Can anyone Compare Contrast current versions of MAC/BMC/Ezee

dzecs

100 µW
After doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere, I think I've settled on a moderate power, geared front hub motor for my cargo bike conversion. The three that I see mentioned the most are the BMC, the MAC and the Ezee. I have had a hard time finding any threads that compare the current versions of these motors directly. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

In case it helps, the project is for a front loading cargo bike (bakfiet/long john). Set up will be used exclusively in Pedelec mode, not even sure I'm going to install a throttle at all. Max speed need not be above 20 mph, motor is mostly for getting going and for hills (generally short moderate grade hills). The bike will have 300 lbs + in weight. Wheels are 20", with hydraulic discs. Middrive isn't an option with the frame. Prefer front hub for a number of reasons but one is that I just had a nuvinci rear hub wheel custom built for the project and I would like to keep it that way.

From what I recall, they are very similar. But parts for teh MAC are likely easier to get hold of, should anything go wrong. (some parts between them might be interchangeable, but I don't know that for sure).

I know you say it's not possible with the frame, but something you might consider is using one of these as a middrive to drive your NV wheel via the pedal chain. It's been done a few ways, though Crossbreak's version that remodels some of the internal parts and drives teh axle rather than teh shell is the most interesting to me. (but the least likely that I'd be able to do myself).

What reason will no middrive work with your frame?

So, the frame is a Yuba Supermarche, if you look carefully at pictures of the frame, the chainstays are eccentric in a very odd way that I do not think would fit a mid-drive, in addition the tube that goes anteriorly from the bottom bracket is horizontal with the ground and already quite low, having a 6 inch motor hanging down would make for an easy obstacle to hit.

I was admiring those haulers at the LBS when they got their first one in, they look sturdy. It looks like the BB height isn't especially low to where I myself would be worried about hitting stuff, think a BBSHD would present any problems on one?

Attachments

• IMG_2354.JPG
    IMG_2354.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 956
There are a lot of ways a middrive can be made, and they don't have to be mounted on the bottom bracket or hang below the bike.

If you were to mount the motor in front of the tire behind the seatpost just below the seatstays, it'd clear everything I can see in pics a google image search finds. How large a drive would fit depends on exactly how big that space is. Not sure if the MAC would fit there or not; you'd have to measure it.

Another space a motor could go is in the frame just forward of there, just behind the cargo area.

In either case it could have a chain to the cranks without altering the righthand stuff and chainline by replacing the lefthand crank with a righthand unit that has a chainring on it. A freewheel can be put on either the crank or the motor output so that you aren't driving the motor with the pedals when you're not using the motor. The pedals would turn whenenver the motor runs.

The Stokemonkey (one version of which was designed for the Yuba Mundo, IIRC) works like this.

All that said, a front hub would be simpler, if that's what you'd prefer. The potential catch would be if the disc calipers will properly clear the motor casing.

I think you are focusing on the wrong details for your build. Here's why;
Early on, after the original Puma/EzeeV1/BMC motor branched apart, each started an evolution process that was pretty much "in House", basicly Factory changes. There were detail differences at the time of their inceptions, but pretty much, the successive versions(ie: V1, V2, V3, V4), were about increasing power handling capacity. It could be debated that the early MAC was less sophisticated than the Ezee and BMC, the later two having axle seals for instance, but the differences were not really important to the majority of users.
As vendors adopted a brand for their offerings(MAC-em3ev, Ezee-Grin, BMC- Ebike SF), the next stages of development were more of a collaborative effort between the vendor and the factory.
The cogent point I'm trying to make is, in the latest versions, all three marks of large geared motors will work equally well for you application, especially, frt. mounts where there is less differences between the three. Unless you already have a battery and controller, you should expand your research to the total system, whether or not you will want a multi-function display(Cycle Analyst) and how does it intergrate into the system. The biggest expense will be the battery, so chemistry type, form factor, reliablity and cost are important. In general, buying everything from one vendor can save shipping costs, especially if the vendor is not on this continent(for those on this side of the ocean, the big shipping costs are incorporated into the product price).
That brings us to another consideration. Cost vs location of vendor. I haven't been shopping for a new system lately, but I believe that em3ve offers some savings over the others, due to the fact that Paul is in China and buys in very big lots. And even though em3ve has a history of good support, some folks feel more comfortable w/ a vendor who can be contacted w/ a simple phone call.
Bottom line, you need to look at the bigger picture and weigh the other factors, which are perhaps more important than "which motor".
Note: The one motor factor that is important is motor speed. You are going to want a high-speed(fast) motor, which in the case of the MAC, is the 12T.

Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'm leaning heavily towards an Ezee system from Grin. As motomech was saying, its best to get a system put together from one vendor, and I like the ease of communication with Grin. The kit includes the motor/controller/CA V3 and Torque Sensor. I was thinking of sourcing ebrake cutoff separately by buying the Tektro Hydraulic Levers that have them built in, and the lights from Busch and Muller.

In terms of batteries, it seems that the batteries from Luna a far cheaper for equivalent capacities and more options for cases etc. There is also much cheaper shipping for me to the states than from Canada. It seems that any 48v battery from Luna should work? Anyone have idea when they will be back in stock? Every time I try to add one to my basket it says "no cells available".

Thanks

dzecs said:

I'm leaning heavily towards an Ezee system from Grin. As motomech was saying, its best to get a system put together from one vendor, and I like the ease of communication with Grin. The kit includes the motor/controller/CA V3 and Torque Sensor. I was thinking of sourcing ebrake cutoff separately by buying the Tektro Hydraulic Levers that have them built in, and the lights from Busch and Muller.

In terms of batteries, it seems that the batteries from Luna a far cheaper for equivalent capacities and more options for cases etc. There is also much cheaper shipping for me to the states than from Canada. It seems that any 48v battery from Luna should work? Anyone have idea when they will be back in stock? Every time I try to add one to my basket it says "no cells available".

Thanks

Grin is amoung the very best. Their batteries and EM3ev are also among the best. EM3ev is the best value. Luna is just another China reseller when it comes to the battery you are considering. And their warranty among the worst.

dzecs said:

Thanks

You can model your system on the sim. at Ebike CA. Use the EZee Fast motor.

Back