Equipment to use with MXUS 3k Turbo

LexHammer

10 mW
Hello,
i want to use the MXUS 3k Turbo motor so i can have bicycle with the following spec:
1.Top speed around 70-80 km/h
2. Alot of acceleration
3. At least 70 km range per charge.
4. PAS function + cruise control
5. Display to control and watch it all
I want to be in the range of 4-6k watts. All i know is i want to use the MXUS 3k Turbo motor. What controller, battery and so on will i need to make it happen? Thank you!

Sorry to ask you this first instead of giving you an answer.

Who is installing these components? (honest question)

For range you need to go to Justin website at www.ebikes.ca and either go to motor sim or trip sim and use the google maps function on the pull down menu. It is quite a handy tool. It has your motor on their in the TURNS you have, 3t/4T/5T and so on. You can view top speed, play with the throttle.

Patchogue said:
Sorry to ask you this first instead of giving you an answer.

Who is installing these components? (honest question)

I am.
I just need to know good controller for this motor.
Also does the display that comes with the motor in some combos work, when he power is over 3k watts?

70-km is 43 miles of range. That is why my first post here was about efficiency. Typically, you can have high performance, or long range. If you want both, you must have an efficient system plus a huge battery. That will be expensive.

80 km/h is 50-MPH. I have a motorcycle license, and...I do not like to go over 40-MPH when I am using bicycle components. I'm not saying you shouldn't, but...you sound inexperienced. I don't know what your tools and skills are for assembling a safe vehicle that is intended to be high performance.

The MXUS motors come in various "turn counts", which is how many RPMs you get from a given voltage. I'd recommend a 17-inch moped tire and wheel (roughly a 22-inch diameter tire). If you agree, then that tells me the RPMs you would need to achieve 80 km/h.

The target RPMs are provided by the system voltage times the "turn count" (Kv) of the motor. Which turn-count of MXUS motor do you have? If you don't have it yet, which turn-counts are available to you?

The minimum voltage I would use to achieve this would be 20S, a nominal 72V (or...dual 36V batteries in series?). You might even end up needing 24S (100V). You have to determine the diameter of the wheel, the turn count of the motor, and the system voltage before you can choose a controller.

For high performance, I have heard good things about Sabvoton, but...I have no experience with them. Programming it to run well with your system may be complex. They are electric scooter and motorcycle controllers, so they are large. You would have to fit a large battery and a large controller onto a bicycle frame...

spinningmagnets said:
70-km is 43 miles of range. That is why my first post here was about efficiency. Typically, you can have high performance, or long range. If you want both, you must have an efficient system plus a huge battery. That will be expensive.

And heavy, and take a lot of space.

I get about 40 miles of range out of a 40Ah >35lb battery on SB Cruiser, and I'm just going about 14MPH average, 20MPH top speed / cruising, but with just over 3 seconds 0-20MPH, with a bit over 3kw of power peak. The OP's power usage will probably be similar with the higher speeds, partly because of the high accelerations.

50MPH is going to take quite a bit more power to maintain than I use up, so to get that kind of range will need a battery significantly bigger and heavier than mine.

Depending on the cells used, it might have to be even larger and heavier (so the cells aren't pushed too hard by the current draw).

My guess is the OP is going to end up with either a much shorter range than desired, or a much lower speed, or a bigger heavier bike (with slower acceleration because of that weight).

I'm glad you posted AW, you have more hands-on experience with long range riding. Yeah, sometimes its not about designing a system to try and meet a goal, its about deciding which parts of the performance targets you are most willing to give up, in order to achieve anything.

How much battery do I need?
Nominal voltage times amp hours = wh
Watt Hours (wh) required per mile on flat terrain with no wind. MTB
20mph=21wh
30mph=40wh
40mph=66wh
50mph=103wh
You can cut that in half or more with a recumbent bike/trike. You do the math as to what you need for your mileage.

I am.
I just need to know good controller for this motor.
Also does the display that comes with the motor in some combos work, when he power is over 3k watts?
Hey LexHammer,
I know this thread is from 2018, so sincere apology if bringing it up is sour. I am sure I read all the posts related and I dont see that anyone ever provided you with the information that you specifically asked for. I think the sum total of the information SpinningMagnets provided to you was that he did not know. I have had similar experiences attempting to acquire information on these subjects, in this realm, from these entities. Although I appreciate that the moderators seem smarter than me as well as more fearful of riding a bicycle, that has similar power as a motorcycle, than I am, neither of these characterisitcs are of any aid to me in my attempts to acquire information with direct questions that have received no responses. Could you please tell me what controller and display that you used with the MXUS 3k turbo72 volt 3000 watt hub motor? What size wheel was your motor paired with? Thank you for your time and consideration.
- EarthServant

Back