Giant Twist - Ride Control Display problem

Ypedal

Staff member
Hi guys !

Been busy lately and have not been around here much.. but the ebike home-shop is very much still going .

Got an older model 2010 'ish .. Giant Twist , Lithium version, local bike shop no longer services or has parts for it.. it ended up here.

Main issue is the display " Ride Control " .. looks like this :
Giant Ride Control.jpg

The colored LED's on the side for mode and power level were not lighting up.. After much probing, found the wire going from the controller to the display dock ( the display clips out, 5 contact pins. ) was shorted out bad, most of the pins showed continuity between each other..

Cut the ends off, tested ok about 4" away, soldered those to a good cable and hooked it up, the LED"s come on.. and the backlight now works woot..

But, when i press the power button, it shuts off.. but will not come back on unless i pull the battery and plug the battery back in.. As soon as the battery is hooked up the display powers up automatically.. ( weird, i think it should always be off, unless you press the power button.. no ?> )

In all cases, the motor is pedal sensor activated and is always on when the battery is connected, no matter what the display does.. present or not..

anyone familiar with these bikes ?.. it's a long shot.. but .. anywho.

cheers.

Are you certain that all of the wires are connected to the same points they were before you had to remove the wire section?

If the battery positive to the display, and the switched battery positive out of the display, were swapped, it might have the symptoms you see.

I quadruple checked it and yes, i'm positive i got it right..

This thing is pedal assist only ( no throttle ) and 250w so the 3 modes are pretty much meaningless.. put it all back together and the kit works fine with or without the display... reached the max time limit on how much i'll work on it, so that's that lol...

Back