currie xyd motors

flyinmonkie

10 kW
I have been looking at the currie xyd scooter motors and have an xyd-13 600w. I have seen an xyd 900w and they range from 250w to 1000w all in the same size housing. What I am wondering is if there is any difference on the inside of the motors, or if they are all the same. Most of them say they are 24v or 36v, or either. The more the volts, the the higher the watts. The amp range for them is all very similar as well and varies depending on the seller as to what each on is.

http://www.thesuperkids.com/scmococoki.html

Here are some examples. They have from 450w to 750w versions. The 100w with the rear wheel assembly looks like the same motor as well.

So has anyone been in them to see if they are actually different? I have a 600w I have overvolted with sla's to 36v with out a problem. I want to got to 44v of lipo though.

Clay

I gather the powerpack 1000 wat motor is larger than the currie ...

http://www.thesuperkids.com/600wahspsuto.html

What are you trying to do ?

The XYD motors are a brushed motor. The power pack is a brushless. That would be the big difference.

I have used the 600w XYD I have on 2 very different bike so far, a mt bike and a chopper bike. At 24v it was pretty lame. 36v wasn't bad, but I was using SLA's. I am using it for a 3rd bike now, a dirt jump. This one I will be using lipo and trying 44.4v. I figure that will give me about 1000w from this motor. I am wondering if anyone has been in, or knows if the XYD motors vary inside or if they just give a wattage based on the voltage they put in them. Basically I want to know if I am going to melt my motor at 44.4v, or if it will hold up.

Clay

Would not the safe method be 1.5 times the rated volts of your motor..
can you just keep the motor at 36V and increase the drive sprocket tooth count..
the amps draw will climb way up, but if your using a good newer type battery no problem ..

I have tested a 350 watt 24V XYD changing the drive sprocket from the standard 11 tooth drive & 55 tooth wheel
I tested 12, 13, 14, and 16 gears..
my 350 watt motor will pull over 700 watts
so that tells me the motors can pull atleast .5x more amps than they are rated...

...if the XYD motors vary inside or if they just give a wattage based on the voltage they put in them.

Would be good to know for me aswell ??

The largest 900 watt XYD motor I have found is rated for 24V from monsterparts
These motors come with so many different ratings.. just try and look at alibaba for XYD..

Well, I'll be putting 44v through my 600w one soon. I just need some wire and connectors and to mount my batteries and controller. We will see if the curie gets curried. You can check out the build thread here.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19841

Clay

Have you tried the higher voltage out yet ??

Im curious because I have not upgraded my 24V motor yet, and I have a battery pack total voltage upwards of 48V..

Not yet. Might be another 2 weeks or so. I have used 36v and it was just fine, never even got too hot to hold my hand on.

Clay

I have been running the 24/900 watt motor on 37 volt lipos and a 60 amp controller. To date I have measured it to pull 77amps with a voltage drop to 35.7 volts on my son's OSET trials bike. This is significantly more power out than its stated 900 watts. I have a motor test data sheet on the 600 watt motor which lists a stall current at about 150 amps. Of course there is no efficiency at this output and the motor would not last long in that state.

If anyone has the motor test data on the 24v/900 watt or the 36v/1000 motor please let me know.

Rick

I haven't run 44.4v yet, bu t I have run at 22.2v (25v off the charger) I have seen 98 amps for a very short period (burst) and can pull 70 some amps up steep hills. I have seen 700 some watts as well. The motor still does not get too hot to hold my hand on it. I am just waiting for a little more wire to add the second set of packs to go to 44.4v. Back when I do that or check my build log.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19841

Clay

50v is too much for the 600w 24v currie scooter motor. It was great for 8 minutes, and then it melted in a poof of smoke. It got hot pretty quick, so it wasn't a surprise when it toasted itself. Was fun while it lasted though. 62K/hr and 5200 plus watts. The details are here http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19841&start=90

Clay

I've been running a curie Ezip-750 motor (rated 24v 28amp) with 12s lipo charged to ~49 volts, and a 30 amp controller.

It works great and I've been using it for commute every day for about 2 months. It does 33 mph on a flat with decent acceleration with me standing and also goes uphill pretty good (I weight 180). With 20 amp hour lipo (they all fit in the stock battery compartment) I'm guessing it can go 25-30 miles if needed, but anyways I keep the battery charged in the 50-85 % range (I do bulk charging).

The motor gets a bit warm after a 2.5 mile city ride with a lot of full throttle and stop and go, but not too bad you can hold your hand on it for a few seconds in a hot summer day, or almost indefinitely on a colder day. It does get too hot to the touch after a 5-6 mile ride.

I want to make holes for venting but haven't done it yet. Tried to disassemble one motor once but couldn't take the cover off.

What is the permanent demagnetization temperature to avoid on these motors ? I read 300 C in one place, and 80 C in another.

I notice a bit of a decrease in torque by the end of the ride, but it bounces back when it cools. I'm not sure if there is a slow decrease in power over time, maybe there is, would need to put a new motor in to test.

Back