Show off your lebowski controller

I'd love to see a flying video with this motor... Is it going to be a small ultralight vehicle with a seat or a big parachute with the prop on your back ?

Which current sensors do you have, 100 A ?

I hope I get something like this:

6_87.jpg

phase current 200a maximum, current sensors ACS758-200
the project is not over yet, but I hope to finish by summer

View attachment 1
SSZhBhwIKbY.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dapMgQMv4eg

That motor is great, and very light, I suppose.
I like how all the connections are brought on the 3 common busbars in the center of the motor.

Would it be possible to parallel 2 current sensors by piggybacking them, and read the current from only one of them, while halving the current limit values in the program?

Altair said:
Would it be possible to parallel 2 current sensors by piggybacking them, and read the current from only one of them, while halving the current limit values in the program?
Yes, it is possible to connect in parallel, but it is better to also connect the outputs through the matching scheme (as described in appnote Allegro). https://www.google.ru/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjAodrlsO7YAhULiywKHfOQBygQFggwMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allegromicro.com%2F~%2Fmedia%2FFiles%2FTechnical-Documents%2FAN295036-Current-Sensor-ICs-In-Current-Divider-Configurations.ashx%3Fla%3Den&usg=AOvVaw0IJMqBlTlV5UcYGVCX_8mM

Otherwise, the accuracy will decrease.

Tomdb said:
Got a lebowski Chip controlling a Honda IMA inverter Gen 2 i believe.

Tom, is that top pic the one you used for the IMA inverter? It looks so simple! Would you be willing to share the design files?

Altair said:
What kind of coating are you using on the motor? Is it thermally conductive?
The stator is impregnated with lacquer Plastik71 and is painted with a black matte paint. I do not think that the color noticeably improved the cooling.
The temperature of the windings after a few minutes of full gas does not exceed 90 degrees.

I have my Lebowski running a Heinzman PMS120 dual stator single rotor axial flux motor beautifully in sensorless mode, it runs super smooth and quiet and starts up with no issues every time. It also runs my big block equally well after re-running the FOC motor impedance test. I have a Hammond case on order and once the controller is boxed up I will post some pics and a video. I was really surprised how quickly it was possible to reconfigure the controller from the Heinzman to the big block. More to come ….

Here are interface boards intended to run all three inverters inside Ampera/Volt controller. I like to complicate and overplan my designs, but that means i can still use them in case of a mistake ;).

3x Lebowski interface board.
Rightmost chip is master to drive main PMSM like Leaf motor. Precharge and DC contactor starts from a simple voltage trigger with TL431 and 5V DCDC. I use variable pot to set the trigger point. That means below this point inverter shuts down.
Middle chip is basicaly the same with the difference of I/Os connected to arduino nano chip fitted above. In case of generator drive this arduino would remotly drive throttle and RPM and time delay of generator.
If another motor would be used Nano could control it as a comparator to first drive throttle.
Third chip is meant to control small inverter and AC compressor. Here Nano would also control slope of throttle at signal turnon. It is not intended to be fancy, since turnon signal is taken from existing AC relay.

Currently i am experimenting with this drive and for now it can drive scooter wheel at 50Vdc. Soon i will try it with Leaf motor.

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_233750.jpg
    IMG_20180727_233750.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 2,315
A short vid of the Lebowski contoller running a Gen2 Nissan Leaf motor in sensorless on 18S. The motor draws about 1.1A at full throttle. Sensorless startup is pretty good and I am about half way towards a Lebowski based drop in board for the Chevy Volt inverter that includes resolver support. There are two identical power stages in the Volt inverter so potential for a 222kW inverter if both stages can be linked successfully.

[youtube]lKR9pX89Jf8[/youtube]

Well it didnt worked out with dual/triple Lebowski PCB. There were some mistakes onboard and i couldnt repair them good enough to have reliable function out of the board. So i decided to start again small. I made a single board on basis of Volt inverter.
It has basic Lebowski functions:
- Sensorless start
- hall sensor interface for assist
- precharge and DC contactor control performed by TL431 diode, optocoupler, BD140/Tip122 transistor combo with 2x relais.
- reverse option
- Fault output connected to reset circuit

For simplicity I did not include analog DC voltage and BackEMF sensing. Also here i dont use temperature sensors.
With Lebowski help I was able to start Leaf motor as well as Emrax motor using 360Vdc Volt/Ampera battery
Proof of concept is achieved. Rev. 0 board is usable directly by anyone who needs to quickly start motor with Volt interface.
For more elaborate Rev. 1 next i will include PCB with:
- analog DC voltage sensing
- CAN I/O interface chip onboard
- BackEMF sensing
- Temperaure sensing
- Arduino Nano precharge interface control with options to interconnect other functions as well.
I had to adapt this board to function also from the other side of inverter. In future next board will be immediately interchangable from MG1 to MG2 position.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/

Attachments

• IMG_20190331_215446.jpg
    IMG_20190331_215446.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 1,877
  • IMG_20190331_215541.jpg
    IMG_20190331_215541.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 1,877
As Cole mentioned elsewhere we have been working together on a project to get the Honda IMA inverter running properly with a Lebowski BobC brain. We have the setup running pretty well in sensorless mode at 190V. Both the IMA inverter and the Hyundai HSG 6 pole pair motor are good for in excess of 20kW output according to Oakridge Labs in the USA. The HSG is rated to 15,750 rpm and with 50A of field weakening on the Lebowski controller I got just over 14k rpm with a laser tach. Current draw at 6200 rpm is 2A.

Cole and I are working on a resolver solution so that the integrated resolver on the HSG can be plugged straight into the modified IMA inverter. This combo will make an awesome solution for dirt bikes,karts, and scooters.

The Lebowski/IMA inverter also runs the Nissan Leaf motor very nicely albeit at substantially reduced power.

[youtube]sUt4KS5k2A0[/youtube]

Lebowski SMD brain running a zombified Honda IMA Inverter: *a HOW-TO guide*

I'll edit stuff into this post as i get pics and results; the thread linked above will be as complete a documentation as I can make, so anyone else can use it to do the same thing.

The project will likely depend heavily on Kiwifiat's and Coleeasterling's knowledge gleaned from the project above this post. :)

This time i used the rear Aux power section which is located under the main cap. Phase cables are routed to the front face of inverter and one can get the connector from Mouser or Digikey.

First prototype drive i made with a small PCB that i could fit next to previous single board inside Volt inverter.
This drive is meant to run AC compressor from Prius gen2 via the Aux connector on the side.
I use 40pin PDIP chip because of ease of assembly. The control used is sensorless drive using ACPL current sensors.
There is no throttle. I use 12V AC clutch command pulse to latch to throttle signal and create as if throttle would be applied up to 2/3 max position.
After some testing i managed to stabilize runup enough so compressor allways starts under load.

Later design will include one complete PCB with all controls to run one motor from both power drives with aux inverter running AC compressor.

Attachments

• IMG_20190716_165520.jpg
    IMG_20190716_165520.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 657
  • img_20200420_210646.jpg
    img_20200420_210646.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 657
Back