New build, need opinions

iXvXi

10 mW
I'll start off by saying sorry for the lengthy post. I haven't built an e-bike in a few years so I'd like some opinions from some more experienced members before I start with my new build.

My budget is $2k-$3k usd

I will be using the cyclone 3000w mid drive motor for this build.

For the battery I was thinking of getting 12 18.5v ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 5S1P 30C XT90 batteries and wiring them in series/parallel for 74v 24ah pack. Ultimately I would like to install a bms and have a 1 charger solution for the pack but I'm not entirely sure about where to start with that.

My questions:

Does anyone see an issue with the battery choice I picked? Better solutions maybe?

It it possible to have a 1 charger solution for faster charging with this setup?

Any recommendations for a bms?

Aside from bike upgrades to support a powerful motor, does anyone know of anything I will need additionally? Below I will update my to buy list with what I believe is everything I will need.

Buy list:

Bike & upgrades (not sure yet)
Cyclone motor/controller
Chain & chain breaker & master link
Batteries & XT90 connectors & pigtails
Bluetooth Bms (need opinions/advice)
Charger (need opinions/advice)
Batt man e-bike amp hour fuel gauge
Battery bag or similar
Good set of tires and tubes
Phone charger & mount

Already own:

Solder & iron
Shrink tubing
Wire strippers
Tools etc.

Last but not least; should I just save myself the trouble and spend more money to get one of these? https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron/ with the pedal option (only problem I see with this is it doesn't look very legal)

I don't know anything about mid-drives, but I have some experience w/ low-Voltage, low C-rate LiPoly packs.
I would say, in general, the fewer "Bricks" that will meet the design goals, the better. Not only does this help reduce the enevable "Rat's nest" of wires, it can open more charger solution options. And this means larger capacity bricks, but of course, larger bricks have to fit the space available.
I'm not up on what's available in Zippy and Turnigy 20C and 30C because I use the Multistar 10C which is available in 10,000 mAh, 16,000 mAh and 20,000 mAh capacities. I don't know what your discharge rate requirements will be, but I do know of some members here who use Large Multistar packs w/ powerful systems, w/ the idea that the larger packs will allow maximising the 10-C rate w/out too much sag.
My approach to bulk charging my packs is to use an industrial grade Mean Well HLG LED power supply and to ck and balance ea. brick w/ it's own passive Battery Medic. But my packs max out at 14S/20,000 mAh consisting of 4) MS 6S/10,000 mAh configured 2S/2P. This is easy to do because the HLG-320-54A PS will adjust up close to 60 V and I only need 4) Battery Medics for the very rare occassion I need to pull the whole pack down.
At 72 Volts, one bulk charger solution might be the the Cycle Satiator from Grin;
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/chargers/cycle-satiator-72v-5a.html
although I would have hoped it's power rating would be a little higher.
Assuming that you replaced the 12) 8,000 mAh Flightmax bricks w/ 6) 16,000 mAh Multistars, you would only need 6) battery Medics.
Not exactly a "low-buck" solution, but assuming your pack will not be easily removable, this type of approach would be the closest to a "plug and play" solution you could have. That, and for a number of reasons I wouldn't go into here, it's always better to not have to "break the string" when charging LiPoly packs.
100_0064.JPG
Charging my 12S/20,000 mAh pack w/ Mean Well HLG qand 4) Battery Medics.

There's nothing legal about a cyclone unless you're planning to use it off-road exclusively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

Legality on high powered ebikes comes down to intelligence. I find it highly unlikely that a police officer would pull you over just to check that you are only pulling 10 amps through a 750w BBS02 if youre toodling down the street at 24 mph, wearing a helmet in a class 1 bike lane. However, If youre doing 35, without pedaling, up a hill, in california......

As far as battery options. Im tired of Lipo, the rats nest, the fire risk, just...Yuck... 18650 is my next choice. Im sure there are prebuilt bricks out there you could get in your voltage range. Try electro bike world for custom built solutions for that.

https://electrobikeworld.com/products/l60-triangle-battery-60v-173ah-panasonic-lithium-ion

20s7p worth of 18650 should do it.

Kinni420 said:
There's nothing legal about a cyclone unless you're planning to use it off-road exclusively.

Would be perfectly legal in Arizona if operated at 20 mph or below. Also in Texas if built so if the system was designed so it couldn't power the bike past 20 mph.

Kinni420 said:
Legality on high powered ebikes comes down to intelligence. I find it highly unlikely that a police officer would pull you over just to check that you are only pulling 10 amps through a 750w BBS02 if youre toodling down the street at 24 mph, wearing a helmet in a class 1 bike lane. However, If youre doing 35, without pedaling, up a hill, in california......

Yep. The "eye test" seems to trump legal definitions right now and probably will for the near future. If you look and act pretty much like a regular bike, it is unlikely you'll be bothered. If you don't look and act mostly like a regular bike (for instance legal e-bikes that look like mopeds or electric bike/motorcycles going 40 mph), then it's probably a good idea that your "e-bike" be compliant with the laws that apply in your city, state, or country because you are more likely to attract the attention of local law enforcement.

Back