very long phase wires

is this a problem? I cant get my motor to pass tests and could be a couple things (too big magnets, friction...) but i'd like to know for sure that my phase wires being long isn't one of them.

I should've been more clear...I cant get the motor to be controlled by the ..controller. Motors are failing the tests on the vesc. it could be a couple things but want to rule out the extra long motor wires. they're like 3 feet long. 3 feet long 10awg. loooonger than I've ever done. will that effect the connection between motor and esc?

3 feet is fine. You might have other problems. What kind of results do you get from the VESC motor detection?

I had a VESC board with a damaged mosfet driver, which caused the motor detection to fail and return some really strange values. It was confusing because I could still get the motor to spin up sometimes, but FOC didn't work. After replacing the damaged parts the detection went smoothly.

I plugged the focboxs in backward to the battery! there's no formal errors when I look for that, says none, but the voltage in realtime data is like 2 volts higher than it should be with one of them and it's getting warm while just doing the test. the other one is maybe fine. but I have a couple things that could be causing it not to pass bldc test such as the magnets being experimentally wide and also there's hard epoxy in the airgap slightly rubbing that I have to get out as it's giving resistance. i'll be narrowing down the options but one thing that makes no sense, and it also happens with another vesc I just tried(not the 2 focboxes above) is the resistance number while doing the foc test will fluctuate as much as 3x greater while doing the test. the rotor seems to be involved and if I hold it stationary or let it do it's cogging attempt to spin it'll give very different results. id think it wasn't involved at all. i'll try the test with no rotor too
sending the focoboxes back to make sure. drvwizard.com is a helpful guy that can be gotten quickly.

I also have to go to realtime data and do "sample" with this other vesc everytime I do another bldc or foc test for some reason. could be the focbox software being used with the 4.12 or maybe 4.15 vesc I have

I have 12awg wire, but 4mm bullets with them fancy dancy grips you slip on.
Grips melted even that, but I must admit they were taped together so I was lucky to find it when I did. I should snap a picture of my wiring, halls got about 10' taped together LOL

Long phase wires, even small ones, are not a cause for your controller not driving the motor. It could eventually cause overheating in practical operation, but you don’t need low resistance wiring for a controller to make a motor spin unloaded. Your problem is elsewhere. Check continuity of all phase and hall wires, check for proper hall and phase combo...

Back