New Battery Placement

markz

100 TW
A half a roll of duct tape, and some 1/8" mdf board. Black Gorilla Tape is next so its better camo'd. I should mention, a flat bike tube was used around the crotch bar and had to do it in halves, meaning two pieces to wrap around bar. I may use zip ties to further re-enforce the mounting of the batt. to the top bar.

This puppy is nicely balanced now, I can pop curbs a lot better.

Just admiring my ghetto handiwork and snapped a pic. It looks a thousand times better then what I had before, a 1/2" wooden box hacked together

New Setup

Looks good a little tape never hurt nobody! Much better than the batt on the rear rack...now you gotta neaten up the wiring and controller.

skeetab5780 said:
Looks good a little tape never hurt nobody! Much better than the batt on the rear rack...now you gotta neaten up the wiring and controller.

This picture below is what I had before in many different formations on the rear rack. Previous to this wood box, Makita tool box, prev -> duct tape wood -> various plastic boxes all ontop of the rear rack. Also tried pannier style on the side of the rear rack, but there was too much leverage. I think a great one would have been a cut up milk crate and duct tape.

This wooden setup was with that orange tie down ratchet, worked great.

Yes the bottle cage still works with Large Cup, just barely. I will lower it.
My next battery will be brand new 3.5Ah 18650's with 15A discharge and will be much much much smaller then my current 1.6Ah 18650's with 15Ah. Well yeah it will be half the size with same Ah. Currently it is 13S in 10P with the front bit having 4P and the back bit having 6P. Both batt->cont leads on both bits are the same length.

your battery is not so much lower than luggage rack level.
so not many thieves would steal this, hard to sell something like his on Kiji.

Well this is my personal rig, and I keep thinking, and no offense to Amberwolf, that my rig is starting to get the begginnings of your rig.

I always get comments on how good my bike looks, because of the blue color. It sticks out and is noticeable.

Security
----------
I always tried to keep an eye on my bike, but that is not always possible. I mentioned in another thread that I go to a meeting once a week at a local school, we rent the room. I ride my ebike everywhere, and usually kept my bike in the hallway right outside the room door.

This winter the janitor told me to move the bike to the doorway about 25-30' down the hall to the entrance door. It turns out the other fella had his bike stolen from that doorway not too long ago. His was a new looking Infinity most likely from Walmart.

I was 50/50 on u-locking the back wheel when using the entry. But I have come to the conclusion I will be building a shitty looking ebike from an abondoned bike I found a month ago to use when going to that meeting. I've been debating whether to convert an alternator and use a sensorless controller. I did buy a Greentime controller and I do believe its sensor and less, so from the junk yard thats about $30cdn for a vehicle alternator.

I am worried however that it might not be enough power, so second solution is 2kw 6-10S 190kv RC motor with ESC all from Hobbyking USA Warehouse. The Kenda 63-64 190KV 10S is $62cdn plus $40cdn esc and gears I have. The bike itself is shabby looking old bike, had a 3 speed hub gear in the back.

Quite sometime ago I had a thought to have a quick release motor/esc
for times where I'd leave the ebike locked up and out of sight for a long time. Where I could take the motor/esc and battery in with me, in a backpack. So it would have to be compact, thats why I always thought about using RC motors.

So if you read all the way through to this point, I got the motor, but which ESC from Hobbyking do I buy?

Hot damn, its about time somebody invented the battery taped to the frame.

I found the easiest way to build bolt on battery boxes, was to make them out of wood and sheet aluminum. Aspen wood 1/2 inch thick for the ends and bottom, then metal sides. Fasten a 2x2 board to the frame somehow, then the box screws or bolts to that. Easy, quick, and solid.

Doesn't have to be that ugly, though I have to say this example wasn't for beauty, I just needed the battery in the middle for handling during the race. way to big to fit in the frame.

Race bike, halloween 2011.jpg

Well a couple days riding with the taped battery and its good. Bike fell once on its side today (from a kickstand position) and the batteries rotated because as I said, I halved inner tubes then taped onto that. Just a quick pop back into place. More Gorilla black duct tape to wrap around the headset tube and seat tube, or thin metal taped to just past the tubes. Rode about 25km today to pick up the alternator. A thread is coming soon for that build.

True, gorilla tape is superior duct tape.

Just be careful where you park it. Lest somebody calls in the thing.

dogman dan said:
True, gorilla tape is superior duct tape.

Just be careful where you park it. Lest somebody calls in the thing.

I remember a few years back i was commuting to work on my tidalforce s-750 with a crystalyte 5304 and a lyen 12-fet with a battery backpack looking like the uni-bomber. I have to commute right past the DCU center in Worcester, MA and president Obama was supposed to be there this day for a speech. There where black SUVs all over the place. I was scared shitless thinking i was going to get sniped riding by on my contraption.

Nevermind walking into the grocery store while holding the other end of your power cord thats hanging from your pack looks a tad bit sketchy. You can really mess with people.

Gorilla tape is sticky but I found if it sits in the direct sun on a hot day the sticky stuff kind of turns to soup, had a few problems with that, it really absorbs heat cause it’s black.

Also, if you leave it on for a long time, it will be difficult to remove. The adhesive turns into a solid and unless you want to scrape it off, it can be challenging to get off. I've tried alcohol, acetone, Goof-Off water, etc. with no luck. It's still great stuff though.

Back