new E-bike Motobecane Fantom 29er

PST

10 µW
Hey guys, I'm new here. I'm trying to build my first e-bike. After a lot of deliberation, I believe I have settled on this Motobecane Fantom 29er from bikesdirect.com: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/29er-mountain-bikes/fantom29-xt-tcs-mountainbikes.htm

I would like to goose it up with a BBSHD so I'm trying to make sure everything is compatible. Does anyone know if the bottom bracket for this frame is compatible with the BBSHD? I've googled around and searched all the forums and can't find that anyone has built this and posted about it before.

Any other suggestions or concerns would be much appreciate as well.

Thanks!

google motobecane. I found your answer and i am not internet savvy. Go to their website and you will find your answer.

you found whether or not this frame's BB is a BSA or PF or something else? I've googled for days and cannot confirm one way or another.

This may or not be relevant since I didn't try google, but I wasn't able to install a BBS02 on a Niner aluminum frame because the motor contacted the frame in such a manner that it would need about 5 mm of spacers on the "drive" side. This would exacerbate the already horrendous centering of the motor.

CRANK / BB TruVativ FireX 175mm, 22/32/44T / TruVativ GXP external bearing, 68mm

slacker said:
CRANK / BB TruVativ FireX 175mm, 22/32/44T / TruVativ GXP external bearing, 68mm

I'm sorry, does something here indicate that this BB is in fact a JIS, BSA, BB30, PF30 or PF41? I am under the impression that the BBSHD requires one of these standards to be compatible with the frame's BB.

Here is a photo of the Bottom Bracket

Attachments

• IMG_2351.JPG
    IMG_2351.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,583
Hollowtech or GXP are fine as they use the BSA shell with int dia of 33/34mm.
Sometimes you may have to clean up the shell interior due to welding to allow the BBS assembly to slide through.

2old said:
This may or not be relevant since I didn't try google, but I wasn't able to install a BBS02 on a Niner aluminum frame because the motor contacted the frame in such a manner that it would need about 5 mm of spacers on the "drive" side. This would exacerbate the already horrendous centering of the motor.

Thanks for your feedback. Was that a Niner FS or hardtail?

Was the issue the chain stays flaring out further than most bikes?

Hardtail, and contact with the drive-side chainstay was the issue. Tried it on a 2000 GT Zaskar and it fit perfectly. Can't believe that Bafang hasn't done anything about the non-symmetry. The drive-side crank is about 10mm further from the chainstay than the left.

Hey PST.. just wondering if you ever followed thru on that 29er FS? I've got one that I'd like to do myself!

Back