Honda Civic Hybrid motor, 12" x 2" pancake inrunner

spinningmagnets

Staff member
Title says it all, pulled from a junkyard very cheap. Located between engine and transmission, so you have to pull the engine to get at it. Designed for 10kW, 144V (70A peaks?)

Fast Forward to 5:00 mark for motor removal (second motor pull shown at 9:20)

Fast Forward to 6:40 for 144V battery removal

https://youtu.be/wEZ5dacqyKc?t=284

[youtube]wEZ5dacqyKc[/youtube]

Looks like a lot of motor for "just" 10kw, what format are the cells? Were those cylinders running the phases capacitors?

Years ago, there were some guys that reported using them at around 60kW burst in a racing application. They never provided details and disappeared. I worked on a housing for awhile before moving to some other hybrid motors. I'll finish the IMA project at some point, but it is low on the list.

With more of these cars ending at the scrap yard every year it might be profitable for someone to design a CNC made motor casing and axle for these motors. And to find a suitable controller to drive it.

SlowCo said:
With more of these cars ending at the scrap yard every year it might be profitable for someone to design a CNC made motor casing and axle for these motors. And to find a suitable controller to drive it.

That's exactly what I had originally planned to do. The motor is large enough that machining the housing from billet or tube or whatever is not cost-effective (and I own a CNC machine shop). It will have to be a casting. The stock housing and mounting of the motor is not reliable given that most of these are coming from salvaged vehicles. The sheet metal shell around the motor warps in a crash and would throw the central axis of the rotor off from the stator.

coleasterling said:
The motor is large enough that machining the housing from billet or tube or whatever is not cost-effective (and I own a CNC machine shop). It will have to be a casting. The stock housing and mounting of the motor is not reliable given that most of these are coming from salvaged vehicles. The sheet metal shell around the motor warps in a crash and would throw the central axis of the rotor off from the stator.

But with these cars getting older with high mileage there will start turning up examples at the scrap yard that don't have front end damage. And if the Honda motor casing is undamaged then al that seems needed is a front and rear aluminum plate (10mm : 3/8" thick) with a bolt on bearing housing and an axle. That should be doable in a cost effective way.

Biggest challenge after that is finding a suitable controller and battery pack. Maybe the new Power Velocity offering will work?:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99621

The ima system got an upgrade on the electric motor the mk1 civic used a Manuel box and a weaker motor then gen 2 uses a slightly beefier motor and cvt box.

That be the one to hot rod but it need to be in a go kart to get any decent performance.

Back