacturer... See "Brand Recognition". :)
https://www.brompton.com/Brompton-Electric

MadRhino said:
That is what is making a success here in Montreal.

Gotcha. So. Hard to pedal? :mrgreen: The reason I ask is, MY understanding re introducing any "new technology" successfully is to just mask it in some existing, "known", "conventional" technology?

So I'd be looking for a design of "bicycle" that "looks like a "normal" bike" where at least any local bike store could repair/maintain the "bike bits". PLUS any "conventional" bike rider appreciates bikes that are "lighter weight" as easier to pedal from stops, etc... eg the new frames and wheels made using carbon... Hehe... Having said this, I'm still a "steel guy" in terms of reliability and repair and maintenance versus carbon. :)

Yes?

Nobody does pedal them, but they can be pedaled. They have no visible brand. People know them by the rental shop name. We see them everywhere, of all sort of colours. Locals end up buying one after renting a few times with friends.

They are more than half the ebikes that we meet in the city. They are good to carry a passenger, to climb the mountain on throttle alone, range for a 2 hours guided tour passing by the top of the mountain, not much maintenance.

For rental, they are ideal. Profit has to be good, for the shop is in a large place on a tourist street where the square foot is very expansive.

If you want to start an ebike rental business, that is probably your best bet. They sell them basic 1000$, probably buying them 500$ in China.

Yah, yah... Seen in a "bike" shop in BC:

00K0K_f7lHiVKpo39_600x450.jpg

"Problem" I see... all around town... are these Chineesy-quality "bikes" with broken and missing plastic bits. With "bandage" solution "repairs" involving lots of sticky tape. :lol: :roll:

Not the same at all. Many are selling those here, yet they are catching only a small part of the market, with neverending repairs.

The small one I posted pics, are robust and much lighter. Very simple and reliable. Modular design: you buy the basic, then can replace the SLA box for the Li box, add a front Li box... 10 minutes upgrades, 1 hour repair/service. They have half the ebike business in Montreal because of that.

`Couple of reference points perhaps?

Seen here, from last month:
https://techcrunch.com/2018/01/17/didi-platform-bike-sharing-threat/

In part:
Didi Chuxing is a mobile transportation platform, offering a full range of commuting options to 400 cities in China. The company offers a full range of mobile tech-based mobility options for close to 300 million users across over 400 Chinese cities, including taxi hailing, private car hailing, Hitch (social ride-sharing), DiDi Chauffeur, DiDi Bus, DiDi Test Drive, DiDi Car Rental, and DiDi Enterprise Solutions.

... and also from last month...
Didi continues pivot into two wheeled mobility with beta test of electric bike rental:
https://technode.com/2018/01/11/did...-two-wheel-market-with-e-bike-rental-efforts/

Begins:
Chinese ride-hailing behemoth Didi is beta-testing its electric bike rental service in South China, a person with knowledge of the matter told TechNode. Didi is said to have won the initial support of at least three cities.

The firm is expected to develop its own bike rental brand, or potentially a separate app, with an access point from within Didi’s main app. Didi plans to launch the electric bike rental product in at least three cities within future months, the source added.

8)

MadRhino said:
... with neverending repairs.

Hehe... `Xactly. Not a fan of repairs... :mrgreen:

The small one I posted pics, are robust and much lighter. Very simple and reliable. Modular design: you buy the basic, then can replace the SLA box for the Li box, add a front Li box... 10 minutes upgrades, 1 hour repair/service. They have half the ebike business in Montreal because of that.

Wait... watt? Buy new then immediately "upgrade"? I'll suggest "better" to buy "complete" bikes and "modern style" bikes watt already come with lithium cells for example. "Off the shelf" stuff. Yes? And again, from a "known" bike manufacturer like Brompton, Trek et al... :wink:

Some are riding them basic until the SLA are finished, those who can afford are buying them with all the options. The idea is that the entry market is cheap, but has a good base that can be upgraded when clients are ready to spend more. Because they are all the same base, they are serviced quick and all spare parts are stock.

Ebike shops are many here. They come and go bankrupt, selling dozens of all sort of models. But, half the ebikes in the city are all the same small scooter from one shop. People are keeping them a long time. In the used ebike adds, you can buy many different ebikes for cheap, but when you see one of them small scooters, it is selling almost the same as new, and gone in a few days.

MadRhino said:
Nobody does pedal them, but they can be pedaled.

Hehe... Ooops. "Pedals" watt function about as well as the human appendix? :)

MY first experience riding electric two-wheelers had two 12V 10Ah SLAs in series... It was like a game in how to avoid discharging the batteries as much as possible. "Pedal" (kick, the standup scoot had no pedals) from stops... crouch down to lower wind resistance at speed and against strong head winds... Almost zero "off roading", preferring smooth(er) pavements... Also, "smaller" diameter 12" wheels watt "spun up quickly" for fast accelerations from stops when I wanted just to "show off". :lol:

"Ebike shops are many here. They come and go bankrupt"... Yah, I'm sure it's cheaper to "go bankrupt" than to honour any warranty repairs. :wink: Personally have preferred buying "more expensive stuff" as a fair trade for being usually more reliable and cheaper to repair and maintain. :wink:

I know. Cyclists are not buying those small scooters. Cyclists are not buying ebikes, very few of them. Old cyclists are buying ebikes, most of them cheap and let them sleep in a garage after a few rides. Very few are buying quality MTB ebikes 5 to 8 k$, folders are not popular here.

The success of this business is because they are not targeting cyclists. They are going for the tourists, and the local teenagers who would buy a gasser. Basic has 4 SLA, full upgrade has 1.5 Kwh Li. And they climb the mountain with 2 teens on, reliably.

"folders are not popular here"... Interesting. With a "target market" as an urban commuter, I'd a thought folders would be the "ultimate" for taking on pubic transport vehicles... PLUS that whole "safety" thing where ya can bring the bike indoors for security and charging and for warmth (battery) vs leaving in the outdoor "environment" including weather and thieves.

(Sorry. My spellchecker "misbehaving"...)

I don’t know why. Folders are not common in Montreal, they never been. Trikes too, are very few.

MadRhino said:
Some are riding them basic until the SLA are finished, those who can afford are buying them with all the options. The idea is that the entry market is cheap, but has a good base that can be upgraded when clients are ready to spend more. Because they are all the same base, they are serviced quick and all spare parts are stock.

Ebike shops are many here. They come and go bankrupt, selling dozens of all sort of models. But, half the ebikes in the city are all the same small scooter from one shop. People are keeping them a long time. In the used ebike adds, you can buy many different ebikes for cheap, but when you see one of them small scooters, it is selling almost the same as new, and gone in a few days.

Any clue as to the source/make of that particular bike? No doubt a lot of tourists/casuals rent them because they look like fun, similar to Hawaii where tourists rent the gas scooters because it looks like a fun way to spend the afternoon, especially if they are in town without a rental car.

Since they have no visible brand, it is difficult to search for them. Yet I believe I saw one on Alibaba a few years ago. Here is a clear view:

layer_4_8_1.png

MadRhino said:
I don’t know why. Folders are not common in Montreal, they never been. Trikes too, are very few.

Hehe... Meanwhile, yah got other governments throwing money at buyers of electric cargo bike buyers, (Quote book author/"futurist" Wm. Gibson "The future is already here, just not evenly distributed". ;) ):

Oslo Offers Citizens $1,200 to Buy an E-Bike:
https://www.citylab.com/transportat...y-city-grant-for-electric-cargo-bikes/515100/

Oslo is so keen to get people on bicycles that starting Wednesday it will offer residents a free handout of up to $1,200 to buy electric cargo bikes.

8)

Pedego's usually rent for about $14.00 an hour, $50.00 USD a day, they must hate seeing the bike share companies like JUMP moving in with Ebike rental at $2.00 for 30 minutes.

Back