Motor Features Query

carl2.0

10 W
Hey Guys

I've been given the all clear to do a design and build project of an electric drive to replace a gasoline drive for a small motorcycle. This is my final year Mechanical Engineering project so its really important and I'm trying to do as much research during the summer as possible.

Im in the process of deciding which motor to select, Im looking for a 48v motor but Im trying to understand some features of DC motors.

This is what I understand about the influence of difference motor features on an EV ( correct me if Im wrong)

Voltage- Gives an idea of the max speed which can be reached
Hp- Gives a meausure of the torque of the motor which contributes to the accel
RPM - Gives a measure of the speed ( unsure of how RPM effects the performance in an EV)
Continous current- (max current the motor can draw )

Just trying to get some help understanding these features and what ever I may have forgotten

Carl,

For a given motor, increasing the voltage will increase the RPM.

Hp is a unit of power, not torque. For a PMDC motor, power output is zero at 0 RPM, and peaks at half of the no-load RPM. Torque output is maximum at 0 RPM and zero at the no-load RPM.

The higher the RPM a given motor is run at, the greater the power output.

The higher the maximum continuous current a given motor can handle (heat dissipation), the higher the maximum continuous torque and hence the higher the maximum power it's capable of sustaining continuously, too.

Back