Sparking when connecting battery

sutty86

10 mW
Finally getting there with my DIY build.
Learnt so much.

So today was a good day , testing homemade 14s10p on controller ,throttle and hub, it works great, calipers are scoring the hub but I'm need to do some more filing tonight.

But the thing which is worrying me , is when plugging the xt90 from controller to battery it's making a pop sound , and damaging the xt90,

I've also put controller leads straight on to the battery and same thing it's sparking when adding the oppisite connection.
Bike is still functioning fine but I think this is going to put wear and tear on my xt90s.

Any ideas

Is that an XT90S connector with green stripe?

You need a precharge resistor to limit the current. You should have a DC circuit breaker inline with your battery anyway in case there is a short. Just have the resistor going across the breaker. Try 200 ohms as a starting point. It may take a few seconds to precharge depending on how big the caps are.

Yep the controllers capacitors are drawing inrush current to charge.

Raisedeyebrows said:
Is that an XT90S connector with green stripe?

These type connectors HAVE the pre-charge resistor installed, and should work well.

Luna Link

But if your looking for a step up... :D I installed this to eliminate a "hot" connection between the battery and controller.
The controller caps have to be less than 1500 mfd... Stuffed it in the back end of my bottle battery and put the switch in the front cockpit. Check out my signature to my build log for details.(has pics) :wink: Works great on my 15s system...

Remote Solid State Relay

Regards,
T.C.

You don’t know what sparks are, until you vapourize a 75A Anderson power pole shorting 4 bricks of hi C rate lipo, or explode a 200A controller in your living room.
:twisted:

Then avoiding the capacitors inrush sparks, only requires connecting first with a very small wire for one second. I prefer living with it, big connectors are lasting, and they are cheap to replace.

Back