I have switched nocturnal to be able to keep up with Matthew... I usually aspire to get up by 6AM (or at least 8AM) but today I was awoken by the sound of Matthew calling me at noon.
Been a long time since I have slept till noon
So yesterday my big goal was to get the bike somewhat street-able
* Got the chain on the rig and corrected a reversed idler pulley install that had always been there
* Got the 18T sprocket installed - though it rubs a touch on the frame. A thin washer or a quick grind will fix it
* Stole a busted old 6" disk off of another project and got that installed - it lines up and works perfect with no rubbing and wobbling side to side like the bastard Crystalyte hubs.
* Got the current limit turned up to at least 150A DC, CA reads 180A peak but it is not like I can look down and read it while pitched out sideways ripping up the street.
I am used to the 203mm... but lucky that this little 6" will clear the frame. Works great and now I remember why I loosened the hand brake up so much... locks up the rear in a second and brings it around. Fun but sucks when you jack-knife.
Gotta get the 150A videos posts... just been laying rubber down the street... and I am not talking about this sissy stuff where you drag the front brake and lean forward a touch. I am talking about leaning back and rolling on the throttle and just feeling the rear end start swaying side to side burping chunks of rubber. Just the right amount of smoke show and hooking up to be fun - churps and burps and skips on every takeoff and around every corner but still hooks up enough to "feel fast"
24 fet builds... New method is to use a paper towel to buff in the heat sink compound. Then kapton tape. Then another buff on top of that for the back of the fets. No sense in having that goopey crap dripping all over the place - that does nothing but make a mess and make me angry. Kapton here is 0.0015 thick and I tighten the shit out of the fasteners - tape is tough as nails.
This swamp-gas machine totally smoked us out last night. I was running big long strips of 8AWG through it just pouring in flux and smoke filled not only our whole workshop but the hallway and entire entrance to the building. Nasty sweatshop bastards...
* Made a bad-ass video. It was late in the afternoon so it came out dark - BUT - we turned up the brightness and contrast and it came right back! Trick is that now we have to re-save it with the changes and neither of us have editing software. Matthew is downloading some nonsense today so we can do it. Trike dominates at 150A 300Phase
So... how do I refer to it? As a 150A bike or as a 300A bike? I guess watts is more appropriate - so it is a 13kw trike. At least burst... heat on the controller is not the limiting factor just BEMF. Thing actually does not want that much current on 24S - thinking about trying a 24" tire to move the power band up a little bit. Right now it is a little too much off the line and not quite enough at 20mph. Would love to see that 150A get pulled to 30mph
Controller did not even get warm - Farfle for the win. That thing is amazing.